Maximum MPG Possible?

BillJ

It was a beautiful warm day in Philadelphia yesterday, and as I was tooling around town I had several legs of a trip that registered over 60 mpg. This made me wonder what the C-Max's best possible mpg could be under ideal conditions. Consider:

a) Trip of 5 miles or more

b) Level, smooth road

c) Driver only, no accessories on (OK, you can have the radio on)

d) Warm car

e) Warm ambient temperature, no wind

f) P and G from 25-40 (*or is there a more efficient range)

Of course this is not "real world" driving, but I'll bet this car could get 70mpg under these conditions. I may try some experimentation myself.

Cheating a little bit, I reset while already on the freeway, and in stop and go traffic had an AVERAGE 70mpg for a while there, creeping forward in EV, regenerating all the power in the braking, over and over again.

Of course that average got obliterated eventually, but it was nice to see just how amazing this car can be.

Also nice that it makes me happy to see traffic

MacGuyver makes a good point.  On my previous cars that provided mpg gauge, if I was taking a trip using the interstate, I would always reset the mpg gauge once I got up to interstate speed.  I wanted to know how good I could get while at high speed, which is where I usually would get my best mileage.  I think it is a legitimage measurement.