Ford CMax Energi

Kelli

I'm clueless on the Hybrid/Energi vehicles. I purchased a 2015 Ford CMax Energi for my teen a couple years ago. It has just over 100k on it now. She is going off to college. My concern is the battery dying and her being without a vehicle and far from home. I really don't want to put $6k into a new battery for the car. On that, my father just passed away and we have his 2019 Buick Encore with 29k miles, which we can keep or sell. Do I sell her CMax and just keep the Buick for her?  She loves her CMax and the gas mileage she gets. Now that she's over 100k mileage, I just don't want to have to worry about putting a ton of money into the car. I wouldn't replace the battery until it needs it, just have no clue how soon that will be. I should add that I have to give my sister half the current value of the Buick.

Edited by Kelli
more explanation

I would absolutely not replace the battery unless the car has some sort of error/check engine light saying it needs it.

I loved our C-MAX Energi and even offered my wife to buy it off her when she ultimately traded it in for a ‘18 Honda Clarity PHEV.  BUT if I had to choose between a C-MAX Energi with 100k mi to a 29k mi, newer ‘19 vs at the latest ‘17 (C-MAX), I would definitely choose to give her the Buick.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, Kelli said:

Things I've been reading says they need replaced around 100k?

When we traded in ours there had developed some kind of whine/noise (60k mi ish) from what I suspected the transmission.  There was battery degradation but the car doesn’t seem to throw error codes due to that alone, and people have reported driving Energis basically like the Hybrids due to so much degradation.

If your two choices both had around the same amount of mileage I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the C-MAX, but that is a huge difference for me to consider recommending the C-MAX over the Buick…

On 4/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, jzchen said:

When we traded in ours there had developed some kind of whine/noise (60k mi ish) from what I suspected the transmission.  There was battery degradation but the car doesn’t seem to throw error codes due to that alone, and people have reported driving Energis basically like the Hybrids due to so much degradation.

If your two choices both had around the same amount of mileage I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the C-MAX, but that is a huge difference for me to consider recommending the C-MAX over the Buick…

I should add that if we sell the Buick I get half and half goes to my sister. If I keep the Buick I pay my sister half of the current value of the Buick.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:18 AM, ptjones said:

It is extremely rare to have to replace a HVB so I wouldn't worry about it.

eh.  Not rare at all, really.  15 years/200K miles is a bunch of work, and that's when one of the cells in my Prius battery gave out.

It's rare only for the average Joe who doesn't keep a car past the lease period, sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...