Question about the Cruising "Coach"

spyburn

I'm about halfway through my second tank of gas and getting about 42 mpg on average - which is slightly better than I expected based on the amount of 70+ mph roads I drive each day.  I'm working on improving, however and I've been playing with different displays, cruise vs. non cruise, hill assist vs. not, etc.  

So today I'm in eco cruise at 70 mph and I switch my display to see the "fuel efficiency" display and I get the acceleration, braking and cruising coach.  WTH?  Cruising coach was yellow and almost down to 1/4 bar!!!  My acceleration and braking graphs were great, but the cruising one sucked!  Later, when I was on a road where I'm traveling at a slower speed (abt 60 mph) but going up and down some fairly large hills, my "cruising" coach tells me I'm great.

I pulled up my owner's manual when I got home.  Let's just say it wasn't very helpful.  So can anyone tell me what actual behavior is being measured here?  I was thinking it was looking for consistency in speed, but since I was getting crap results on cruise control, I'm guessing not.  

If this topic has already been addressed somewhere, I apologize - I didn't find it when I searched the forum.  Thanks in advance for all of the wisdom you are about to send my way!

I have this screen up in MY VIEW, and the first time I saw what you are describing, it threw me too. When we were driving to INDY last weekend, all freeway, in Eco-cruise @ 68-70 mph, I saw that yellow bar a lot. My take on it is, if you're doing mostly freeway driving, in Eco-cruise, you're not really *cruising* to add charge the battery. Not the same as if you let off the brakes going downhill, or cruise up to a stoplight. 

I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

It's only a guess, but you should read the ICE High posts, and then try that while checking the efficiency.  Right around 67-68 mph will do a lot better for you than 70. 

Seems to me that the 'coaches' reflect mpg, much the same way the green leaves do.  At 70 mph+ regardless of driving mode fuel economy is lower and the coach reflects that.

From a fuel economy standpoint, 70mph is not cruising it's hauling @$$!   :)   

I think you have all hit the nail on the head. I don't think you will ever see a good cruising score when driving a distance at 70+MPH.  As a simple test, try cruising at 64-67 MHP for an extended period of time (manual or in ECO-Cruise). The difference in your cruising score should be quite noticeable.  I cruise down the road at 64-68 every day, and the cruising score I see is always within a tick or two from the top.

Edited by Riddley