I don't want to be rude . . .

Altazi

Hello BrentWI,

I cannot speak to the electric bill or performance questions, as I do not have the plug-in version.  I wanted to have the plug-in version, but found that the space required by the larger battery pack killed the car for me.  Are you certain that you would have enough space in the rear with the larger battery?

The Energi (plug-in) is 7% heavier than the hybrid, so that's roughly how much slower it's acceleration will be.  I don't have any trouble with accelerating or passing with mine.

The trunk space is considerably smaller with the Energi.  I posted some photos on the Energi forum showing how the cargo space is affected and what you might be able to fit in it.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/gallery/album/11-viajero/

As for the cost, I find I get about 3 miles per kWh (from the wall).  Electric rates vary widely from place to place, by how much you use, and by time of day.  You'll have to look at your electric bill and find your specific cost per kWh, then divide by 3 to get cost per mile.

The Energi (plug-in) is 7% heavier than the hybrid, so that's roughly how much slower it's acceleration will be.

On the Energi forum someone just posted the results of an online chat with Ford engineers.  They said the Energi does indeed have a lower final drive ratio than the hybrid, so it will probably not have much slower acceleration (when using ICE).  Of course I haven't seen a drag race between the two yet, so that all theorizing.