Back to the drawing board.....the saga continues...

Well, I was so sure that the problem was the refurb Droid 4. I moved everything to Droid 4 # 3 (Jerry's unused one), and SYNCed phone and address book yesterday afternoon.

Everything worked fine this morning, again at 3:30 this afternoon when I went out to check it, and when I left work at 5pm. I was able to use SYNC to voice-dial my husband and the radio worked just fine! :sing_rain:

20 minutes later, I stopped at Kroger for a few things.......maybe 10 minutes...........and when I came back out to start the car, SYNC was frozen....the screen looked completely normal, but nothing worked.....no paddle, buttons, dials, no radio :sad:

Back to the drawing board....... :cry:

Removed SYNC from phone and will do a master reset tomorrow. 

We are all having problems with this system.  I hope FORD will get a fix and it needs to be addressed

Sadly, har, it's not the 3.5.1 update....mine was a problem before that, and we thought the update would take care of it, but it didn't. Not sure if it's a phone problem, a SYNC problem, a phone-SYNC-car *allergy* problem, or what exactly, right now.

Tomorrow, no phone, no SYNC. If I need to make a call, I'll use the Bluetooth earbud to do it. I know there's an answer out there somewhere. I just need it to act up at a time when I can take it to the dealership so they can hook it up to their diagnostic equipment during regular business hours   :drop:

Almost sounds like a issue with the blue tooth chip set that the phone is using. Been seeing a lot of reports on the various sites about problems with blue tooth connectivity with a lot of the android based phones. The phone connectivity on the MFT system was the one that was the most reliable, it always worked, but I am using a Iphone 5, and with the 3.5.1 it finally got me text to speech capabilities

Adair - use your hubby's S4 for a day and see if that works. Could be a Motorola thing happening here. My S4 seems fine as does my DroidX - give that a shot before taking it in. This way, you see if its phone related or not.

I don't think we want to do that Jus. The day I got the car, back in November, Jerry and I went out to dinner to celebrate. I wasn't on the forum yet, so y'all haven't heard this story. Anyway, I had already SYNCed my phone at the dealership. Jerry got in, and the car immediately tried to pair with his phone. We were green at this, so we didn't think anything about it. The next day he went to work 35 miles away and his phone was still trying to sync with my car. Everytime he tried to make a call the phone would try to find my car to SYNC with. He had a helluva time removing it. Many calls to SYNC, Verizon, and Samsung. His phone never showed up on my SYNC screen, so there was nothing for me to delete. Finally one day it just resolved itself.

Maybe my car is possessed

Yep, sounds like wingrider is right, the issue is with the bluetooth as my S4 is PERFECT with my 3.5.1. Suggest to your dealer to have that component replaced and see what happens. It would be worth while to mention it to your dealer that your hubbys S4 also does not sync properly etc etc. If 2 phones don't work, time to replace. This could be a bad part ala GPS module that ArizonaEnergi and I both replaced and now its fine.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Almost sounds like a issue with the blue tooth chip set that the phone is using.

Yep, sounds like wingrider is right, the issue is with the bluetooth as my S4 is PERFECT with my 3.5.1. Suggest to your dealer to have that component replaced and see what happens. It would be worth while to mention it to your dealer that your hubbys S4 also does not sync properly etc etc. If 2 phones don't work, time to replace. This could be a bad part ala GPS module that ArizonaEnergi and I both replaced and now its fine.

So is this something in the car? The blue tooth chip set thingy? I will definitely mention it to them! Thanks Wingrider and Jus!

I am praying it will happen again today, early enough in the afternoon that I can take it by. Last I talked to them, they were leaning toward it being the Droid 4 # 2....the refurb. They don't know about Droid 4 # 3.....which is brand new, only used 2 weeks until now.

And I am still convinced that temperature is a factor here, somehow. Because why didn't it happen a single time between November and April?

Edited by Adair

I had an bad Bluetooth in my $80k Jag as well, they said it was the phone but in the end they replaced thr part (apparently very expensive) and it's fine now. No issues with the wifeys new S4 either since its her car now...so bad components do happen even on high end vehicles. I would not have said "refurb" and the fact that a new S4 doesn't work is the most telling. 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I was running late this morning, so I didn't do the Master Reset. The phone was SYNCed but no phone book uploaded. Phone/SYNC/Radio worked just fine. I ran some errands at lunch......2 stops, restarting the car both times......everything worked. Temps were in the low-mid 70s.  I went out at 3:30 to test- start the car........all was working perfectly. I left work at 5pm............no problems at all..............stopped to p/u dinner @ KFC, and went inside instead of the drive-thru. When I came back out, SYNC was frozen. Nothing worked....no phone, radio, cd player. No paddles, dials, or buttons, even tho everything showed up on the screen.....even the phone. Temp was 77. 

That KFC is about 3 miles from my dealership, so I drove straight there........again. Luckily the 3 Service Advisors were there, and they all got to see it, play with it, try to get it to work. Master Reset did nothing. They were bumfuzzled. One said they should get the engineers involved, but how can we do that when it's so freakin' unpredictable? One said it needed an APIM. They seemed not to recognize the term *blue tooth chip set* but said it may be called something else. Their boss had already left for the day so we couldn't involve him in the fun.

I am to call the big boss back on Monday and will probably be taking my car in and getting a loaner. I asked if they would need to keep the phone, but that's uncertain right now. 

In the meantime, they turned the car off while we continued our discussions about how weird this is......and 10 minutes later........it started up just fine.....all systems go.

.........................sigh....................

Monday I checked the car at 3:30 and everything worked just fine. I even drove around the parking lot a couple of times, turned it off, opened the door to disconnect stuff, and restarted. I went back out at 3:55 and SYNC was dead in the water. Outside temp was 86*. I ran back in my office to arrange for phone coverage, grabbed my purse and lunch bag and drove directly to the dealership. 2 of the technician from out front and 1 guy from the back hooked it up to their computer twice, talked to 2 different groups at Ford Hotline, and worked on it for 2 hours. They said I had the latest and greatest everything and there were no codes showing.

The car was on and frozen for the whole time. At one point I got a phone call....my cell phone ringtone played thru the car speakers....but I couldn't answer the phone, either with SYNC or the actual phone. They disconnected the battery and reset the APIM and, of course, everything came back up.

I left with instructions not to SYNC the phone at all. Drive it like that thru Thursday. If it does it between now and then, they will order a new APIM. If it doesn't, they will go back to Ford Hotline to see what steps to take next. At one point they mentioned the possibility of putting me in another C-MAX for a few days, SYNC my phone and see what happens. Perhaps the latest Verizon/Motorola update is screwing with things.......or maybe it's an app or a screen saver on my phone. I wonder if there is a way to roll back to the previous version of whatever was operating before mid April? All worked fine from November-April.

I don't know which way to hope.......failure with no phone SYNCed = their problem, new part ordered. No failure = maybe try yet another phone? A Droid 3? Some other brand? The thing is, I'm hooked on physical keyboards, and those are few and far between.

And in other, more positive news......in spite of all this BS, I'm gonna have a +500 mile tank this time, I think. I love my C-MAX.

Edited by Adair