50mpg on the expressway........

Recumpence

Hey Guys and Gals,

I wanted to let you know that I have had two excursions into the city which required about 45 minutes of expressway driving (70mph) in each direction. In both instances in both directions I have been able to average over 50mpg. There are two secrets to this;

#1 Keeping the engine running with battery level high (this is a long discussion as to why keeping the engine running is better on the expressway).

#2 Drafting. I look for the perfect truck, van, or SUV to draft behind. What I have found is best is a flatbed semi. I think that has to do with the lower deck on a flatbed than a box. But, I have been able to see extended periods of 57mpg behind a flatbed and about 51mpg behind a semi at 70mph on flat expressways.

Anyway, I know many of you do not like drafting (I do stay a reasonable distance back for safety reasons). But, it really makes a difference in mpg.

Matt

I might add that if you can find a semi who goes at 60mph (and they do over here in CA due to the 55mph limit law), that would be perfect - because you can pulse up to 66, let it drop to regen and hit the EV at 60 exactly to maintain that speed as much as possible and drift down to 58mph. Rinse & repeat. Yeah, less speed but you're buying MPG points there. Thats what I use for Mammoth at full load.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

dang....  i'm not going to get close to that going 70-80 MPH over 1,400 miles am i?

oh well.  after creating a rudimentary excel sheet i can see the $ difference between 35 mpg and 47 mpg over that distance with regular fuel is only about $36 anyways. 

i'll hope for 44 mpg but if i don't get it then  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯