"Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking" spaces?

Recumpence

Hello All,

I just wanted to let you know about an interesting thing that happened to me today.

My wife and I went shopping and when I pulled into the grocery store (local organic store), I saw the front most spot open. Hmm, I pulled in only to look up and see a sign that read "Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking". Wow, the first time I have been able to park in a special spot! I thought for sure it would be a handicapped space, but NO, it was for FE vehicles only! I looked over at my mileage reading on the dash and at my wife and said "Well, at 51mpg on this trip, I would say I qualify to park here!"  

Cool!

Matt

Oh, the name of the store? Whole Foods.....    :)

Edited by Recumpence

very cool. but I'm wondering how many will abuse it since no permit/placard is required and no min mpg value is expected. and what will they do it you violate it? there is no legal vehicle code to cite you for.

FE is very much subjective to interpretation. A 15 mpg sports car would be more FE compared to the same owners 8 mpg V12 Bentley at home so....who's to say...

:)

Edited by salsaguy

most people won't know the difference between an Energi and just a hybrid. most folks don't even know what a c-max is and most haven't seen any/one.

the cmax looks futuristic enough that it's easy to pass for a FE vehicle.

the ones that will have a harder time is the Camry Hybrid which looks like a regular Camry / good sized family sedan and not like a FE car at all soI wouldn't worry. Park away.

I will have to ask my sister about this as she works at a Whole Foods here the valley (of So. Cal.)

Salsa guy, your statement "most folks don't even know what a c-max is" really rings true.  I was responding to a freebie offer today and was asked what I drove and when I responded with C-Max the used car salesman asked what that was.  This was at a FORD dealership in Michigan not 10 miles from the factory.

I concur with Salsaguy. How do they plan to interprete/enforce this. A couple of years ago you might have designated these spaces for hybrid cars, but there are now so many options that might be considered green. A driver of a Suburban that could use E85 might consider his car green. Or a hybrid Suburban might legitimately consider his car fuel efficient. At least the C-Max is the real deal.

We should see more spaces like this as more buildings are biuilt to LEED standards. A building needs a certain number of points to get certified and "green" parking spaces can get you a few.

Edited by Tdefny

I think there is no way to enforce it. I would assume this is on the honor system.

As for people not knowing what the C-Max is, try this one on for size;

When I was shopping for my Max, I asked a friend (who's son works as a designer at Ford in Michigan) what his son (again, a FORD employee) what he thought of the C-Max and he simply answered "I have never heard of that car".

I couldn't believe it..........

Matt

The closest World Food (although we like the store) is too far to drive for "up close" parking. :)  

One probably has to get local communities to pass laws on restrictive parking in order for enforcement of such signs on public property.  On private property, I believe the owner of the property has the right to have vehicles towed with little, if any consequences especially if signage clearly indicates the parked vehicle is in violation.  So the question is does World Food (likely in a shopping center) have the owner's permission to have unauthorized vehicles towed.  I wouldn't want to pay a $150 tow / storage bill if I decided to park in a "fuel efficient" space to get my vehicle back even if I thought I was right (my Jetta TDI was more fuel efficient than my C-Max).  A hundred yard walk trumps $150.

unless the township has a ordinance that allows enforcement there is nothing that can be done. Here there are a number of charging stations put there by businesses for their employee's and customers. The city council passed a tow / ticket ordinance that allows for towing the vehicle and a 250.00 parking fine.

• 3 weeks later...