Is there an ideal time to trade in your C-Max Hybrid?

I love my C-Max Hybrid but travel for work and put a lot of miles on the car, which is why I did not lease. I want to understand if there is an optimal time to trade my car in. For example is there any value to trading in for a 2013 since the 2014's are a year away now or does it come out the same to keep driving until they are available. I purchased in October and have put 3,000-3,500 miles on the car per month. Thank you.

I put a deposit on a Ruby Red SEL 300A pkg yesterday. Going to pick it up Thursday night. Sold my 2011 Camry to Carmax last night after leaving the dealership. They gave me a couple grand more than the dealer was offering on trade. I usually sell my cars myself, to make the most $$$, but got a really good deal on the Cmax & wanted to move on it quick.

I agree sell private party is always better than trade in

Check out Edmunds.com for the comparison prices for trade in vs private sale etc

.... you're better off selling it yourself.  Yeah I know, not always easy to do.

Generally, I find just the opposite especially is one gets a sales tax benefit by trading vs selling privately.  It simply takes too long to find the "right" buyer willing to pay private party. Most want to "steal" your car.  

In AZ, there's an 8.8% sales tax is collected on dealer sales based on the difference between purchase price and trade-in value.  That is generally very hard to make up in a private sale especially for a higher value car.  For example, below is a snapshot of Edmund appraisal of my trade-in in outstanding condition.  My car needed a new windshield, a wide, long, deep paint scratch fixed on the rear bumper (likely needed a respray of fender), 3 paint-less dent repairs, curb rash on 3 wheels repaired. I did have a clear bra.

The dealer initially offered $13 k and I got him up to $14 k plus free tint on the C-Max (already on car plus I bought under X-Plan so no negotiation on price).  IMHO, there was no way I could sell my car to a private party for $15,300 especially with the items above that needed to be fixed to get to outstanding condition.  In about 2 weeks the dealer had my Jetta on his lot listed initially for $20,900 (probably offering some type of warranty also).  Other dealers had similar TDIs listed for $17 - $19 k with similar mileage. We all know dealers will deeply discount used cars from original selling price.  My car was gone in less than 30 days.  I did stop in and took a look at my Jetta and it was "perfect".  Everything was repaired.   So, what's the chances had I invested say $700 for the above repairs, that I could have sold my car for $16k when Edmunds shows dealer certified retail for $16,600?? - slim to none.

gallery_167_32_28502.jpg