mtb gaspod screenshots for 8/3/13

mtb9153

Hello Everyone, well I took another road trip today about 25 miles over pretty much flat roads local to my home.  Started the day at 45AvMPG and finished at 45AvMPG.  Fell as low as 44.9 and as high as 46.1  But I'm pleased to say I was able to keep my scores above 45.0 for 85% of my day before falling to 44.9 due so poor judgement.  But was back at 45.0 in about 5 miles.  I think my claim to success today was trying very hard to not exceed 2 bars when the ICE was running.  Doing so seems to make it easier for me to maintain my MPG's.  Tomorrow the wifee and I are heading back up to SFO for a day on Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39.  Tourist trap of SFO I call it.  I'll report more then, but without a doubt the GasPods are helping.  I've noticed marked improvement in the 30-45mph range and my 55-62mph range is showing steadier numbers as well.  I think it is safe to say I've locked in the sweet spot along the full width of the Max rear spoiler, placed 2 inches inboard from the edge following the radius of the spoiler.

I can't seem to attach pictures of todays mileage even after I reduce their size.  I keep getting an error message saying I've exceeded my attachment allotment size or something like that.  Jus how do I fix this problem?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering trying out the Gas Pods myself - I'm spending a lot of time on the highway in the 65MPH to 70MPH range.  It's obvious the aerodynamics of the vehicle at those speeds are killing my avg MPG.  I can hit mid 50s and low 60s around town (under 45MPH), but the instantaneous MPG gauge on the EMPOWER screen usually shows under 40MPG when on the freeway.  

You and Susan think the optimal location is along the trailing edge of the hatch then?  You said about 2 inches off of the sides, following the curve.  How far off of the rear edge?  

I'm a skeptic.  If Gaspods worked they or a similar device would be on every car manufactured today to help meet CAFE standards, and race cars to lessen drag.  But I can be convinced otherwise!  I'd like to see some long-term testing on the C-Max with its MPG reporting.  Say a person drives to work for a month with them on, then takes them off and drives another month, then compare, and repeat over a year, on and off.  That might take the natural variability of MPG readings out of the results and indicate if these small devices actually have an impact on the car.

mtb - I had the same problem with attachment limitations.  You need to contact a moderator and have it raised or removed.  BTW, you look like my double.  I'll post a picture sometime and see if you agree.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I'm a skeptic.  If Gaspods worked they or a similar device would be on every car manufactured today to help meet CAFE standards, and race cars to lessen drag.  But I can be convinced otherwise!  I'd like to see some long-term testing on the C-Max with its MPG reporting.  Say a person drives to work for a month with them on, then takes them off and drives another month, then compare, and repeat over a year, on and off.  That might take the natural variability of MPG readings out of the results and indicate if these small devices actually have an impact on the car.

mtb - I had the same problem with attachment limitations.  You need to contact a moderator and have it raised or removed.  BTW, you look like my double.  I'll post a picture sometime and see if you agree.

That's part of my skepticism as well - if they worked well enough to produce a 5% decrease in drag coefficient on something that already has a low drag coefficient (like a C-max or Prius) then Ford, GM or Toyota would have bought them, or licensed them exclusively, for use on their worst performing vehicles ... I'm looking at you Ford FLEX and F150!  Ford sells a lot of F150s that hurt their CAFE ratings, but improve their profits.  A decrease in drag coefficient on their best selling vehicle would help them a lot in CAFE.

If the makers of GasPods were looking for additional C-max test subjects, I'd gladly participate in a regimented test program.  I'm a degreed Engineer, working in the Automotive Industry in SE Michigan, Ford is currently my largest account, and I have previous Design & Test Engineering experience in automotive wheel bearings.  I know how to run a test ...

A think a good test would be simple.  Find a long stretch of lightly traveled level road, say at least 20 miles.  Pick a day without much wind.  Go in one direction with cruise control on, say at 45MPH.  Note MPG reading at end.  Turn around and repeat.  Then put the magnetic pods on.  Repeat the round trip.  Take pods off.  Repeat.  Maybe five round trips with and without.  Report results.

Boy we have skeptics, just kidding don't send me hate mail.  I just know that something has caused my numbers to improve and stabilize and I can't say it was just the software upgrade.  But in light of the recent posts about better stabilized numbers.  I bought my latest tank on Wednesday , drove it for a few days without resetting the fuel history which was reading 43.3 - 44.5.  On Friday I reset it and almost immediately the numbers started to climb as the computer relearned which I expected.  I got as high as 45.0 and then it started dropping without me changing anything in my driving style.  Right now I'm struggling to keep it above 40AvgMPG.  Keeps falling down to 37 and works back up to 39.9 - 40.1 only to drop back into the 30's again after I startup from a traffic light.  Seems the numbers are sucking again?  I give up. :gaah:

Did anyone notice that part of the 2014 CMax aerodynamic improvements include: the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds a lot like what the gaspods are suppose to do.

I believe that manufacturers don't use gaspods because, truthfully, they are ugly (sorry). Seriously, who would want them on their vehicles? Except those of us obsessed with mpg. I, for one, believe that they have potential to reduce drag and improve fuel economy. Since my daily drive is 27 miles one way and over 20 of that is interstate, I am VERY interested in seeing if these work.

HananahWCU I think your right, only performance mined drivers might not mind a series of 9 bumps running across their roofline.  So if the factory adopts something similar but more appealing to the common non performance driver, that would be good.  First time I saw these on a Subaru Turbo, I wanted some.  Suzanne happen to deliver them before I could design and make my own.  For which I'm very grateful and feel they are worth every cent of what I paid.

A think a good test would be simple.  Find a long stretch of lightly traveled level road, say at least 20 miles.  Pick a day without much wind.  Go in one direction with cruise control on, say at 45MPH.  Note MPG reading at end.  Turn around and repeat.  Then put the magnetic pods on.  Repeat the round trip.  Take pods off.  Repeat.  Maybe five round trips with and without.  Report results.

I know the perfect stretch of road on the OH Turnpike - and it would be at speeds where I'm looking to gain the most.

Go for it fellas... <goes get the pop-corn>

MI Cmax - they don't offer :airquote: testing samples, but apparently they do offer a discount if you baseline and report back (its like 2000 miles or something, their :airquote: testing Club). Check with the past posts here, somewhere.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Go for it fellas... <goes get the pop-corn>

MI Cmax - they don't offer :airquote: testing samples, but apparently they do offer a discount if you baseline and report back (its like 2000 miles or something, their :airquote: testing Club). Check with the past posts here, somewhere.

I just checked out their "Test Program" and downloaded the logbook for the first 2000 miles without the GasPods installed.  I'll give it a whirl.

Probably no better tester than a skeptic - imagine the glowing testimonial they'll have from me if it does work!

Edited by MI C-max

Does anyone know if there are any other aftermarket accessories to improve fuel efficiency?  I'm thinking things like wheel well covers like the Honda Insight used to have post-1386-0-43461700-1377533435_thumb.jpg, or cowlings to fit between the hood and windshield - covering up the voids where air can swirl around.

Edited by MI C-max

The "rear lift gate deflectors" to be added to the 2014 models will be nothing like these pods in that it will mainly just keep debris off the back window and it remains to be seen if it's a separate part that can be retrofitted on to the 2013 model.

I sure hope the new deflectors do this, as that is one thing I would like to be able to refit onto mine.  However, the press release Ford released said "the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics".  Based on this, I was thinking the deflectors were being fitted to reduce drag or something similar. Where did you hear that the "rear lift gate deflectors" were mainly to keep debris off the back window? 

Where did you hear that the "rear lift gate deflectors" were mainly to keep debris off the back window? 

In other forums people retrofit their cars with rear deflectors for that purpose, and I believe Ford used the term aerodynamics to jazz up the function, although it may indeed reduce drag.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Guys In defense of the GasPods, I will say they have cleaned up the rear air flow behind Maxus to some extent  I know this because I gave Maxus a complete exterior washing and detailing over last weekend.  Before GasPods my rear bumper and rear fenders behind the rear wheels openings would be covered in a fine black dust in short order after driving even a few miles.  I racked up 40 miles and the dusting is at a minimum, much less than before GasPods.  So I feel the air flow over the roof is better flowing and reducing the turbulence from behind Maxus.  Once I can design and build my rear air splitter prototype, I hope that even more improvement will be seen by further cleaning the air from under Maxus and hopefully making some downforce on all four corners at the same time.

Edited by mtb9153

yes and if your already have lots of fuelly data it's usable as the baseline.just be sure to get the magnetic ones if you get the gas pods so you can move them around and  test it and tweak it to get it just right. Also safer in case you mess it up...as has happened to one of our poor users here :

=== = = = = = = =

quoted text:

Same here AE. Need a good baseline from someone, for sure. I don't think mtb has that good of a stat (no offence dude)...

Excuuuuuuse Meeee, just kidding I know my struggles are well known and documented, making me not the best test bed.  But I still think GasPods are working and helping.

Edited by mtb9153

here is the thread/forum where we started taking about (around posts #10) installing the gas pods and their use and benefit and how to get them and the discount:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2266-a-discussion-of-aerodynamics-and-the-c-max/?hl=gaspods&do=findComment&comment=22525

I jumped on GasPods website yesterday and downloaded their logbook to start recording data w/o GasPods installed - I've already converted their logsheet into a spreadsheet.  When I submit the data to AE, I'll post it to a new thread.

• 4 months later...