Ford EcoBoost Drive Event Challenge

RetiredJohn

FYI.......Ford hosted the EcoBoost Challenge in the Chicago Suburban area on June 29th.  At the event there were a lot of "giveaways" as well as the ability to HyperMile Drive a C-Max, then drive EcoBoost models against the competition and finally a speed race with the new 2014 Fiesta.  This event is coming to many towns so check with the Ford site and sign up. :drool:

P.S.  Afterward I received an email that an "offer" is coming soon, again via email, that a Free Ford ESP Plan will be offered for new purchasers of a Ford product. :happy feet:  I haven't seen anything yet but it just might make me "pull-the-trigger" and get that Max I want!  I'm assuming it will be sent shortly to entice a 2013 MY purchase before the 2014's come out!

how / where do we sign up?

Edit: found it. be sure to view all 10 videos so you get all 10 chances to win

https://www.fordeventgiveaway.com/

Actually this is something different.  The drive challenge info is here.  

Pre-registration is live at fordecoboostchallengedrive.com. Space is limited and available on first-come, first-served basis.

Events will open at 9 a.m. and run all day through 6 p.m. in most markets. Locations and dates are:

• Boston, Gillette Stadium, June 22
  • Washington, D.C., FedEx Field, June 29
  • Chicago, Arlington Park, June 29
  • San Francisco, Golden Gate Fields, July 13
  • Los Angeles, Rose Bowl, July 20
  • New York City, Citi Field, August 17
  • Charlotte, Charlotte Motor Speedway, August 24
  • Atlanta, Turner Field, September 7
  • Dallas, Cowboys Stadium, September 7
  • Orlando, Orange County Convention Center, September 14
  • Houston, Sam Houston Race Park, September 14
  • Miami, Gulfstream Park, September 21
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, Canterbury Park, September 21

Actually this is something different.  The drive challenge info is here.  

Pre-registration is live at fordecoboostchallengedrive.com. Space is limited and available on first-come, first-served basis.

Events will open at 9 a.m. and run all day through 6 p.m. in most markets. Locations and dates are:

• Boston, Gillette Stadium, June 22
  • Washington, D.C., FedEx Field, June 29
  • Chicago, Arlington Park, June 29
  • San Francisco, Golden Gate Fields, July 13
  • Los Angeles, Rose Bowl, July 20
  • New York City, Citi Field, August 17
  • Charlotte, Charlotte Motor Speedway, August 24
  • Atlanta, Turner Field, September 7
  • Dallas, Cowboys Stadium, September 7
  • Orlando, Orange County Convention Center, September 14
  • Houston, Sam Houston Race Park, September 14
  • Miami, Gulfstream Park, September 21
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, Canterbury Park, September 21

OK, I just did all 10 too  :drop:   Now make sure if you live in a town the PHYSICAL driving challenge is held sign up at fordecoboostchallengedrive.com

thanks John. i just signed my wife (cutie75) and I up for the Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl 7/20 event for the 1pm time slot. if anyone else is going to this lets set up a meet n greet.

I am a fool for doing this...cya there salsaguy signed up for the 1pm. U'll never recognize me cause I'll be driving a Prii there and be in disguise :kookie:

cool. I'll have to give you my phone/email in a pm so we can meet before or after. hey don't drive a prius to the event drive your Cmax so you can show it off to my wife and i. it's open for anyone not just non Ford owners right?
i wonder if they will recognize you from the Irvine meet event. it's probably different folks since this is not cmax only testing.
wish the Focus ST had paddle shifters. it's been a long time since I drove a stick shift. I'm sure my wife will have to skip that as same for her but she is more wimpy than me.

I am a fool for doing this...cya there salsaguy signed up for the 1pm. U'll never recognize me cause I'll be driving a Prii there and be in disguise :kookie:

Edited by salsaguy

cool. I'll have to give you my phone/email in a pm so we can meet before or after. hey don't drive a prius to the event drive your Cmax so you can show it off to my wife and i. it's open for anyone not just non Ford owners right?

i wonder if they will recognize you from the Irvine meet event. it's probably different folks since this is not cmax only testing.

wish the Focus ST had paddle shifters. it's been a long time since I drove a stick shift. I'm sure my wife will have to skip that as same for her but she is more wimpy than me.

I'll be there. Maxine is a dime a dozen, but she's mine. So I can show the car but l think you know jus about the same about this car as me.

If the event is anything like the promo, it should be FUN to fang around the ST. Hope its the auto, I have not driven a stick shift since my Ford Falcon XR-6 back in 98 but then it was on the right hand side drive :victory: too...yowzers...clutch...enter that word into my brain...computing....

The "hypermile instructions" sounds like :love_shower:  too....can't wait....be like :skateboard:  & :headspin:  again...wooo weee.... :jump_earth:...teach me sometime new..cause i'm a  :noobie:..hope I keep my cool if they start telling me it's better to do a 1 bar acceleration vs 2.... :gaah:

ps yes, i :wub2:  the emoticons. cause i can :thumbsup:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

i thought there wasn't an auto version of the Focus ST??

I'm sure we'll get more info as the event approaches.

i doubt the info they teach you on hypermiling will help you but it will be nice to tell them what you can do. i would be sure to bring a copy or 2 of your 800+ mile trip and highest mpgs in your Cmax to show them and put big O's on their faces :0. ;)

i thought there wasn't an auto version of the Focus ST??

I'm sure we'll get more info as the event approaches.

i doubt the info they teach you on hypermiling will help you but it will be nice to tell them what you can do. i would be sure to bring a copy or 2 of your 800+ mile trip and highest mpgs in your Cmax to show them and put big O's on their faces :0. ;)

ST...I dunno...u could be right...that would make it very interesting.

Its interesting that its in the actual Rose Bowl itself...they must hve the car park staked out with the tracks and if its the Rose Bowl, there will be tons of people...not "limited".

I'm not sayin nuthin...I always have my pics in my drop box anyway should I change my mind. Let me see...I should be done with this tank next week and be just starting a new tank but that drive on the 210 to the Rose Bowl is vicious coming from San Fernando, got some big hills to climb from Sunland thru Tujunga to Verdugo...and then its downhill...but still...its gonna chew some MPGs up.

Go ahead -- PM me the info and lets try and catchup.

PS I was jus looking at my Trip1 and Trip2 photos in the Drop Box, its freaky. I swear they will think its photochopped. Or its an Energi.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

No Jus, it will be outside the bowl in the huge parking lots area on asphault. No way the Galaxy will allow tearing up the grass in the bowl.

I believe they will have 3 different courses: fast cones salom type, then hylermiling challenge for best mpg, and one more i dont know what.

The drive there will be a good test for you to try a different route for a change.

Edited by salsaguy

I did the Washington, DC event on June 29.  It was a lot of fun!  There were three basic test areas: a head-to-head competition through an auto-cross type course between the Ford Fusion and the Toyota Camry, and the Ford Escape and the Honda CR-V (each of the competitors is the sales leader in its class); a hypermile course with the C-MAX Hybrid and the Fusion Hybrid, and finally the ST Academy with the Focus ST and Fiesta ST.

The head-to-head competition was eye opening, to say the least!  The Fusion was a 2.0L EcoBoost AWD Titanium, against a Camry XLE V6 AWD.  No contest here - the Fusion handles better, turns better, accelerates better, and has far superior interior design and fit/finish.  The Camry had the worst steering I've ever experienced in a car.  The Escape was also a 2.0L EcoBoost AWD against a CR-V AWD (I-4 only, they don't offer a V6 or turbo-4 with the CR-V), and while the CR-V was decent, the Escape was also better in every way.  I must say, if Ford offered the Fusion wagon here, I'd be getting a 2.0L EcoBoost Titanium AWD Fusion wagon instead of the C-MAX...it's that awesome!  Fuel economy would certainly suffer, but what a ride!

The hypermile challenge was unwinnable when I arrived - they had hourly competitions for best mileage on the 1-mile loop, and the highest for my hour was 999.9!  (Someone got lucky enough to get the C-MAX Hybrid with the battery fully charged.)  I managed 46.8mpg without really trying, and ensuring I kept the speed up (25mph in turns, 30mph in straights).  Not sure if the 999.9-mpg guy ever hit the required speeds!  Best part was the C-MAX Hybrid I used for this run was EXACTLY what I'd ordered - Sterling Grey SEL w/302A and moonroof.  I was told I could not just keep going and take it home!  :lol:

The ST Academy was supposed to be the most fun, but in fact it was the least!  You got 2 laps - one familiarization lap, and one timed lap.  Naturally, when I ran it the timer was busted, so I never got a time.  You had to stay in 2nd gear the entire time, and you only got one lap before you had to wait in the entire line again.  I chose the Fiesta ST because, according to reviews, it improves on the Focus ST's handling and suspension in several ways.  The course was challenging, and I could never really get it fully up to speed, but it was certainly responsive!

As a gift, you got a Ford lanyard to keep (from your event badge), and a pair of Ford-branded earbud headphones.  All in all, quite an entertaining way to spend a few hours!  Highly recommended!

I'll be there. Maxine is a dime a dozen, but she's mine. So I can show the car but l think you know jus about the same about this car as me.

If the event is anything like the promo, it should be FUN to fang around the ST. Hope its the auto, I have not driven a stick shift since my Ford Falcon XR-6 back in 98 but then it was on the right hand side drive :victory: too...yowzers...clutch...enter that word into my brain...computing....

The "hypermile instructions" sounds like :love_shower:  too....can't wait....be like :skateboard:  & :headspin:  again...wooo weee.... :jump_earth:...teach me sometime new..cause i'm a  :noobie:..hope I keep my cool if they start telling me it's better to do a 1 bar acceleration vs 2.... :gaah:

ps yes, i :wub2:  the emoticons. cause i can :thumbsup:

Yes, you have to be able to drive stick.  In fact, they say if you haven't driven a stick in over a year, that event is not for you! edit: I should have said that particular part of the event (the ST Academy) isn't for you.....just skip the speed challenge.  The HyperMile and EcoBoost course can be done by anyone with a valid Drivers License. 

Edited by RetiredJohn

thanks for the input. i was worried about the stick shift part.hmm i wonder how many lie about this part?

how many users (non Ford folks)  were there at the event during your hour and what time did you pick?

so you can't do one of the other 3 parts of you can't do the stick shift driving part?

was it all guys out were there women there too?

glad to hear they will have a grey Cmax there as that's what we are thinking of getting.

did they ask you if you were getting a Ford due to the results of the event?

did they give you any tips on mpg or just let you try to get the best you could?

i guess you can't do too many things in only a mile and esp if there are no hills or traffic to deal with.

madman,3 more questions:

1) before the event did they send you an email on all the rules and what to do, bring, etc or not?

2) did you see any kids of the drivers there (under 18) just hanging out watching their parent(s) doing the challenge or were they prohibited? want to know if we can bring our 12yr old son or not to the event or have to leave him home.in one of the vids on the Ford site it shows a kid in the back seat being thrown around sure to the G-Forces while their parent drive a challenge.

3) did they let you take pix at the event/bring your camera or not? (see Q#1) we do want to share and document for those here who didn't get to go.

that is funny huh Adair.maybe too many auto workers/employees live there and would mess up the survey user data/info they wanted to gather from the other non auto world folks in America. :)

maybe they should attract enough attention or they already got enough data from their own already in the motor city (well used to be motor city).

madman,3 more questions:

1) before the event did they send you an email on all the rules and what to do, bring, etc or not?

2) did you see any kids of the drivers there (under 18) just hanging out watching their parent(s) doing the challenge or were they prohibited? want to know if we can bring our 12yr old son or not to the event or have to leave him home.in one of the vids on the Ford site it shows a kid in the back seat being thrown around sure to the G-Forces while their parent drive a challenge.

3) did they let you take pix at the event/bring your camera or not? (see Q#1) we do want to share and document for those here who didn't get to go.

Salsa,

1) They just send an email confirmation of Date/Time and indicate no sandals and bring your Drivers License.

2) Kids were there but they want 18 year olds in the cars (if they have a license).  You drive the Hypermile course with 3  plus an "Instructor".  You switch after two laps each.  The other two events, the Head-to-Head and ST Academy you drive alone.

3) Yes pictures are A-OK