Thinking about buying a C-Max (Prius Owner)

Disluvr

Hi I have a 2008 Prius getting about 44 mpg.  I've been thinking about trading it in for a CMax but reading alot of reviews about the CMax getting poor mileage.  What is the true MPG on the CMax?  Anything special that I need to know or look for in possibly purchasing one?  What kind of warranty do they have?

Why did you get yours and do you like it?

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm a new owner who's only on a second tank of gas and currently averaging 46.4mpg.  Former 2010 prius owner and avg. around 46-48mpg in it.  I like the additional room, drivers seat/ride height, features, power, ride quality and power lift gate as I frequently carry a lot of equipment.  The EV+ is a great feature that can really help once the car learns your routes.  

Have had mine a month now. Still breaking in and getting 43.2 to 58.3 depending on the temp outside and speed. My daily commute is 33 miles(30 highway 65mph and 3 city streets) Have been get 46.8mpg to 47.2mpg. The car is just now starting to remember my frequent destinations and allowing me to go into EV+ mode.(home, work, grocery store) For instants I drove 3 miles to a store that I don't frequent very often got 45.6 mpg going. Coming home EV+ turned on and I averaged 58.3. The more you drive the better the milage gets up to I believe 7500 miles then mpg's top out.

I love mine. I test drove a Prius and did not like it.Road noise was bad, seats hurt my back, no power, cheap plastic everywhere. The C-Max is a far better car.Quiet ride, seats are great on long trips, better quality interrior, and power if you need it.

Hope I helped you make up your mind

Why we ordered ours:

1. Excellent EPA ratings (and, I believe, real-world when properly driven and compared)
  2. Can go up to 62 mph on battery alone
  3. "Wagon" body style for hauling lots of stuff (just don't care for sedans)
  4. Great headroom plus seat adjusts really high
  5. Lots of interior space especially for a relatively short car
  6. The Prius V alternative was never test driven (can't stand that dashboard - what you look at all the time!) along with the other oft quoted "cons"
  7. Great set of hybrid related gauges with lots of options
  8. Assembled in USA
  9. And of course, my wife and I just "liked it".

In my opinion if you drive it like a regular car 36+. An experienced hybrid driver 45+. I'm a new Hybrid driver and do a mix of regular driving and hypermiling and average 40+. It probably won't beat your regular Prius with your same driving style, but if you test drive it you'll see it's an all around more fun car to drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 2 week job where my C-max rental was getting between 50-53 MPG in an 11 mile Rush Hour Hotel to Work Site daily loop.  At home I have a daily 140 Mile commute and I am getting 42-46 MPG depending on traffic, route, temp and Driving Style.

I drove a friends Prius and then a the C-Max and I was hooked.  I just wish I was home more so I can drive.

In my opinion if you drive it like a regular car 36+. An experienced hybrid driver 45+. I'm a new Hybrid driver and do a mix of regular driving and hypermiling and average 40+. It probably won't beat your regular Prius with your same driving style, but if you test drive it you'll see it's an all around more fun car to drive.

Great summary dtorres! One thing I might add is that with the first steer and step on the gas pedal, you'll never want to step back into a Prius again. Better handling and better power. I cannot stop commenting on how GOOD the CMax is at cornering and such precise steering - makes this one of the most fun car to drive on a canyon road with the switchbacks, tight pin turns and the best thing, it doesn't feel top heavy due to the batteries being low. OP, just take a decent test drive of it....plain jane straight street does the CMax no justice, imo.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax