Autoweek 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL review

I find several comments quite amusing. :)  

even Blake Z. Rong, driving delicately and with total concentration, could only get 38 mpg from this thing, and getting that, he said, was “hard as hell.” How Ford got those numbers -- 47 all across the board -- is beyond me and perhaps beyond the reach of human understanding. You'd have to leave science behind and go into marketing and public relations to grasp it. What is that EPA drive cycle like, anyway?

Lastly, I tried to reach Ford's claimed mileage target of 47 mpg -- which was, as I recall from college-level history classes, one of Hercules's Labors. How Ford was able to play the EPA testing cycle to achieve 47 mpg across the board deserves a pat on the back from the Mensa Board of Directors. My best effort was 38 mpg, ticking over the mark just as I pulled into the press fleet parking lot. I tried to drive in EV mode as much as possible, which is easy to do if one stares at the series of digital gauges on the left. “Empower,” “Engage,” “Enlighten,” and “Inform” are the titles for the various display setups one can choose from, presumably lifted from an Oprah self-help seminar. 

Monty, you need to set the cruise to about 60-65 to get the best mpg with the eco cruise function.it will increase/decrease the speed accordingly to max the fuel economy. if set to 75-85, you will only be using gas engine (with no help from the electric battery assist), at least for now until you get the FE update applied. after that, setting a higher mph set point in eco cruuse may get a bit better mpg than now at those speeds.