Is 700 the new 600?

Riddley

Is it time to start looking at a 700 club?

To get to 700 miles per tank, you need roughly 54 MPGs over a full tank (700 miles/13 gals). 

Considering these facts:

• Matt has eclipsed 700 three times so far, the first two unmodified.
  • Jus is flirting with 700, reaching 679.4 with a tank average of 52 MPG. Jus - you should be there at 700 in no time!!!
  • There are four additional members that have exceeded 50 MPG for a full tank: rmcmast [52.9], orphoto [51.4], frbill [51], and Jaz [50.3].
  • A few additional members are pushing 50 MPG: SnowStorm [49.6], Stobro2 [49.1].

I think 700 might be the new 600.

That said, I believe that the 600 club is a worthy and venerable accomplishment. I haven't put my own name in the above musings about 700, because I am still at "base camp" regarding that pinnacle.  

If you read the early posts in the 600 mile club, ptjones predicted the 700:

I think 700mi is doable in Hybrid, we will see this spring.

Called it exactly - my hats off to him for sure. I doubted it as all of us had more than 50% freeway driving on our schedules -- no one, at least not me, would have thought that if someone drove this car at just 35mph, and keep it there..all bets were off and boom...700. Now, we are starting to hear rumours of 800+ miles possible at just 30mph (if snowstorm is right).

I think for the time being, perhaps a rename to 600+ Mile Club would be at better approach, only Matt is still there at 700. I won't be there for another 3 more weeks at least since my work schedule only has me at 40-50 miles a day. But yeah...if someone wants to drive 800+ miles at 30mph..go for it...but just let the other posters know what terrain/condition you are driving as its not realistic to have a ton of freeway driving at 65+ mph and some then expects 55MPG.

Go for it guys, this is a CMax forum - break all the records you want :drool:

If you read the early posts in the 600 mile club, ptjones predicted the 700:

Called it exactly - my hats off to him for sure. I doubted it as all of us had more than 50% freeway driving on our schedules -- no one, at least not me, would have thought that if someone drove this car at just 35mph, and keep it there..all bets were off and boom...700. Now, we are starting to hear rumours of 800+ miles possible at just 30mph (if snowstorm is right).

I think for the time being, perhaps a rename to 600+ Mile Club would be at better approach, only Matt is still there at 700. I won't be there for another 3 more weeks at least since my work schedule only has me at 40-50 miles a day. But yeah...if someone wants to drive 800+ miles at 30mph..go for it...but just let the other posters know what terrain/condition you are driving as its not realistic to have a ton of freeway driving at 65+ mph and some then expects 55MPG.

Go for it guys, this is a CMax forum - break all the records you want :drool:

Done Jus and Riddley....

Yes, 700 is the new 600.   :)

Isn't it true that 40 years old is the new 30?   :D

Anyway, hitting 700 requires determination. But, it is obviously not impossible. I predict at least 3 more forum members will hit 700 this summer. Actually, I really do not think it is that huge a thing under the correct circumstances. For me, the big negative for me is the stop and go. I have so many stops that I struggle to stay around 60mpg.

Matt

I agree, I think we'll have several new 700 mile club members.  I'm at 49.2 mpg on my first tank of gas, drove 37 miles before resetting the trip odometers (dealer didn't reset them), I'm at 548 miles right now and the miles to empty just reset from 30 to 73.  Assuming I actually don't run out of gas at 30 miles, that will total 658 miles on the very first tank of gas!  Once the car breaks in, (The car has 625 miles total!) I see a possibility if the conditions are right of hitting 700.

It is definately looking like Jus will hit 700. It is "Jus" a matter of time.   ;)    :)

I also noticed that not all gas stations are honest about their gas quality. I know the difference between regular and premium in how my car runs as well as my MPG. However, I filled up with premium on this tank, yet my MPG is lower than premium would normally give and yesterday I actually had run-on when the engine shut down. So, that freaking station is dispensing regular out of their premium pump......

Aggrivating to say the least!

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

I also noticed that not all gas stations are honest about their gas quality. I know the difference between regular and premium in how my car runs as well as my MPG. However, I filled up with premium on this tank, yet my MPG is lower than premium would normally give and yesterday I actually had run-on when the engine shut down. So, that freaking station is dispensing regular out of their premium pump......

Aggrivating to say the least!

Matt

For run-on to occur, fuel has to be leaking into the cylinder after shutdown and there has to be a source for ignition (upon shutdown injection and spark stop).  

I always stick to top-tier gas stations or ones like Costco that advertise additive packages significantly greater than the minimum required.  So, you may have deposits on the injector tip that allow fuel to leak into the cylinder after shutdown and perhaps other deposits in the cylinder creating hot spots and igniting the gas.  Sometimes the cheapest gas is not always the best whether regular or premium.  Also, just because gas is premium doesn't mean it has additional additives above the EPA requirements. I'd recommend running a bottle of Techron every so often to clean the combustion chamber if one is not sure of the level of additives in the gasoline one is purchasing.  

From Exxon:

Do your gasolines contain detergents?

All our gasolines contain effective detergent additives. While the EPA has required all gasolines marketed in the United States to contain detergents since 1995, our gasolines contain significantly more than the minimum quantities required to provide additional protection against fuel system deposits.

Does gasoline really need detergents?

Yes! Detergents are added to gasoline to help keep vital engine parts clean, including the carburetor or fuel injectors, intake valves and intake port areas. A gasoline detergent is a lot like a household detergent, helping to prevent any harmful deposit buildup.

Jus and Matt, what does your 'mi to E' say after you fill up?  How accurate is that to what you actually get for the tank?

I don't even bother to look when I fill up but I'll make a note next time I fill up, which should be in 2 weeks from now (only 1/4 tank and 270 miles). As I said, I usually rely on my Trip 1 which is dedicated to the tank and reset at fill up. The M to E is usless when its red.

That is a good question. The car supposedly has a 13.5 gallon tank. The most I have ever refilled at was 13.2.

You know, at 52.4 mpg, you are really flirtin' with 700 there. If you can get it up to 55, you will be there.   :)

You must do alot of in town driving at 30mph. That is the sweet-spot with this car.

Matt

I just looked up my commute to work on Google and it is about 7 and a half miles on local highways where I'm going between 50-55 mph, 4 miles on main roads between 35-45, and maybe a mile on side streets around 25 mph.  Last night I went to my parents house after work, it was about a 25 mile round trip and probably 20 of it was on local highways at 50-55 mph.  

The local highways have traffic lights, so that helps my FE.

Edited by SnitGTS

Yeah, I doubt my 2nd tank is going to end up a 700 mile tank.  I'm "down" to 52.4 mpg which over 13 gallons is only 680 miles.

I wonder how the miles to empty is calculated.  Anyone know?

Hey SnitGTS! What is this ONLY business!!! To those of us cheering at 500 mile tanks.............680 is...........well, jeez....it's 680 MILES on 1 tank!!! There's no ONLY there!!! That's loftier than most of us will ever see! That's AWESOME!!!!! :rockon:  And especially on how many tanks now? 2?  :yahoo:

Edited by Adair

My bad Adair, I meant 'only' in regards to it being less than the sum of my miles driven and miles to empty (702).  

Yes this is my 2nd tank, I wish I could explain why I'm getting better mileage then others.  Has yours improved with the weather?

I saw that people were correlating 3.5.1 to FE on one of the other threads, to me that doesn't make any sense since Matt has been getting incredible FE and his is one of the earlier build dates with the older software.  The only thing I can think of is I hear the hybrid screen wasn't part of the old software and because it tells you why the ICE was turned on you can adapt to avoid those situations, but I can't believe that's a 5 mpg difference.  I drive modestly but outside of that I really don't feel like I do anything special to get my mileage, it's the car.

For the record, I'm not sure of my build date but my car came with 3.5.1 installed already.

Edit:  I just realized I read your post wrong...  Hopefully 3.5.1 will help you.  :)

Edited by SnitGTS

Hey SnitGTS! What is this ONLY business!!! To those of us cheering at 500 mile tanks.............680 is...........well, jeez....it's 680 MILES on 1 tank!!! There's no ONLY there!!! That's loftier than most of us will ever see! That's AWESOME!!!!! :rockon:  And especially on how many tanks now? 2?  :yahoo:

telling me....0.6 short of the 680 goal, but I shattered my 644 miles...at this rate, i won't tank up until 2 weeks from now, still have about 3/5 tank and 353 miles booked :)

I too am not seeing any wonderous mileage from 3.5.1 either and I don't even use that power screen anyway, too distracting. Its fun for a while but its like ice cream, you can only have so much chocolate ones and then its enuf.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Congrats orphoto!  I bet we have 5 confirmed members with 700 mile tanks by the end of the summer!

Again it's still very early, but 119 miles driven and my car is telling me 587 miles to empty.  That's better total mileage according to the car than yesterday but I'm still at 52.4 mpg for the tank.