I found it?

mtb9153

Just wanted to share some exciting news which won't be anything new for most of you but might be to others who have struggled with low Avg MPG as I have from the beginning. 

First of all I attribute most of the mileage increase to getting 3.5.1 installed since my MPG seems to have stabilized since getting it.  I know that doesn't make much sense since most of what 3.5.1 was all about was directed to the MFT.

I have been working real hard this week to make sure I brake slow and gradual and plan out my stops when approaching an intersection.  Also when pulling out from a light or stop sign I give a burst of throttle, enough to get me moving forward and once I get up above 20mph I pull on the left paddle to resume the cruise control which then gradually brings me up to my preset speed.  I find that trying to activate the cruise control below 20mph doesn't work.

Cruising in the 35-45mph range on flat roads gives me the best results and I see the most increase in Avg MPG while allowing me to keep my numbers within the 43 to 45 range.  This is probably not news to most of you but for me it is great news since I have for some time seen only 32-40mpg.  On the freeway I set the cruise control to 58 mph in the slow lane and this gives me the best numbers.  On the freeway my AvgMPG usually drops to the 40-43 range but once I get off the freeway and back on surface streets I can get my numbers back in the 43-45 range.

In conclusion the biggest improvement I've seen since putting all this into affect is that I've been able to maintain a steady AvgMPG level for over a hundred miles in the 40-47 range which is something I've not been able to do since buying my Max.  For once I feel I'm in control of my MPG instead of my on-board computer.  But the REAL key I've found is by making sure to brake long and gradually which is essential to getting results in the 40-45 range and staying in the 40's numbers.  I've not been able to maintain my numbers in the 40's up till now.  I also find that setting my MyKey to show power + threshold on the left side and fuel history on the right side it helps me to maintain my numbers in the 40's or higher.

Have you tried using EV to start up to 10mph then speeding up to desired speed using 2 bars (empower screen) on ICE then hitting cruise control to maintain speed?

That and slowing/slightly increasing speed to time traffic lights made the biggest difference for me on my city driving mpg. 

Have you tried using EV to start up to 10mph then speeding up to desired speed using 2 bars (empower screen) on ICE then hitting cruise control to maintain speed?

That and slowing/slightly increasing speed to time traffic lights made the biggest difference for me on my city driving mpg. 

RaPieR, thanks for sharing I'm not sure I understand what you are saying to try, but no I haven't tried that.  Not sure what you mean by bars?

Edited by mtb9153

ok everyone just filled up today and here are the first screen stats at the end of todays driving.  I think I've found the sweet spot and my braking sca ore today was at 100% which I've never been able to record.  Loving it and heading for a 600mile tank, at least now I think it might be a possibility?

Enjoying the ride...

After todays driving it is very clear that I can do my best numbers in town on surface streets.  I seem to lose allot of ground (surface street numbers) on the freeway driving at 55-60mph set on cruise.

Best result is P&G but you need to watch the freeway terrain to see if its upslope/downslope. If its upslope, just use cruise and relax and if its down- use P&G to say 5 mph above speed limit and let it cruise down. Rinse and repeat. So many choices but you have to be situational aware of what the road & traffic isdoing.

Best result is P&G but you need to watch the freeway terrain to see if its upslope/downslope. If its upslope, just use cruise and relax and if its down- use P&G to say 5 mph above speed limit and let it cruise down. Rinse and repeat. So many choices but you have to be situational aware of what the road & traffic isdoing.

Jus what is meant by P&G?  Sorry not familiar with that term and I'm too lazy to look it up in the acronyms list

Pulse and Glide. Run up to 65mph, let it glide down to 58 mph and repeat. Feel free to throw in some EV at 60mph to sustain a longer glide but don't overdo it...most drivers drain it too low and as a result, they have no EV for the next glide phase.

Very interesting I'll have a try at this

as i said in another forum, we need Jus to do a video of his dash display land his voice over while driving to show all the users here exactly what he means. not everyone can understand or learn by reading. many need to also see or hear or both to comprehend, understand and learn how to do something.

rig it up Jus. we know you can do it.

you owe it to the cmax community. especially since you have the best route/roads to show what is possible in the cmax.

Pulse and Glide. Run up to 65mph, let it glide down to 58 mph and repeat. Feel free to throw in some EV at 60mph to sustain a longer glide but don't overdo it...most drivers drain it too low and as a result, they have no EV for the next glide phase.

as i said in another forum, we need Jus to do a video of his dash display land his voice over while driving to show all the users here exactly what he means. not everyone can understand or learn by reading. many need to also see or hear or both to comprehend, understand and learn how to do something.

rig it up Jus. we know you can do it.

you owe it to the cmax community. especially since you have the best route/roads to show what is possible in the cmax.

Yes I think this would be just the ticket to do a tutorial video.  Especially for lefties living in a right handed world like me who don't understand clearly from verbal or in this case typed instructions.  Jus do you have access to a GoPro or equivalent camera?  I wish I lived nearer to SoCal I'd drive down and direct this video shoot myself using my GoPro. Could you do this for the forum's mentally challenged owners like myself.  Pretty please, Oh master of infinite mileage, help us Obi-wan your my only hope...sorry got carried away with the scripted line from Star Wars. :worship: :camera: :salute:

yeah it would help to have someone sit in the backseat behind the driver to show road and then close up of dash display. I'm sure it's hard to do it with one person only and try to figure out how to mount the can for best view. with 2 you can zoom in and out.

the mpgomatic videos on YouTube are ok but he shows the cam facing him instead of on the road or the dash display which counts more to help learn the techniques.

we needed one for city/ town roads, and one for highway/freeway for the double tap thing.

Edited by salsaguy

yeah it would help to have someone sit in the backseat behind the driver to show road and then close up of dash display. I'm sure it's hard to do it with one person only and try to figure out how to mount the can for best view. with 2 you can zoom in and out.

the mpgomatic videos on YouTube are ok but he shows the cam facing him instead of on the road or the dash display which counts more to help learn the techniques.

we needed one for city/ town roads, and one for highway/freeway for the double tap thing.

Fly me out there!!! I'll do it!!!  Y'all all chip in on the airfare and I'll ...........big sigh..............sacrifice some vaycay days and fly out to California!  :hysterical:

Edited by Adair

Since I'm a video geek with all the equipment, I have a professional Canon XHA1 HD camcorder with 20x zoom and now my GoPro.  I have a design rolling around in my head to mount the GoPro using a new attachment I just bought yesterday for mounting it to the handlebars of my mountain bike.  I'm going to buy a piece of wooden dowel or possible a rod of clear acrylic.  Fabricate notches in either end so it will hang horizontally with a compression fit between the two front seat chrome head rest posts which slide the head rest up and down.  This will point the GoPro forward and capture the MFT screen as well as the view out the windshield and possibly get the screen in front of the drivers seat as well because the GoPro is a wide angle fixed lens with no zoom ability.  Or I could even mount the GoPro down on the passenger side floor or on the center console and point it at the drivers seat with my pro camera pointed forward using my tripod.  Then after the shoot, edit all the footage between the two cameras and punch it up on YouTube.  I could post a link to the finished Vid so everyone could take a look at a typical day and drive with me and Max.

Since I'm a video geek with all the equipment, I have a professional Canon XHA1 HD camcorder with 20x zoom and now my GoPro.  I have a design rolling around in my head to mount the GoPro using a new attachment I just bought yesterday for mounting it to the handlebars of my mountain bike.  I'm going to buy a piece of wooden dowel or possible a rod of clear acrylic.  Fabricate notches in either end so it will hang horizontally with a compression fit between the two front seat chrome head rest posts which slide the head rest up and down.  This will point the GoPro forward and capture the MFT screen as well as the view out the windshield and possibly get the screen in front of the drivers seat as well because the GoPro is a wide angle fixed lens with no zoom ability.  Or I could even mount the GoPro down on the passenger side floor or on the center console and point it at the drivers seat with my pro camera pointed forward using my tripod.  Then after the shoot, edit all the footage between the two cameras and punch it up on YouTube.  I could post a link to the finished Vid so everyone could take a look at a typical day and drive with me and Max.

Forgot to mention my editing platform is a MacPro 8 core processor using Final Cut Pro editing suite.  Not bragging just letting everyone know in case there's any Video business floating around out there in Cyberspace.

mtb, you rock if you can do a day in the life of a c-max owner.

p.s. glad you are a Canon fan like me.

There optics are the best, plus for the money, best bang for the buck they offered 20x optical zoom on the XHA1.  Others only had less range.  When my camcorder went down to Compton for repairs they did an excellent job and got it back in a reasonable amount of time.  Plus refurbished the exterior of the camera, it looked like new again.  Plus they are great in low light situations, able to shoot with good quality with no extra lighting required for the shoot.  I believe my camera is rated at 1LUX or one candle light power.

Congrats MTB!

I drive backroads to and from work every day!  This provides 2 distinct advantages.

1)   I no longer deal with the highway horseshit, less traffic, fewer idiots to deal with so less stress!

2)   Most important = Higher MPG's!

I drive with a light foot since learning how to hypermile 5 years ago, but Eco Cruise has an even lighter foot than mine.  I use eco cruise constantly and I'm getting 51+ average mpg.  I'll be joining the 600 mile club in a few days.

The high mpg's are there for the taking.

Good luck, it only gets better!