July 2013 review - Ford C-max Energi

Thanks for the links salsaguy. Yeah, too bad this car was not available when I was buying but it's was a bit out of our price range, even now especially with a $1,500+ 240V kit. I think I made a good decision for my regular CMax as a long haul vehicle though and now that I have my work route set, it's like 0.26 gas for a 21.4 mile trip, for 75+mpg which is ridiculous. yeah, yeah..i still get my 36mpg when I fang.

I took a look at the forum, its a mess. Sure makes me cherish this site.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

i think the hybrid is really the best bet. the plug in is really only for those who really only drive around town and

< 40mph, which is a rare selected few, and with the limited cargo area(pretty sure they will change that for 2015 model), and lower mpg numbers for highway, i think you have to really know what you are going to be doing with the Energi before buying one. like having it for a 2nd car for just around town whereas your primary car is for all other drives.

i think the hybrid is really the best bet. the plug in is really only for those who really only drive around town and

< 40mph, which is a rare selected few, and with the limited cargo area(pretty sure they will change that for 2015 model), and lower mpg numbers for highway,

Not strictly true. I do local drives (pure EV) all week, and then 200+ mile trips on the weekend (regular hybrid driving). Even with the Energi's reduced MPG compared to the Hybrid, my lifetime average is still much higher than the Hybrid would ever reach. My fuelly signature is showing just under 60 right now, probably go over 60 on my next fill. You really have to have lots of non-EV driving before the Hybrid starts to pull ahead. Yes, you should evaluate your personal diving patterns and see which one is better, but the Energi does quite well in mixed (EV/hybrid) driving, not just short range only. Edited by MikeB

Yes - I agree with that.  Probably not really an issue in Nebraska, but in the hilly areas, I think there is a lot of wasted regen opportunity.  Any hills will result in lower MPG, on any car, but at least the hybrids recapture some of the stored potential energy, and the PHEVs capture even more.

Our decision for the Hybrid and not Energi was based on the greater cargo carrying capability.  Our other car (my car) is a Buick LaCrosse - a mild hybrid, but with a smallish trunk due to space taken by the battery and associated electronics...it holds 2 suitcases and carry on or two, and that's it.  As a result, we wanted the C-Max with the most cargo space, but if our other car was a minivan or full size SUV or truck, then we definitely would have chosen the Energi - there's just not that much difference in net cost

I think one huge advantage is the size of the Energi battery where under the right terrain, will capture more charge than the regular cmax...for example the Sherwin grade from Toms Place to Bishop which is a 8+ long grade. Maxine is full Batts not even 1/4 of the grade, what a waste. ..

Edited by BIG ROCCO

Not strictly true. I do local drives (pure EV) all week, and then 200+ mile trips on the weekend (regular hybrid driving). Even with the Energi's reduced MPG compared to the Hybrid, my lifetime average is still much higher than the Hybrid would ever reach. My fuelly signature is showing just under 60 right now, probably go over 60 on my next fill. You really have to have lots of non-EV driving before the Hybrid starts to pull ahead. Yes, you should evaluate your personal diving patterns and see which one is better, but the Energi does quite well in mixed (EV/hybrid) driving, not just short range only.

An excellent point, and one that is not often noted.

Matches my experience and opinion precisely.