Can I drill holes on front bumber/face cover without damaging what's behind it?

NOMADMAN

Hello, I tried searching the forum for answers, no luck...

Need to install a license plate on C-Max Hybrid Energi 2013. I have two options, get a No Drill Bracket or drill holes for rivet/bolts/screws...

My question is can I drill holes without damaging something behind the bumper/face cover?

Trying to avoid removing the whole front face cover.

Please see picture...

C-MAX Plate Holes.jpg

Yes, you can mount the bracket as you want to. The original Ford bracket has contoured sides to fit over the grill ribs. It is riveted through the solid panel between the grille slats at the two points in the recessed rectangles marked with the yellow arrows. I drilled pilot holes and used short chunky self-tapping 1/2" screws that I had in hand to mount mine. There is some space behind the grille to work with. Probably at least an inch.

The OEM brackets are still available if you look on the web. Ford part number FO1068151

Here's a link to one source: https://www.theautopartsshop.com/sku/replace-front-license-plate-bracket-fo1068151

One other thing I did was replace the nasty hex head plate screws with 1/2" #14 Phillips head screws which look nicer and also won't damage another car's bumper.

The photo of the gray car is off the web (not my car), the bracket is mounted too high, the wide notch should fit over the painted section below the grille - see the second picture (which IS my car).

cmax plate .jpg

Edited by David McC
Clarifications