"What is the real MPG for your car?"

Jus-A-CMax

So I just finished some light gym work and decided to head down to the golf store to regrip my putter. Windows was down since it was a gorgeous 66F here in the San Fernando valley and I was just P&G along Victory (a 35mph street).

Next thing I knew I heard a "Hello!" or something. So I turned my head and he was this guy in a white BMW cruising next to me and he yells out "What's the real MPG?". 

Wow. what do I do here? I was stunned...this has not happened to me before.

So I took my left finger and pointed at my dash and yelled out "47"...technically it was 47.5 MPG. Then I yelled out at hiim "640 miles on a tank" and then continued my drive. I noticed he was driving considerably slower on the fast lane behind me and I was going 35-40mph (good ole P&G). 

We met again one last time about 30 seconds later and I looked over and yelled out: "Go check out the net". I didn't have time to spell out this forum as I had to make a right turn down Whitsett.

Never had this happened before. I was thinking to pull over but I thought - nah, I gotta get to the golf shop and get my stuff done. Who knows that guy might be reading this thread in a few days.... ;)

Anyone else have other interesting CMax stories?

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

So I just finished some light gym work and decided to head down to the golf store to regrip my putter. Windows was down since it was a gorgeous 66F here in the San Fernando valley and I was just P&G along Victory (a 35mph street).

Next thing I knew I heard a "Hello!" or something. So I turned my head and he was this guy in a white BMW cruising next to me and he yells out "What's the real MPG?". 

So I took my left finger and pointed at my dash and yelled out "47"...technically it was 47.5 MPG. Then I yelled out at hiim "640 miles on a tank" and then continued my drive. I noticed he was driving considerably slower on the fast lane behind me and I was going 35-40mph (good ole P&G). 

We met again one last time about 30 seconds later and I looked over and yelled out: "Go check out the net". I didn't have time to spell out this forum as I had to make a right turn down Whitsett.

Never had this happened before. I was thinking to pull over but I thought - nah, I gotta get to the golf shop and get my stuff done. Who knows that guy might be reading this thread in a few days.... ;)

I started to believe you until you put BMW and "driving considerably slower" in the same story :)

Today I was waiting to get my hair cut and this guy came up and said "Are you the one who drives the C-Max?"  I was like oh great, what did he do to it?  "How do you like it?"  Phew, I told him I loved it.  He then asked if it was full electric or a hybrid.  He said he was looking at buying a ford.  

Edited by zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt...lol, that was the weird thing...and it was a nice white BMW coupe as well, looked new...so why would he want to buy a CMax. Huh. But the weirdest thing was that he was driving even slower in the fast lane behind me and I was doing the speed limit....gotta p*ss off the traffic behind him... :runaway:

I have only been questioned by one person in the shopping mall a couple of months ago.  I was very careful to talk about winter mileage, the impact of warming up the car etc.  I didn't want him to think I had duped him down the road if he bought one and didn't get the advertised mileage.  The mileage really varies here in our climate.  Husband said he should have taken a picture the other day when he moved the car a half block when he was washing it and got 127 L per 100 kilometers--he was aghast LOL.

My friend that is why I created a decal along the bottom edge of my rear window which reads...fordcmaxhybridforum.com made it using die-cut white vinyl letters I bought at Office Max. Letters are about .25in high white helvetica font

How do you two get 999 mpg?  What are we doing wrong?

Well as the display says, that's what happens when you can drive 100% EV.  This part of the overall shopping run was a short drive between two stores.

Had someone stop me in a parking lot to ask about my baby. Just had to show him the trip screen. 33.6 miles, 7.4 EV miles, 47.6 MPG, .7 gal of gas used. It made him a believer.

While leaving a store parking lot last night, I had the guy next to me who was also leaving, stop unlocking his door, and watch me silently back out.  He had this dumbfounded expression on his face; like he truly couldn't believe what he was seeing and (not) hearing as I continued on in EV.   :happy feet:

Edited by fotomoto

Was quizzed by a husband and wife pushing a baby in a stroller at a Lowes parking lot last weekend.  Wanted to hear about mileage ( showed them the Lifetime which is at 42.6) and were curious if their stroller would fit in the rear, so kicked the hatch opener and let them look. (It looked like it would fit).  I had stuff stashed there from my shopping.

They had driven a Prius but had performance concerns, but really wanted to have a Hybrid.  I pointed them to the Ford dealer I used, who is about 3 minutes away, and said to drive the C-Max, that is the proof.

One buyer at a time......

I went to see the new movie Oblivion.  It just came out today so in case everyone doesn't know what it't about I'll fill you in a bit.  It's a futuristic Science Fiction.  Okay now for the relation to my Max.  When I get out of a movie theatre it takes me a while to adjust to being back into reality.  We got into the car.  Started it up and all I could hear was the battery noise and I felt like I was in a futuristic car!  Wow that was cool!  BTW, I really liked Oblivion.  

I FINALLY got to meet the owner of the Blue Candy SE that visits occasionally just down the street from me. I was returning from taking Asia to meet a friend for dinner and lo and behold, he was walking out to his car!!! Of course I slammed on the brakes (brake score 75% :>( and honked the horn. At first the poor guy looked startled, then got a big grin on his face  when he recognized the car and walked over to chat. :hi5:  He apparently does mostly freeway travel, at freeway speeds, :shift:  so he's not getting the MPGs that he could, but he seemed ok with it. He looked a little stunned when I told him that my last tank was 44mpg. :drop:  Of course I told him about this forum, so maybe he'll stop by sometime.

I FINALLY got to meet the owner of the Blue Candy SE that visits occasionally just down the street from me. I was returning from taking Asia to meet a friend for dinner and lo and behold, he was walking out to his car!!! Of course I slammed on the brakes (brake score 75% :>( and honked the horn. At first the poor guy looked startled, then got a big grin on his face  when he recognized the car and walked over to chat. :hi5:  He apparently does mostly freeway travel, at freeway speeds, :shift:  so he's not getting the MPGs that he could, but he seemed ok with it. He looked a little stunned when I told him that my last tank was 44mpg. :drop:  Of course I told him about this forum, so maybe he'll stop by sometime.

Too funny. I swear, us older owners could do a "tip" night to teach the newer drivers how to drive and maximize their CMax. I am sure they have not heard of "feathering".  :)

Adair, ur funny! Only a C-Max owner would state their exact brake score ;0)

I've only had one person recognize the C-Max specifically.  A family got out of an Expedition parked next to me and the guy said they were a "Ford family" and wanted to know all about the C-Max and how I liked it.

Other than that the only time it gets a second look is when it's plugged in to a public charger.  Then I've had people ask how much it costs to charge and how far it goes.  The often comment it's the first time they've ever seen a car plugged in to one of those stations.

This weekend I saw a runner do a double take when he saw it and go over and inspect it all the way around, then continue running.  I was running on the far side of the parking lot so I didn't have a chance to talk to him.

I've had quite a few people ask about it.  One was a guy at work who wants a new ride to haul a 17-foot kayak (I'm not kidding), and a guy was checking it out in a parking lot who said his daughter was looking at it (she was currently driving a Prius).  Then I went to a baby shower with a group of ladies who are members of a kennel club (I know, dogs), and they went through it, turned the engine over, opened up the lifegate, and asked me all about it -- especially the gas mileage, of course -- mused about how many dog crates they could get in it, etc. etc.  They seemed to be very interested in it, although a couple of them mentioned they wished it had a sunroof that opens and/or a back window that can roll down, I guess to get more air circulation for the dogs.

This afternoon, I had a neighbour come and check out my CMax. I was walking to the car and he was exercising. He wanted to see the inside and asked about the mileage...yep, 47MPGs and 600 miles a tank. He drives a Camry and him and I had a short talk about the Camry, I use to own one until it started puking on me. Amazing how the CMax gets the looks and questions...Ford is onto to something....but we all knew that  ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax