Driving in L

Tree63

We need someone with a scan gauge to monitor fuel flow while in L going down a steep grade.  I know in the Prius it would shut off the injectors so the ICE becomes a simple air pump/brake. 

I haven't plugged my Sangauge into this car yet, but I don't think my test would be valid for you since in my case the engine doesn't turn at all.

My guess is that it does cut off the fuel, simply because that's what most cars do these days.  Google "deceleration fuel cut off" (DFCO) and there will be various accounts of it.

On the last three cars I've owned, the Scangauge showed fuel consumption dropping to zero whenever I coasted down a hill, or even just coasted to a stop light if I was going fast enough.  In my FJ Cruiser I was able to go 10 miles or so down a steep mountain pass without using a single drop of gas.

It would surprise me if the C-Max didn't do so as well, given that fuel economy is one of its major selling points.  But then again, I was surprised by the hybrid behavior described in this thread...

I also own a Ford Escape Hybrid, 2007.  Putting it in L causes an increase in regen braking when slowing, and BTW quickly shuts off the ICE below 40 mph (the limit on EV in this vehicle), thus charging the HV battery more--I use it all the time in that vehicle when coming to a stop.   I tried to use my '07 Escape driving technique of using L when I first got the CMAX SEL, but I quickly figured out something was different when the CMAX ICE engine rev'd real high each time.

I'm told that later models of the Ford Escape Hybrid act more like the CMAX non-energi, eliminating this increase in regen braking whie slowing down, instead engaging engine braking.

Page 179 of the Operator's Manual:

"Low Gear: Low gear (position L) is designed to mimic the enhanced

engine braking available in non-hybrid vehicles. Low gear will produce

high engine speeds to provide necessary engine braking. This is normal

and will not damage your vehicle. In low gear, the gas engine will remain

on more often than in position D."