Importance of Customer Service

Laurel

I decided to book our first servicing of Tip at a dealership a few blocks from our house versus booking where we bought the car.  We are down to a one car family and felt it would be better if we could walk home when we leave the car.  Also, our selling dealership seemed a little too laid back and didn't seem to have answers when we popped in there over the last few months, and we seem to be the first and only C-Max they have sold. And the closer dealership has sold several in the last few months.

So off we go to chat them up at the dealership close to home.  What a horrid experience!  The customer service rep. in the service department was abrupt and close to being rude.  Said no he wouldn't book the TSB 13-5-1 as we had no problems, no the tires wouldn't be rotated as our mileage was too low, and he just looked at me blankly when I asked about whether he had any info on the MFT 3.5.1 update.  He mentioned our C-Max would be the first serviced there. I felt like I was some useless annoying fool in his eyes.  But yes I booked anyway and walked away feeling totally demoralized.

Got home and was fuming to the point my husband was getting annoyed with me.  Yes he was there during the exchange and didn't like it, but he felt I was being too sensitive.  I phoned and cancelled the servicing. (I should have said why, but hubby felt maybe the rep there was just having a bad day). Then phoned our selling dealership.  Got a cheerful young woman who was ever so polite and helpful.  Said that she had run our VIN when I gave our phone number and there were no TSB's for our car.  I mentioned the TSB mentioned on the forum and she said unless we were having a problem they didn't routinely do every TSB as they don't get reimbursed unless there is an issue.  I asked about the MFT and she said nothing was in yet, and in all likelihood we would be the first to know when we receive a letter from Ford saying it is out.  It was like night and day, the customer service. She didn't have every answer to my questions but was charming and friendly.  I am now calm and don't feel like a stupid ninny as I was made to feel at the first dealership.  This is my rant for the day LOL.

Sorry to hear about your experience Laurel, if that was Galpin who owned that dealership, that guy would be out of there faster than a chuck from a bad stomach.....that is why my family stuck with Galpin Motor Company here in SoCal for all our car needs: the 3 Jaguars and now the CMax. They are attentive, extremely polite and courteous and they LISTEN to our problems with the vehicle.

I recently had a smart-alex service advisor who did not listen and suffice to say that that was noted by management and they had his boss on my case, and I am more than pleased with the end results. I expect this from Jaguar but Ford, being less of a premium brand, I did not expect but still received top notch service and they went above with a free loaner as well :)

We had 4 vehicles from Galpin, expect the 5th and more from them :rockon:

Last time we had a thread on the service, Galpin came out on top as well but other owners :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Thanks for your replies Tdefny and Jus.  When we walked into the service department, it was cluttered and sort of grubby looking.  So that isn't a good sign.  Where I bought Tip, it is spotless and that does count for something.  I do wish I had spoken up while I was there and just politely said that we deserved some respect.  I think he needs a shake up, but that dealership is very busy so they aren't fighting for customers obviously.  I remember meeting the Service Manager where we bought Tip and he was very courteous so I think going there is going to be a positive experience.

Sales people and service reps don't realize how much weight *word of mouth* carries. Now, when someone asks you if you would recommend the closer dealership for service, we know what your answer will be. And same with the dealership farther away.

And bad day or not, he should have at least treated you with courtesy. There is no excuse for rudeness. I think you should let the dealership know why you canceled the appointment.

Hope the actual appointment is pleasantly uneventful :)

Sorry to hear about your experience Laurel, if that was Galpin who owned that dealership, that guy would be out of there faster than a chuck from a bad stomach.....that is why my family stuck with Galpin Motor Company here in SoCal for all our car needs: the 3 Jaguars and now the CMax. They are attentive, extremely polite and courteous and they LISTEN to our problems with the vehicle.

I recently had a smart-alex service advisor who did not listen and suffice to say that that was noted by management and they had his boss on my case, and I am more than pleased with the end results. I expect this from Jaguar but Ford, being less of a premium brand, I did not expect but still received top notch service and they went above with a free loaner as well :)

We had 4 vehicles from Galpin, expect the 5th and more from them :rockon:

Last time we had a thread on the service, Galpin came out on top as well but other owners :)

Galpin is a TOP rated Ford dealer and experiences like yours, which is not unique enforce why.

I've had great luck with my dealer here in San Diego: Drew Ford.  Pleasant sales experience and professional and friendly service staff.  When I first got my Cmax, the salesperson took me over to the service dept. to meet the service manager I would be working with when I needed anything (my OWN SM -- what a deal!).

Just back from Tip's first servicing (6 months or 8,000 kilometers).  The dealership was great.  Tip has new oil, rotated tires, brakes inspected, etc.  No problems detected at all.  No word on any MFT updates.  We only have 3,400 kilometers on her.  Our dealership still has only sold 2 C-Maxes --ours and one Energi.  Ours the first in for service.  I noticed that they still have a 2012 Focus all electric marked down from $43,900 to $36,900.  The electric cars are not in demand here at all as they are few charging stations available.

PS They had a new Candy Blue SEL in the showroom.  I looked in the console for the cup thingy.  None there.  I was going to ask if I could have if it had been there.

Edited by Laurel

Same here in Los Angeles, hybrid capital of US of A. I rarely see an Electic Focus but I do see more and more Volts around here, hard to miss, kinda looks like a flattend out frog (sorry RachelinLA). I am starting to see a lot of Teslas around here too, hard to miss those as well...good looking cars for sure, too $$$ for me and that price, I can get a brand spanking new Jaguar :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 8 months later...

I realize this is a really old thread. I'm having a similar dilemma choosing a service department. I'm up to 8300 miles, so I know the initial work is imminent.

The problem I face is two-fold. Both nearby Ford dealers have committed serious service fouls with my cars. When I relate the problems I've had with the one who sold CMax, I realize I am sounding like a cranky old person. Or someone who keeps returning to an abusive relationship. A couple examples: One time they charged me $50 for replacing the cabin air filter. My Focus did not have a cabin air filter. For the whole life of the car, I supplied my own full-synthetic motor oil. One time I checked before I left, my oil was still in the trunk, and the oil and filter had not been changed. The list goes on, and there are a couple of serious ones, as well. They were still putting the little sticker on my window asking me to change my oil every 3,000 miles!

The last experience I had with the closest dealer was when they left me stranded overnight in another town with a faulty alternator they installed. Customer Relations said they should have sent me directly to the Ford service department in that town instead of having me drive home on the battery the next day.

The second factor is inexperience. I've made Sunday visits to dealerships in my surrounding area to look for CMax for sale. If they have one, it's in the back of a long row of Fusions. Or like my local "Ford" dealer where his front row is all Kias. Since I don't want to be a guinea pig for a service department, and I really don't want to get crapped on again, I would be willing to drive a couple hundred miles to get the right things done in the right way.

post-1445-0-73765300-1391648585_thumb.jpg

bemyax...name NAMES, so people who are in your area are aware of their incompetence. As much as I laud Galpin for their great service, time to shout out these dealers who make Ford look very bad. Also feel free to drop a Yelp review of them as well...get the word out. Bad businesses is bad for EVERYONE. Jus my 2c.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Okay, Dick Witham in Waterloo should have sent me to the Ames, Iowa, Ford service department for an alternator that was only two weeks old when it failed. Bill Colwell in Hudson put up all new buildings this last year. Before that, you could sit in the customer waiting area and watch them work on your car. Twice, they "forgot" to rotate the tires, even though that was part of the scheduled service. I will say this for them, at least when there was a Blue Ribbon categorization, all the folks except for the service manager were helpful. One of the mechanics even took the time to explain some of the engineering problems the early Focus had experienced. Mine was part of the new build that I had ordered in 1999 with at least four recalls. Don't get me started.

Once you find a worm in your salad, you jus never go back to that restaurant.

Okay, Dick Witham in Waterloo should have sent me to the Ames, Iowa, Ford service department for an alternator that was only two weeks old when it failed. Bill Colwell in Hudson put up all new buildings this last year. Before that, you could sit in the customer waiting area and watch them work on your car. Twice, they "forgot" to rotate the tires, even though that was part of the scheduled service. I will say this for them, at least when there was a Blue Ribbon categorization, all the folks except for the service manager were helpful. One of the mechanics even took the time to explain some of the engineering problems the early Focus had experienced. Mine was part of the new build that I had ordered in 1999 with at least four recalls. Don't get me started.

Once you find a worm in your salad, you jus never go back to that restaurant.

Love your analogy

bemyaz, you don't have to have a Ford dealer do service / scheduled maintenance work (not warranty / recall work) on your cars just because you own Fords.  There's got to be independent mechanics / shops that provide excellent customer service in your area.  Your own words: "Once you find a worm in your salad, you jus never go back to that restaurant." ;)