That's "IT" nothing else to prove

catsailor

Congrats to Jus and Matt for continuing to set the "Bar" for fuel efficiency standards...truly amazing. What is amazing to me since I am in sales and I drive to see clients and sometimes I am late and need to drive faster and sometimes I can hold the speed limit. Most times especially this week I needed to run AC each and every time out, no way around the heat and humidity around the Washington DC area. Scored a 560 mile tank at 11.8 gallons used for 47.4 mpg on my instruments. Only reason I gassed up was to record this fill up as part of my monthly expense for this month. +600 miles is NO BIGGIE anymore and my last 3 tanks have been above 47 mpg.

I don't know what more you can ask of this car? It delivers 47/47/47 with Air Conditioning running. My +11,000 mile lifetime average is now at 42.9 mpg and had you told me this when I first picked up my car I would have not believed you. What else can you ask this car to do? I drive the DC beltway as well Baltimore Beltway, freeways and congested traffic. No scenic routes here, if I detour is cause its a traffic jam.

Congrats to the 600 mile clubbers and for those still trying hang in there...it shall come.

My +11,000 mile lifetime average is now at 42.9 mpg...

catsailor,

43 mpg is impressive, especially given the fact that you have to do so much freeway driving and have to use the AC so much.

My current lifetime mpg is 38, and it has been climbing about 0.1 mpg per week since the warm spring weather arrived.  If this trend continues, I predict I will hit the low 40's by the time my one year C-Max ownership anniversary arrives in November. I will be satisfied with that.  With the cold Pennsylvania winters, I realize I can never approach the record lifetime mpg's Jus-A-CMax and the other hypermilers are getting.  I do want to get to 40 mpg in the worst way.

There is never a time that I don't have my air conditioner running.  It is over 90F here during the day, mostly 92-96.  I bought this car to drive, not to suffer.  Even with that, I am still right in line with the promised MPG, and I just passed only the first 1,000 miles.  I am, however, doing mostly city type driving.

At those temps, it crazy not to use AC, even I would - screw the MPGs. By the way, AC on means you work a wee bit harder to maintain the extra charging needed for the AC. It can be done and should not be that costly, for those who still want to game it in the heat. PS the heat means your startup cycle is cut way less, probably around 0.01 to 0.02 fuel usage ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax