Better than a Prius in many ways

CAcreeks

Certainly the C-max is quieter and more comfortable, but I mean fuel mileage. (We also have a 2007 Prius.)  The C-max EPA numbers are lower, but...

On < 10 minute trips the Prius is terrible because it wants to warm up the engine, so 25 MPG is typical. The C-max seems happy in electric mode with very little engine use. Short trips on flat ground can easily get over 60 MPG. Coming downhill from work yesterday I got 85 MPG.

The Prius is also quite poor when heavily loaded and going highway speeds into the wind. I remember one trip where I could not get 40 MPG unless I drove very close behind a big-rig (not always possible) so the trip averaged 35. Whereas on a recent trip into a stiff wind both ways (due to weather change), my new C-max averaged 41.

I guess the Prius may win for freeway traffic jams, where it excels. Maybe the EPA city testing is similar to those conditions. But for suburban driving, my C-max seems to be doing better than 47, and better than our Prius, which is a surprise given all I had read.

The C-MAX is far more powerful. So, in high strain situations, it should be more efficient. That is somewhat subjective, though.

I can say this, I love driving this car. I have driven a Prius and did not enjoy the ride. That is enough to push me to the mighty Max over a Prius.

Of course, if I was only looking at MPG with no other considerations, the best new car right now is the little Prius-C.........

Matt

Matt,

In life there is more to driving than gas mileage alone...SAFETY is another HUGE consideration and when we talk lower profile cars we need to discuss being in the blind spot of almost every large SUV and forget tractor trailers that is a forgone conclusion they won't see you. Its a big reason I don't own a Miata, If I am diving side by side to a semi truck I like to think my roof line is higher than the wheel of a truck....betcha that Prius C barely gets there :)

No thanks I will give back a few mpg's and drive a vehicle that can be seen.

If you think the C is small, have you seen one of the early Insights? They are tiny........

I would love one, though. But, I would not do the majority of my driving in it. I just think it would be cool to have one project car to see how far this whole mileage thing can be taken.   :)

Matt

If you think the C is small, have you seen one of the early Insights? They are tiny........

I would love one, though. But, I would not do the majority of my driving in it. I just think it would be cool to have one project car to see how far this whole mileage thing can be taken.   :)

Matt

u want to go far get a recumbent bike with a fairing and a smal electric motor and you'll go far my friend :)

Well, despite it being more fun to drive, I guess the C-max is never going to get 50 MPG average, like the Prius gen2 can, although I seem to be getting close to the EPA 47 rating, which is a good trade off for quietness and comfort. It is baffling why Consumer Reports only got 37. I should go back and read their road test report again.

I'm at roughly 49 mpg for my very first tank of gas, once the car breaks in assuming the weather is still decent I think I can easily top 50 mpg.

Car and Driver got 31 mpg combined for the Prius V and 32 mpg for the C-Max, so I guess it really just is a combination of the weather, road conditions, and how you drive it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-toyota-prius-v-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-test-review

Edited by SnitGTS

when  you fill up what does it show for your average speed (mph) for the tank trip?

im sure you avg more city than hwy driving to get those mpgs

If you drive mostly in town it can. I am at nearly 53mpg average for the last 4,000 miles.

the cmax is heavier and taller than the prius. it is not going to be quite as efficient.

Matt

copied from C&D review:

"Back in the real world, however, we ran a 67-mile out-and-back drive with the cruise control set at 75 mph, and the C-Max’s trip computer reported only 34 mpg. At 32 mpg, our overall observed fuel economy in the C-Max was even lower than the 35 mpg we saw from the last Prius V we tested."

No way they are going to get 47 mpg going 75 mpg. The C-Max is known to not be as good at 75 mpg (or any car) because of its large face/high roofline

if they lowered that to 55-65 they would have seen much better. CMax run in EV up to 62 mph +/- error of speedo

Over that and its all ICE so of course it will get worse mpg and the higher coefficient of drag doesnt help.

Also none of the reviewers are getting the benefits of EV+ where a normal owner would near their top destinations/near home running on all EV mode.

And we dont know if they reset their lifetime avg before doing the test drive. Im sure that would setup a better fair playing ground

Edited by salsaguy

Salsaguy, that's a great question if they reset the lifetime average before they do their test drives.  If they got 34 mpg going 75 mph on a freeway how did their average come in lower at 32 mpg?  I know when I got my car the lifetime average was 19.8 mpg!  (two weeks and 400+ miles later my lifetime average is up to 42.8 mpg and my trip gauge is settling in around 49 mpg)

Edited by SnitGTS

After only 1200 miles, I think the proper EPA ratings should be around 44 highway 48 city. But I might change my mind! Is that better than the Prius V wagon? Yes it is. The Prius V is rated 40 highway 44 city. Maybe Toyota improved the cruise control in gen 4, but the Ford Eco cruise control does better than I can do, unlike Prius gen 3 cruise control.

I find a big difference at 70 mph depending on headwind vs tailwind, but agree with 42-45 in calm conditions. Sometimes I think the car magazines have been bribed by Toyota etc.

After only 1200 miles, I think the proper EPA ratings should be around 44 highway 48 city. But I might change my mind! Is that better than the Prius V wagon? Yes it is. The Prius V is rated 40 highway 44 city. Maybe Toyota improved the cruise control in gen 4, but the Ford Eco cruise control does better than I can do, unlike Prius gen 3 cruise control.

I find a big difference at 70 mph depending on headwind vs tailwind, but agree with 42-45 in calm conditions. Sometimes I think the car magazines have been bribed by Toyota etc.

Maybe I'm wrangling over words but I feel the "proper" EPA ratings are the results of the actual tests - as published.  If the EPA ratings don't agree with the way I drive, then "My mileage may vary".  The current tests may not do a good job of predicting mileage at 70+ mph for all cars but I think they are better than anything else in telling the average driver what it will cost to operate one car versus another.  Better than all the magazine "reports" and all the self reported mileage sites.

As an aside, just suppose the "V" gets 50 mpg at 70 mph and the C-Max gets 40 and you drive 15,000 miles per year - always at 70 mph.  That's about 70 cents a day savings.  How many of us would be willing to switch to a "V" for 70 cents a day?  Not me!

• 2 weeks later...

Recumpence: I agree, it is really easy to get > 50 mpg in town. Unlike the Prius, the C-Max does not waste gas warming up the engine. (Is this an advantage of the Atkinson cycle engine?) So short trips under 10 minutes do not have the Prius penalty that results in 25 mpg approximately. Now I am getting over 50 mpg commuting to work.

Just back from a 16 day 5000 mile road trip with the C Max (37 mpg for the trip). We are up to 23000 miles total so have experience driving the car. Our previous car was a Gen 3 2010 Toyota Prius. Overall I would say the Prius obtained 6-8 mpg better than the C Max does. The Prius has a more advanced exhaust heat system than the C Max as well so does better in the winter especially. However, the C Max is a much better car to drive overall. Better ride ... More passenger and head room. Higher quality materials and electronics. It's just a much better driving experience and it's not even close.