I miss my CMax...

Jus-A-CMax

So I took my Maxine into Galpin Ford at 8AM this morning and they are looking and analysing her for the MFT and GPS issues. The same issues we see here with "driving" in the house, off route and recently, navigation just going "black" on me while driving. Galpin was kind enough to lend me a 2012 Focus SE loaner (thanks TomS!) in the interim and its very much appreciated :)

However, driving the Focus just showed me what a QUALITY, QUALITY car the SEL CMax is. I mean seriously...I felt I had given up a stealth plane and jumped into a propeller plane there for a moment there...

Engine Noise...wow, how quiet is the EV/ICE in our CMax! The Focus had the usual constant low drone. Something is not right with my Focus also, there some sort of grinding/rubbing noise so I'll let them know when I return the vehicle.

Power...not sure what the Focus engine is but I think our CMax has more punch in the engine. You can also feel the gear shift in the Focus while the CMax is so unbelievably smooth, thanks to the CVT. Zero to 15, is more smooth in EV while Focus goes from 1st to 2nd and felt less power. Those battery has a lot of torque to move a heavier vehile like the CMax and it's very "understated", imo. Focus...1st gear...wait for it, 2nd gear.....

Ride Quality...biggest difference here. Focus has the tire noise, much more so than the CMax. I ride with the windows down and I don't hear anything in my CMax but it's a different story with the Focus. CMax rolls much better than the Focus, but thats to be expected.

Steering...no comparison, CMax steers so much better, more precise but isn't the Focus and the CMax has the same platform, yet there is a qualitive difference.

Seating position. No comparison, the high seating and excellent view from the CMax wins hands down. Focus is typical of the sedan, lower to the road but it makes the CMax feel more "SUV" like.

Maybe its the SE but there was some sort of low res LCD screen in the Focus that showed the gear and some other stuff. To me, this looked cheap and I mean CHEAP. Unlike the higher res LCD screens we have in our SEL CMaxs in the left and right panels with crisp graphics and text, this LCD looked like it was from some 80s coin slot game machine there for a moment - yeah, its harsh but its truly bad... :sad:

If i didn't have the CMax, I would have said the Focus is a fine small size car but I rather have my stealth vehicle back, can't wait and fingers cross they drill down the cause of my MFT issue :)

Also big shout out to TomS (Galpin Service Manager) for helping out with my issue. Even he acknowledge, Ford is not very forthcoming with the MFT updates. For him, the clock issue is the biggest issue out there with the MFT and I told him, "yep" we have a ton of those issues reported in our forum as well.

:)

Should've bought a Prius...oh wait, wrong forum  ;)

I did want to trade in my CMax for a Prii....then Adair woke me up from my Zombie sleep by beating me up on the net....kinda like Indiana Jones got burnt by the lil sidekick in the Temple of Doom.... "Wake up Dr Jones!! Wake Up!"..... ;) 

Gonna be doing some more appraisal traveling in the Focus Biplane tomorrow, should be fun to see how this car drives up and down the canyons. Oh boy...thats another thing I will miss...doing Box Canyon in a biplane, and NO EV!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like Maxine is in for another day and the biplane continues...well, I find it amusing because of the similarity of the drone from the prop with the drone from the engine (abliet a lot more quieter). One thing - this Focus is pretty good MPGs on the freeways at speed. It was clocking up to 40MPG (when I reset the gauge in the middle of the freeway) but then it dropped to 29MPGs as I climbed and did my usual stuff on the surface streets. In comparaison, Maxine would give me 49+MPGs at least with this drive..especially down Box Canyon to Valley Circle...full EV. Focus corners nicely in the canyon road as well but not the same percision or smoothness. I was also in the Encino Hills area, same areas as where I got 70+MPG over 12 miles and it was not the same --- all the braking in the Focus was just that, braking. No EV, no full battery...*sigh*...sometimes I wonder how we all did without our hybrids...

............... all the braking in the Focus was just that, braking. No EV, no full battery...*sigh*...sometimes I wonder how we all did without our hybrids...

I feel your pain! Remember when i drove that Jeep in MN in early March????

Day 3: Biplane is getting better MPG, finished the day with 32.2 MPG and that was climbing up Conejo grade at 70mph which I won't do to save gas in the CMax but I did with the Focus. One definite thing - Focus :wub2:  the freeways at speed, its like its got a nice tall gear and if it had an instant MPG, I would say this thing does 40MPG at those speeds (based on my resetting the Avg MPG on the freeway so for a short while it was reading true freeway MPG only). However, this does not match my tank watch, it down to a 1/4 tank today and its only 3 days of driving. I do the same route and all and it's will stll be 3/4 tank easily in the CMax and I think a lot of gas is wasted by me cruising the surface street (which is all EV for me in the CMax).

Still prefer my Stealth Fighter but shes still in the shop. A Ford rep is actually working on her with the shop supervisor, fingers cross I get her back tomorrow, all fixed :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Day 4 - got my CMax back with a NEW GPS - fingers crossed this is the fix. Be sure I will keep an eye on it.

Focus is back to Galpin. Now...final MPG is 27.22. used 10.761 gallon and 293 miles. Not too bad at all but I cant get use to the noise engine. Avg MPG was 33.1 reported. Don't ask, I have no idea why.

Ah...nothing like my own CMax...yah :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

So since Galpin is the biggest Ford dealer in So Cal I was going to go there for a test drive of a CMax

Did they have the exact model you wanted when you were searching for the Cmax?

we went to Star Ford in Glendale on a whim one day last week and they only had 1 Energi SEl and the Hybrid SE

we wanted to test drive a Hybrid SEL since that is what my wife will get.

Wanted to get the true driving experience in the same car we would get

Galpin is on the other side of the world to us, down here in Whittier, but my wifes sisters live in the valley so we might venture up there one day.

So I took my Maxine into Galpin Ford at 8AM this morning and they are looking and analysing her for the MFT and GPS issues. The same issues we see here with "driving" in the house, off route and recently, navigation just going "black" on me while driving. Galpin was kind enough to lend me a 2012 Focus SE loaner (thanks TomS!) in the interim and its very much appreciated :)

Also big shout out to TomS (Galpin Service Manager) for helping out with my issue. Even he acknowledge, Ford is not very forthcoming with the MFT updates. For him, the clock issue is the biggest issue out there with the MFT and I told him, "yep" we have a ton of those issues reported in our forum as well.

Not liking hearing you had to get a new GPS in a car less than 8 months old! :(

not a good selling point to tell my wife about how the CMax is better than the Prius, She is a devote Toyota lover

Day 4 - got my CMax back with a NEW GPS - fingers crossed this is the fix. Be sure I will keep an eye on it.

Not liking hearing you had to get a new GPS in a car less than 8 months old! :(

not a good selling point to tell my wife about how the CMax is better than the Prius, She is a devote Toyota lover

This is a long story but we'll keep it brief - the new CMaxs do not have this issue (built after Fen 2013), they have the latest software with a fix for this. Us early adopters have this issue because Ford has not release the software patch for this yet, it suppose to come soon.

This is not a Toyota vs Ford issue either. By far and away, Toyota does not hold a candle to the My Ford Touch 8" screen with the voice command. Like any software, it has glitches and this, unfortunately was one of them. I also think I had a bad GPS component which Galpin spent 4 days to diagnose and fix, and gave me a free rental (which they were NOT obliged to do). That is Galpin Service and thats why we keep buying our cars from them. It does happen, its electronics and even when you buy a brand spanking new computer, for example, your wireless card may be bad. Its rare but it can happen so you call Dell support, they diagnose it and send out a technician to replace it.

Also, forums are, unfortunately, a vocal point for everything bad about a car and its unfortunate cause 95% of the cars are perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with them. There was a thread started here which countered this Dont let this forum worry you