Improve CMax underside aerodynamics?

I was underneath my SEL today to do a fesability study for adding additional

Undercarriage panels to smooth airflow under the car. Assuming that the panel Ford provided under the engine works there are areas towards the back left uncovered that in theory could cause air disruption or cavitation in the flow path. Just past the gas tank cover and in front of the metal crossmember for the rear suspension there is a large opening left presumably to gain access to an electronic module of some kind which is partially protected from heat of the exhaust by an aluminized cover. Also behind the rear tires and leading to the rear valance panel there is the large void containing items like the battery, muffler. All of these areas could be covered fairly easily by fabricating a covering similar to the Ford cover under the engine. I have been toying with the idea of constructing a rear air diffuser that could be mounted on the undercarriage by various means of fasteners. Then conforming under the muffler on to the rear valance. Also in the spaces around and behind the rear wheels.

I have an idea how to accomplish the fabrication but lack the tools and shop to do it. It is my feeling that 3rd party suppliers of this sort of product will never build something like this for fthe CMax since it might be considered as not a performance vehicle which has driven so many other products to be made for the many Japanese and Euro sport cars.

So I just might have to take this on to start interest for the CMax, but I'm not sure how with the lack of resources.

Edited by mtb9153

One would assume that if extending the cardboard undercovers further back would improve mileage, Ford would have done that.  I recently peaked under my C-Max and was amazed on how much the undercarriage is covered, although there are open spots near the rear.  I suspect its open in the rear to provide additional cooling to both the exhaust and electric systems which is probably more important than any minor increase to mileage.

Joe, good thoughts thanks for sharing.  Since I feel these mods would have little affect since I never drive fast enough to do much good by doing this.  I confess I want to do it more for the racy look it would provide.  I have always been into making my rides look high tech and go for the "Wow" factor.  Cheers. :thumbsup: