Ford Hybrid Sales Booming In California

There's an article in the Wall Street Journal today about how well Ford is doing with hybrid sales California. Google the title to view the article.

Ford Clips Toyota's Wings in California

More Drivers on West Coast Turn Away From Preference for Japanese, European Car Imports

The success of the Fusion and C-Max and the redesigned Ford Escape sport utility have helped lift Ford's share of retail sales up by nearly 2 percentage points on the East and West coasts compared with five years ago, according to data supplied by R.L. Polk & Co. Retail exclude sales to rental and other fleet buyers. In California, which imports first conquered three decades ago, Ford's comeback is turning heads.

Frank Calamia, 60, who lives in Monterey, Calif., was shopping for a Mercedes GLK when his wife convinced him to drive an Escape with the top-end "Titanium" package that includes electronic parking assistance and high-intensity headlight.

"I reluctantly took this thing out for a test drive and it blew me away. This was very responsive when I was driving it—when you floor it, it throws you in the back of the seat," Mr. Calamia said.

Erin O'Malley-Minchell, 35, turned in her Prius a few weeks ago for a red C-Max "Energi"—a plug-in hybrid. She was getting ready to get another Prius when her dad asked her to test drive a Ford.

"I loved my Prius, but when I test drove the Ford, it was insane—I loved it. Everything about it was that much better than the Prius," she said.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi