Energy Efficient Parking

mnrobitaille

I am curious if local law enforcement actually enforces the Energy Efficient Parking where only Hybrids, Plug-Ins, EVs, & Alternative Energy vehicles can park.

Here in my region, there are a few different lots where there are Energy Efficient Parking available, however it seems neither the property owner(s)/business(es) nor law enforcement want to bother with enforcing who's allowed to park in those spaces.

One of the units that has Energy Efficient Parking is a power utility, & they are not enforcing the guidelines.

I am curious what the steps are to get proper enforcement done so that us C-Max owners/drivers can have places to park where the C-Max can be highlighted more.

I am curious if local law enforcement actually enforces the Energy Efficient Parking where only Hybrids, Plug-Ins, EVs, & Alternative Energy vehicles can park.

Here in my region, there are a few different lots where there are Energy Efficient Parking available, however it seems neither the property owner(s)/business(es) nor law enforcement want to bother with enforcing who's allowed to park in those spaces.

One of the units that has Energy Efficient Parking is a power utility, & they are not enforcing the guidelines.

I am curious what the steps are to get proper enforcement done so that us C-Max owners/drivers can have places to park where the C-Max can be highlighted more.

To enforce, there is a need for a ordinance, 99 percent of the time the signs are put up with no ordinance in place to enforce it. For example there is a pizza place here that has a common parking lot, they put up signs that state parking was for their customers only, it cannot be enforced 

To enforce, there is a need for a ordinance, 99 percent of the time the signs are put up with no ordinance in place to enforce it. For example there is a pizza place here that has a common parking lot, they put up signs that state parking was for their customers only, it cannot be enforced 

So in other words, as it is with Handicapped/Disabled parking, there has to be a local/county/state ordinance on the books in order to enforce it.

Here in Austin I saw some ICE cars parked in "electric vehicle only" parking slots at a city park.  There was a cop there responding to some other people's complaint about double-parked cars, so I asked him about the EV spaces.  He said there's no city ordinance backing up that sign, so he couldn't do anything about it.  It's totally on the honor system.

That said, around here I've found that one particular park is the only place non-EVs frequently park in the EV spaces, even when there are empty spaces nearby.  In most other lots people respect the EV signs even when the lot is quite full.

Of course a private property owner can have cars towed if they disobey signs in their parking lot, but I doubt many retailers would want to cause conflict with a customer by doing so.  I suspect the sort of person who would park an ICE car in an EV space would be a bigger pain about being towed than you would about having someone else in your space.

Here in Austin I saw some ICE cars parked in "electric vehicle only" parking slots at a city park.  There was a cop there responding to some other people's complaint about double-parked cars, so I asked him about the EV spaces.  He said there's no city ordinance backing up that sign, so he couldn't do anything about it.  It's totally on the honor system.

That said, around here I've found that one particular park is the only place non-EVs frequently park in the EV spaces, even when there are empty spaces nearby.  In most other lots people respect the EV signs even when the lot is quite full.

Of course a private property owner can have cars towed if they disobey signs in their parking lot, but I doubt many retailers would want to cause conflict with a customer by doing so.  I suspect the sort of person who would park an ICE car in an EV space would be a bigger pain about being towed than you would about having someone else in your space.

We, owners of the C-Max Energi & C-Max Hybrid, might want to see about getting ahold of our city councils, county commissioners, & state officials to see about getting ordinances passed that define who can & cannot park in those spaces. With the current EV vehicles having a range of only about 75-100 miles, those spaces designated for EV or Energy Efficient spaces need to be treated the same as disabled/handicapped spaces where those who are not within an energy efficient vehicle get ticketed/fined. 

This may seem a bit overboard, however being that I am disabled, as well as having the C-Max, most times the Energy Efficient spaces are close to the door (in case the handicapped/disabled spaces are full). Setting up this new ordinance/regulation could help bring in additional monies for state/local coffers. 

Concerning the private businesses, one of those who have energy efficient spaces here is the power company. I have asked them why they have those spaces, if they're not monitoring who parks there & all they say is they cannot do anything about it, even though when they remodeled their office, those spaces were put in to show that they were welcoming to those vehicles. 

Other than in places like California, a lot of places have been slow to come to these kinds of ordinances.  However, times are changing, and progress is happening, even in many of those places. 

When I recently parked at a Costco, there were a few FE and hybrid type cars parked next to mine.  (A coincidence, as there are no charging stations or reserved for FE car parking spaces in their lot.)  I happened to notice that they all had the same sticker.  Seeing this sticker led to me find out that I exempt from paying certain tolls, and that I can ride in the HOV lanes for free. 

I never figured that Florida would have done anything like this.  Just waiting for my new tags to arrive so that I can take the paperwork to the tag agency.  :dance:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Other than in places like California, a lot of places have been slow to come to these kinds of ordinances.  However, times are changing, and progress is happening, even in many of those places. 

When I recently parked at a Costco, there were a few FE and hybrid type cars parked next to mine.  (A coincidence, as there are no charging stations or reserved for FE car parking spaces in their lot.)  I happened to notice that they all had the same sticker.  Seeing this sticker led to me find out that I exempt from paying certain tolls, and that I can ride in the HOV lanes for free. 

I never figured that Florida would have done anything like this.  Just waiting for my new tags to arrive so that I can take the paperwork to the tag agency.  :dance:

I wonder if Washington State has a similar program in place. Considering here in Washington, we have two toll roads now, plus Western Washington having the HOV Lanes. 

If I recall correctly that one is at the federal level - the American Disabilities Act, the fines are set at the local level

Concerning the ADA, the regulation concerning the disabled/handicapped parking is all through the state level, concerning the signage, space design, & fine. All the ADA is at the Federal Level is a guideline.

What normally happens is that the mayor and city council are made aware of the issue. They then task the staff to write an ordinance. The staff almost always searches to see what other cities have on their books.

A quick search found these examples.

Http://www.generalcode.com/codification/sample-legislation

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/263878/2/Officers-are-now-enforcing-electric-vehicle-parking-ordinance

http://www.countyofkane.org/Documents/Focus%20on%20the%20County/Kane%20Electric%20Car%20Ordinance%20Called%20National%20Model.pdf

My suggestion would be to first contact a council person get get their interest. Have a draft of a proposed ordinance. That way you get in what you want it to say. Have a group of people that will show up at meetings, send emails and make calls ( aka "squeaky wheels") finally be patient. It's a long process.

I actually thought this thread was going to be about how to park to save gas. So by the way, I park where I pull through so I don't have to back up to get out.  I also go out of my way to park in the shade which saves on air conditioning.

If there are preferred spots, I would rather save them for senior citizens and handicapped people and people with small children. 

Concerning the ADA, the regulation concerning the disabled/handicapped parking is all through the state level, concerning the signage, space design, & fine. All the ADA is at the Federal Level is a guideline.

Interesting, was not what I was told in orientation, but as far as the fines go it is at the local level, the township here just boosted the fine to 500.00 for parking lots and they are starting to question the people that have the mirror tags that pop into the spots

Edited by Wingrider01

I actually thought this thread was going to be about how to park to save gas. So by the way, I park where I pull through so I don't have to back up to get out.  I also go out of my way to park in the shade which saves on air conditioning.

If there are preferred spots, I would rather save them for senior citizens and handicapped people and people with small children. 

There are areas where there is parking for Senior Citizens & Pregnant Women, those lots that feature those spaces, it is up to the store/retail complex to enforce who can & cannot park there, there is no local ordinance involved concerning those spaces. 

Handicapped Parking is technically mandated by local/state ordinance & so thechnically the only ones who can park in those spaces must have either a parking placard, decal or plate that designates that person has the parking privilege.

To be honest i never been seen any kind of parking like that most of the time i always encounter expensive parking lot.In Finland i experience a pysäköintialue or parking lot that charge me a huge amount for several hour and it is quite annoying but then i realize my car is safe and hope to see soon a energy efficient parking space and that one seem cool.

The majority of Energy Efficient spaces can be found where there's a higher presence of Plug-In Vehicles (C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi, Focus Electric). The metropolitan area near me has 3-4 parking lots that have Energy Efficient Parking. 

If you want them, the signs should say:

47 EPA

(or more)

Rated

Vehicles

Only!
:stirpot:

To me, the signs are there just to boost a "Green" image.  We don't need more ordinances.  I too thought this topic was about saving fuel while parking, and since it didn't sound like you could save very much, I ignored it for a while.  However, I like the ideas of pull-through and shade.  Which reminds me of a shady space at work which once was "claimed" by a certain employee.  Others who parked there were likely to "hear about it".  Hence the limerick:

There once was a parking space fair,

With a maple to hide the sun's glare.

And its great popularity,

Showed with great clarity.

Why we should all want to share!

If you want them, the signs should say:

47 EPA

(or more)

Rated

Vehicles

Only!

:stirpot:

To me, the signs are there just to boost a "Green" image.  We don't need more ordinances.  I too thought this topic was about saving fuel while parking, and since it didn't sound like you could save very much, I ignored it for a while.  However, I like the ideas of pull-through and shade.  Which reminds me of a shady space at work which once was "claimed" by a certain employee.  Others who parked there were likely to "hear about it".  Hence the limerick:

There once was a parking space fair,

With a maple to hide the sun's glare.

And its great popularity,

Showed with great clarity.

Why we should all want to share!

Yes, in a way, the Energy Efficient parking spaces are to boost a company's "green" image, however at the same time, knowing that those spaces are designated most specifically for EVs & Plug-Ins, as well as (depending on local/state ordinance) hybrids or alternative fuel. Most of the Energy Efficient parking spaces I've noticed are located with some sort of shade source (building or tree). 

• 3 weeks later...

The Chicago Park District has been putting up those signs for a while now. But they make no mention of how those vehicles are defined or if you will receive a ticket if you park your Bugatti Veyron in one.

As an aside, if you are in the neighborhood of Soldier Field, there are supposedly charging stations in the north parking garage. I'm curious if any Energi owners have used them.

I didn't think they really had any teeth because there was no fine or other threat listed, but I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

We were in a long line to get into the lot on the east side of the Field Museum but there were enough line-hoppers way up ahead that the lot was full right before we got in. People just started pulling in between other cars expecting them to make way, and many of them did! We were hoping to get into that lot because my wife has had both knees replaced and a long walk can be exhausting for her, but she's not bad enough to feel she needs a handicapped placard.

Anyway, we went to the Soldier Field garage and, after driving through several lanes looking for a space, we spotted several openings that everybody ahead of us was driving by. They were right by the entrance to the elevators and we laughed as we took one. Others started to pull in, saw they were FE spots, and kept on going. I can only hope one was the last line-hopper that didn't make it into the other lot...