How is everyone's CMAX?

lovemyfords

I'm thinking of buying one but am undecided between the CMAX and the Escape. I have a Escape Hybrid for 5 years and looking to trade it in at Ford. How's it handling? How's the traction in the snow and rain? I heard it's breaking is something not very desirable. 

I love the dashboard and the 8" screen. It's available on the Escape also. Problem is, no Escape Hybrid for '13 and it looks like '14 also. I was getting 40/36 with it and hate to part with it. The 47/47 gas mileadge is intriguing but was kind of disappointed with the height of the CMAX (or am I just nitpicking and just used to the Escape?). 

Any opinions?

Can't personally speak to traction in snow (and not too much rain), but others on the forum have stated that they find the traction fine in snow, at least as good as with any other car.

Normal breaking is no problem, just takes getting a little used to.  If the Escape Hybrid uses regenerative breaking, then you probably won't see much of a difference (a guess). 

Get inside and you won't even know that you are lower than you are in your Escape.  It's roomy, powerful, economical, and everything else I could hope for.  I haven't had any major issues (except for the MFTouch problems that hopefully will be resolved with the update).

Best advice: get inside and drive it!

Good luck with your decision.

Can't personally speak to traction in snow (and not too much rain), but others on the forum have stated that they find the traction fine in snow, at least as good as with any other car.

Normal breaking is no problem, just takes getting a little used to.  If the Escape Hybrid uses regenerative breaking, then you probably won't see much of a difference (a guess). 

Get inside and you won't even know that you are lower than you are in your Escape.  It's roomy, powerful, economical, and everything else I could hope for.  I haven't had any major issues (except for the MFTouch problems that hopefully will be resolved with the update).

Best advice: get inside and drive it!

Good luck with your decision.

You can probably rent one in your area for a weekend

Edited by mtb9153

I'm thinking of buying one but am undecided between the CMAX and the Escape. I have a Escape Hybrid for 5 years and looking to trade it in at Ford. How's it handling? How's the traction in the snow and rain? I heard it's breaking is something not very desirable. 

I love the dashboard and the 8" screen. It's available on the Escape also. Problem is, no Escape Hybrid for '13 and it looks like '14 also. I was getting 40/36 with it and hate to part with it. The 47/47 gas mileadge is intriguing but was kind of disappointed with the height of the CMAX (or am I just nitpicking and just used to the Escape?). 

Any opinions?

You can probably rent one from a rental place in your area, check it out.

saw a brand new Escape today on the way home. lots of styling similarities with the C-Max. they really should have kept it a hybrid but i guess with the Escape, c-max, and focus all very similar, there wouldn't be enough differentiation to allow customers to buy at the volume needed to make it profitable for them

perhaps after they see how cmaxes 1st year of sales goes they may make some changes.

• 1 month later...

We have our 2008 hybrid escape and our 3 week old C-Max. I find the Escape has more nooks and crannies for stuff. (We carry a "Murphy bag" for emergencies.) we do sit a bit lower then the escape.

C-Max breaking is more noticeable. Steering is more responsive. What I use most of the instruments is the "waterfall" of the mpg display.

We drove the C-Max then the new escape design (my daughter commented that a giant had sat on it." Think the Masda version was a bit better. ) Then we tried the current crop of similar cars, None of the others measured up to our escape hybrid. The second test drive of the C-Max sold my wife. She found it easier to get into then our escape.

<G> I got the escape, she got the C-Max.