New cmax 128mpg

Pumpman

Hi,

I just got my cmax energi last month and have 550 miles on it. I mainly use it on electric as i work close by. My dash reads about 128 mpg isn hat correct? it continues to go up every time i drive it. I thought 108 was the maximum the cmax could do. How high can it go?

Also what about engine break in. Do i need to run the engine? How much? I just got a letter formoil change at 7500 miles is that combined or is there a way to see non-electric miles so i know when to do oil change?

I think i used engine for maybe 20 miles so far.

Should tHe engine be run once week?

I mainly go to,places now that have level 2 charging. My ford dealer is near supermarket so i get a free charge while i shop. I charge overnight at home and may get level 2 charger. So far the one 110v charger that came with car is fine.

Also can you use cmax with level 3 charger?

Very happy with lease!! Saving $200 month in gas.

Richard

Hiya pumpman,

First, there's a sister forum for Energi owners, at http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/, but most Energi owners read both forums.

Your dash is reading correctly, but you have to think about what exactly it's measuring. It's looking at miles traveled against actual gasoline consumption. Using that scale, the Energi can reach ridiculous numbers if you drive in EV mode enough. But you can go to Settings -> Display -> Units and convert the screen to show MPGe instead of MPG, and that will count EV miles using a kW->gallons measurement.

You do want to break the engine in eventually, but there's no real hurry. I received my car right before christmas, and broke it in with a family road trip. Ignore the dealer an their oil change schedule, the car will tell you when it needs an oil change, and it'll be up to 20,000 miles if you drive in EV mode a lot.

The engine will turn itself on for 'oil maintenance mode' and for 'gas freshness mode' if you don't use it enough, so you don't need to deliberately try to run it. On the other hand, it's a fun car to drive, so go out and have a drive now and then, get the engine hot and burn a little gas on the weekend.

There's no gain for a level 3 charger, we're limited to a 3.3kW charge rate (and many level 2 chargers are twice that).

• 8 months later...

yeah, that's kind of like jay Leno's volt, he drove it less than 40 miles to work each day, so practically never used gas, so his mpg ended up being something ridiculous, I forget the actual #, but it was like 10,000mpg because all his miles were EV.

I could get my C-max trip mpg to read 999.0mpg if I make a short trip all electric. Or just drive forward a foot. Or coast downhill.

The only thing I would worry about is that ethanol tends to decay after 3 months. You don't want to run separated fuel through the engine. To avoid this, either fill up with E0 fuel, or purchase some fuel stabilizer. Keep in mind too that unless you run your vehicle completely out of fuel every 3 months- you'll have some "bad" gas in there. It will still burn, but it's not so good for your engine. I can't recommend a specific brand of stabilizer- Sta-Bil is what I use in our van that only gets driven like 5k miles a year or less. 

I just checked to be sure- our vehicles come with a "lifetime" fuel filter. No, it won't last forever. It lasts until the fuel pump is replaced. I've done an experiment on my Ford Focus that I bought new replacing the fuel filter 25k miles or 1 year. Typically fuel pumps last about 120k miles or so. I've gone 160k currently. Ford has gone to these lifetime fuel filters because most people do not ever change their fuel filters until the pump goes out. I've replaced many fuel pumps and removed factory, gooey clogged filters. What's the point if people don't know or don't care? I seriously doubt that there is some new magic technology that makes this filter last a lifetime. 

That being said I suggest using some stabilizer or suffer a fuel pump and filter replacement earlier than expected. Your ICE mileage will likely be better as well. 

• 1 month later...

You sure about that?  I know the VOLT has a pressurized gas tank and automatically burns gas if it is getting stale.  I have not read similar claims about the Energi. 

There's more info here:  http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com   

but it's also in the OM (page 189):

Fuel Freshness Mode (Energi Vehicles Only)

Fuel freshness mode keeps the fuel system functional and the fuel fresh. Old fuel can damage the engine and fuel system. If operated

continuously in EV Now mode, fuel freshness mode will use up to a half tank of fuel every 9 months. Fuel freshness mode will operate the vehicle in hybrid mode to consume the fuel. During fuel freshness mode EV Now mode will not be available.

Fuel freshness mode will provide messages in the information displays screen to indicate that it is functioning. Fuel freshness mode will run until the needed amount of fuel has been consumed. Adding at least

1 gallon of fresh fuel to the tank will suspend the fuel freshness mode. The vehicle will determine when to run the fuel freshness mode based

on how much fuel was added to the tank, and on how long it has been driven in EV Now mode. Up to 9 months of additional time will be gained if an equal amount of fresh fuel is added to the existing amount of fuel that is in the tank.

Fuel freshness mode will eventually bring the tank level to one gallon if fuel is not added. This feature will not activate if your fuel tank has one gallon of fuel or less.

If the vehicle is used in a manner that rarely runs the engine, it is recommended to keep the fuel level to about the amount that will be consumed every 6 months. For example, if four gallons are used on average, let the fuel level reduce to about 1/8 of a tank, then add in 4 gallons. This will keep the fuel fresh and prevent fuel freshness mode from activating. 

​There's also an Oil Maintenance Mode:

Oil Maintenance Mode (If Equipped)

The oil maintenance mode is equipped on Energi models only. The oil maintenance mode keeps the engine oil quality in good condition when you drive the vehicle with limited engine use. If the vehicle is in oil maintenance mode when you start the vehicle, a message will appear in the instrument cluster. While the vehicle is in oil maintenance mode, the vehicle will run the engine as necessary.

If you select the EV Now mode while the vehicle is in the oil maintenance mode, EV Now mode will be suspended for as long as you are in oil maintenance mode.

The oil maintenance mode will resume the next time you start the vehicle. Changing the engine oil and resetting the oil life monitoring system will suspend the oil maintenance mode. 

Edited by fotomoto