First Screen Freeze! Woohoo!!!!!

So today I had my first MFT Haters moment. A little background; SEL, 302A pkg, took delivery in March, after a 4 month wait. But that's a whole other story. As I was pulling into a parking lot I received an incoming call, and after hitting the "accept" button on the display I heard a couple of rings through the sound system, then a brief delay before the call came through. Hmm, that's never happened before. I turned the car off, and continued the call till it ended, then exited the vehicle.

When I returned and restarted, there was no volume coming from the speakers. Neither the steering controls nor the knob would do anything, so I called up the "entertainment" screen. Tried to go from FM to CD, nothing. Hit the AM button, which at first didn't do anything either, but after taking off I noticed it had switched bands. Still no sound, and apparently I had tuned to an alternate universe as the frequency I was tuned to was 443. Would have been nice to have listened to creatures from another plane of existence, but alas, no.

When I got home, I turned the car off, then on to see if it would reboot. Nothing.

Question: Is there a manual way to do this without me having to run back to the dealer? I'm fairly certain a battery disconnect might be the answer, but I'd prefer not having to reprogram all my presets if it can be avoided. And 3 weeks into ownership? Wow, this does not bode well at all.

Yes - I've done this and it works:

How to Perform a Sync Master Reset:http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch

Important: Before you perform the master reset, don't forget to  remove any connected thumb drives, unplug any connected devices, and remove the NAV card.  

What I found was that after the system was reset, Sync actually kept my station presets.

Edited by Riddley

The MFT menu's master reset will likely not work since the screen is frozen. 

You can download a delayed reboot application here, but that likely won't work either for you now that it is frozen.  If it does work, it will not erase your presets or your phone.  I use it as preventative medicine every week or so.

http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

You are likely stuck with either disconnecting the 12V battery from underneath the hidden console in the back of the vehicle (12v battery is NOT under the hood ;), so this is not simple either) or you can contort your body and look in the passenger front seat foot area up under the dash, pull back some carpet and get to the fuse panel, and pull fuse 67, but you will need small pliers or a fuse puller, as it is nearly impossible to get your fingers in there (in the book it is labeled as Energi cell passport, but this is the one to pull).  Or, you can go to the dealer.  It is not easy to do any of these, that is why I use the delayed reboot app periodically to (hopefully) prevent issues.

Edited by JohnTrigger

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "freeze". I can still go between the home (quadrant) screen and the entertainment one. I didn't try the nav or the hybrid display screens, so some things work, some don't.

I'm heading out to work now, so maybe after it's nap, it's had time to reconsider it's obstinance and all will be well. For now.

So today I had my first MFT Haters moment. A little background; SEL, 302A pkg, took delivery in March, after a 4 month wait. But that's a whole other story. As I was pulling into a parking lot I received an incoming call, and after hitting the "accept" button on the display I heard a couple of rings through the sound system, then a brief delay before the call came through. Hmm, that's never happened before. I turned the car off, and continued the call till it ended, then exited the vehicle.

When I returned and restarted, there was no volume coming from the speakers. Neither the steering controls nor the knob would do anything, so I called up the "entertainment" screen. Tried to go from FM to CD, nothing. Hit the AM button, which at first didn't do anything either, but after taking off I noticed it had switched bands. Still no sound, and apparently I had tuned to an alternate universe as the frequency I was tuned to was 443. Would have been nice to have listened to creatures from another plane of existence, but alas, no.

When I got home, I turned the car off, then on to see if it would reboot. Nothing.

Question: Is there a manual way to do this without me having to run back to the dealer? I'm fairly certain a battery disconnect might be the answer, but I'd prefer not having to reprogram all my presets if it can be avoided. And 3 weeks into ownership? Wow, this does not bode well at al

Fish, I had something similar to this last Friday before our trip. Even tho the screen quadrants were there, there was no sound at all.....no phone. Buttons didn't work, no dials, no nuttin'! I went in my office to pull up the OM saved on the computer to make sure I was pushing the ON/OFF button. Went back out and it worked just fine........everything, phone, radio.....

Same thing happened again tonite. I tried driving and pushing buttons but nothing worked. Turned off the engine at stoplights to see if that freed up anything.........nope!  Finally unSYNCd the phone so I could make a call. After it was turned off at the grocery for about 10 min, the radio came back. I'll see how it does in the morning.

Edited 5.1.13

This morning there was radio but the Droid wouldn't connect. I deleted/reSYNCd the phone 3 and still nothing. :banghead:  Finally it SYNCd with the phone but the address book didn't upload. ....... and then I was at work and couldn't do any more until lunch. At lunch I turned off the phone, pulled the Nav card and did a master reset, then re-SYNCed the phone This time it appears to have worked, with address book and all. But who knows what will happen between now and when I get off work.

After 5 months with no issues, wonder why now? :headscratch:

Edited by Adair
New info added

Fishead294 do you know the build date of your car?  Just wondering if it has the new navigation card, or perchance was your car built in the Fall and has the old SD card?  Discouraging to think it has the new updates and is acting like that.

Fishead294 do you know the build date of your car?  Just wondering if it has the new navigation card, or perchance was your car built in the Fall and has the old SD card?  Discouraging to think it has the new updates and is acting like that.

I'm thinking he has the new version since he mentioned the hybrid display.

Thanks to all. After taking the suggestion of John T. I downloaded the zip file to a thumb drive, all ready to do the deed when I went out to the car. Fired it up and the strange 443 number was displayed, but the sound from the last FM station came up immediately, then the proper station I.D. appeared after a second or two. This doesn't make me very happy after not even a month of ownership.

Can't wait for Metra to come up with a dash kit so I can yank this out and put the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH that worked so spendidly for all of two weeks before Sandy took care of the car it was in. I thought it was just me, never having had satellite before and wondering why it sounded so muddy and compressed till I saw others had the same impression over on the Sync forum. And it seems strange that I need to be real close to the transmitter to even pick up an HD radio signal, and when it does the volume gets lower and doesn't seem all that improved. Pretty disappointing, I must say.

Because of the complexity of the MFT system I'm not optimistic that companies like Metra are going to come out with aftermarket options. They have produced options for the Focus but only the vehicles with the smaller 4.2" screen (non - MFT). I'm with you though, if they do make an interface module and install kit the MFT system is out of there. I think one of the biggest issues with an aftermarket interface module would be that it would have to handle the integration with the a/c system and not just the audio system.

• 3 months later...

Man, I thought I was all set after a dealer reboot and successfully installing the new 3.6 firmware update. Wouldn't you know it, Sat when I went to leave a cycling even, again no audio. This time I couldn't take the silence and pulled over about half-way home, shut it down, opened and closed the door, reclined the seatback and took a 15min siesta. Started the car, got the home screen so I touched the screen power button and nothing. Went for the mechanical/electrical switch and voila, music again. Seriously frustrating.

3 out of the 4 times it's happened have been at these events where the car is sitting in the sun baking for a few hours. This leads me to believe it's more of a hardware issue, of which I'm sure the dealer will have no clue as to what the resolution might be. Love the car, hate this head unit.

Man, I thought I was all set after a dealer reboot and successfully installing the new 3.6 firmware update. Wouldn't you know it, Sat when I went to leave a cycling even, again no audio. This time I couldn't take the silence and pulled over about half-way home, shut it down, opened and closed the door, reclined the seatback and took a 15min siesta. Started the car, got the home screen so I touched the screen power button and nothing. Went for the mechanical/electrical switch and voila, music again. Seriously frustrating.

3 out of the 4 times it's happened have been at these events where the car is sitting in the sun baking for a few hours. This leads me to believe it's more of a hardware issue, of which I'm sure the dealer will have no clue as to what the resolution might be. Love the car, hate this head unit.

Others have had similar problems with Sync.  Read this thread.

The ACM module seems to be sensitive to heat.

I have had no issues (knock on wood) since the ACM was replaced earlier this month. And we've had a few 80+ degree days for it to bake in.

Since there have been several of us now, and since some Ford engineers were called in to see mine in (non)action, there should be some history for your service department to draw from.

I know how frustrating it is. I lived with it for 3.5 months.

Hope you get some help from your dealership.

Addendum:  I've noticed when mine freezes (almost every Engine Off in the sun) that the volume control button feels very 'sticky', something in there is expanding. Still waiting for my dealer to call with the part.  I've taken to covering the center speaker with a large steamer pan cover which is quite effective and quite bizarre looking.