Rita MacNeil a Canadian treasure dies

Laurel

One of our national treasures, Rita MacNeil, died this past week.  She was from Big Pond, Nova Scotia and was a singer who sang about real life in the Maritimes of Canada.  She had a very hard life--born poor with a cleft palate.  I am just watching an old concert in which she sang with the real coal miners of Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.   Not a good month as we lost Stompin' Tom Connors last month too.  Jus and Rachel may be familiar with Rita and Tom.  Crank up your C-Max radios when you see their names and enjoy some true Canadiana.  Rest in peace Rita.

Feeling a little melancholy after watching too much CNN about the Boston situation--so forgive the off topic obit.

Edited by Laurel

One of our national treasures, Rita MacNeil, died this past week.  She was from Big Pond, Nova Scotia and was a singer who sang about real life in the Maritimes of Canada.  She had a very hard life--born poor with a cleft palate.  I am just watching an old concert in which she sang with the real coal miners of Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.   Not a good month as we lost Stompin' Tom Connors last month too.  Jus and Rachel may be familiar with Rita and Tom.  Crank up your C-Max radios when you see their names and enjoy some true Canadiana.  Rest in peace Rita.

Feeling a little melancholy after watching too much CNN about the Boston situation--so forgive the off topic obit.

RIP Rita MacNeil. I have not heard of her to be honest, coming from the otherside of the world but I will certainly look her up now that I know the name. Thanks for the letting us know Laurel, have a great weekend.