Another Reason to Love the C-MAX (fuel cost trend)

Riddley

I wish we saw those kinds of prices here in NY.

Don't misunderstand, I wouldn't mind $4.00 per gallon gas if the money was improving maintenance of our crumbling roads and bridges, etc. or helping the environment. I am just not too sure how much of that is happening with the money. Instead, we are sending our dollars offshore to countries that hate us.

At least the higher price mildly discourages wasting energy in giant SUVs or unnecessary trips. (I really hate when SUV drivers, already aggressive, are even more so at the gas pumps at Costco where the price is a few cents less per gallon.) Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have little choice in what they drive or how much they drive who can't afford the fuel either.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I am really grateful that we (I) have the opportunity to drive a hybrid and I look forward to the day when vehicles that use less fuel and harm the environment less than the best of the current hybrids are a viable option for everybody and they have the interest in taking it.

At least the higher price mildly discourages wasting energy in giant SUVs or unnecessary trips. (I really hate when SUV drivers, already aggressive, are even more so at the gas pumps at Costco where the price is a few cents less per gallon.) Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have little choice in what they drive or how much they drive who can't afford the fuel either.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I am really grateful that we (I) have the opportunity to drive a hybrid and I look forward to the day when vehicles that use less fuel and harm the environment less than the best of the current hybrids are a viable option for everybody and they have the interest in taking it.

Because most reasonable people can see the decline in availability of this non-renewable resource, politicians have finally started to develop the nucleus of a backbone. It has been too long in coming, but CAFE Standards are the start of efforts to doing something about it. There is a great (slightly technical) overview here: Wikipedia - CAFE Standards.

I honestly believe CAFE standards are the main reason why Ford and other manufacturers are developing hybrids, and that Hybrids wouldn't be emerging now if not for CAFE standards.

Edited by Riddley

My husband recently sold his Lexus SUV and we just have the C-Max.  Timing seems good as today gas is $1.49 a liter for regular and is predicted to go higher this summer.  We don't see much of our taxes going to highway improvement either.  I only fill the C-Max once a month which is great at these prices. I won't be shocked to see it go to  $1.75 by the end of summer as premium is already over $1.60 a liter.  Last time we were up this high in price, people did start to slow down but we aren't seeing it yet.  This time around it might take $2.00 a liter ($8.00 a gallon) to get them to slow down.

Riddey I forgot to say I admire your graph!  I have no talent for that short of thing, but I am impressed.

Edited by Laurel

I'm fortunate that my father sold his house and was able to buy me a car.  If not, I would still be driving a gas-guzzling car.  I live in a city without adequate buses, so there is no option for me but to drive an hour each way to work and back.  Meanwhile, my salary goes down every year.  How does that happen???  Every new job I take I get paid less.  Anyway, the point is, it's tough out there.  I want nothing more than to be released from the hold that oil companies have on us.  But until the working class can afford new cars, it isn't going to happen.  :(

Lets just remember that not everyone can afford to get rid of their present vehicle and buy a brand new hybrid. Some have to keep the car they have for as long as they can.

I know it wasn't the intent of the post but we shouldn't want to wish higher gas prices on others. I have seen too much of that attitude on the Prius forum.

Lets just remember that not everyone can afford to get rid of their present vehicle and buy a brand new hybrid. Some have to keep the car they have for as long as they can. I know it wasn't the intent of the post but we shouldn't want to wish higher gas prices on others. I have seen too much of that attitude on the Prius forum.

Amen!

I drove a 12 year old truck to nearly 200K miles before I had enough saved to put down on the C-MAX (I was able to put only $5K down, and have payments). My wife is driving a car with 170K miles, and three kids are driving around older cars with very high mileage. And we are borrowing money to have these kids in school.  So, I hope you didn't read too much into my original post. It shouldn't be any wonder why I am relieved to be driving the Hybrid.