Partly Cloudy… Highs in the low to mid 40s (MPG)

Riddley

The C-MAX we love (most of us anyway) will come to be known for being particularly sensitive to temperature.  I’ve noted many members comment on this and have seen it myself often enough.

I’ve started to notice a pattern on my daily commute. My MPGs vary in almost direct proportion to the ambient air temperature.  I’ve used the MAX on the same route with virtually the same traffic patterns, and recorded MPG results that varied from a low of 38 MPG, when ambient temperatures were in the low 40s, to an all-time high of 58 MPG, when the temperatures outside were in the high 60s. This morning for example, in moderate temperatures (54-58), I recorded 48 MPG.

The same pattern happens during the return commute, though the values are lower, which I attribute to the pattern of elevation.  

When I watch the evening weather forecast, I’ve caught myself on occasion doing a mental translation of the temperatures to MPGs for the coming week.

The noticeable sensitivity to ambient air temperatures obviously favors those in warmer regions. No grudge here folks  :).

But what goes unsaid is how this relationship affects a person’s ability to comfortably aspire to the “1000 MPG Challenge”, “600 Mile Club”, “Quest for 47 MPG Average” and other informal contests... until it is summer everywhere in the U.S. :)

Getting the engine temp up and keeping it there is probably the biggest part of it.

One thing I should mention is that I almost never use AC, or the seat heater. I turn the fan on to 1 or 2 clicks and set the climate temp to 70-72, but AC is off. Even when I am just running the fan, I have noticed on occasion that the fan alone will cause the ICE to run if the battery is low. I was at a stop light the other day and noticed that the ICE was running. I clicked the fan down from 3 clicks to 1 click, and the ICE shut off. So the fan was drawing just enough electricity (along with anything else - like the radio, etc.) to cause the ICE to run.  

As an aside, I heard a Ford engineer mention in a video that it is more efficient for the system if the person used the seat heater over the Climate control if you can choose one over the other.  

In the Puget Sound region we are finally starting to get more summer-like weather more frequently  Yea!!. 

Edited by Riddley

How long is your daily commute Riddley? If its short, it doesn't take much than a spurt to throw you off from mid 40s to high 30s. Hell, even I still get 38s in areas where I call the "black zones", the uphill grades wit the stop signs...but changing the route and toying with the game, I am able to get mid 40s to maybe a tad below 47 now but you pay for it with time (as usual). For sure, ambient temps play a big difference. However, this also does not mean the 80F days like we have today mean I won't get 38MPG in these black zones either :sad:

The daily commute is 32 miles one way, mostly freeway, but here in the good old Puget Sound, freeway can vary greatly. I have a few miles of surface streets before I get to the highway, so I can get it warmed up and charged up before I open it up.

One day the drive was wide open (60+) for most of the commute, and I was able to really test out the "twilight zone" (66-68mph), the next day it was stop and go the whole way, which actually resulted in 50+ mpg.  

The daily commute is 32 miles one way, mostly freeway, but here in the good old Puget Sound, freeway can vary greatly. I have a few miles of surface streets before I get to the highway, so I can get it warmed up and charged up before I open it up.

One day the drive was wide open (60+) for most of the commute, and I was able to really test out the "twilight zone" (66-68mph), the next day it was stop and go the whole way, which actually resulted in 50+ mpg.  

I think alot of people forget one of the main reasons hybrid came into existence in the 1st place - the stop and go traffic in the city...yeah, in those conditions she a killer app, no wonder the 50+. Hey is that you car in the avatar with the 5 spoke wheels?

Nah,

I confess it is totally ripped off. Click on this link. Also note in the close-ups that the rims are actually not 5 spoke - but clever masking to create that effect! 

I must admit that it (Loder1899) is the most impressive C-MAX mod I've seen.  I also think it might have started out as a Euro model (based on the grille and lines).

Edited by Riddley