MadManMoon's Fuel Economy Thread

MadManMoon

So, since I haven't filled my tank yet, I can't really report Fuelly statistics...but I can take photos of my trip summaries to get a sense of how I'm doing.  I missed the chance on my first few trips (from dealer to work, work to lunch, lunch to work, and work to home yesterday), but started this morning.

Here's the first trip, from my house to the office this morning:

20130808_072143_zpsca3b19d9.jpg

Here's my second trip, from work to an off-site location:

20130808_122539_zps4ced16be.jpg

And finally, here's the (blurry, sorry!) last trip, from that off-site location to my house:

20130808_155933_zpsf53cd021.jpg

So far, for a brand-new car that's not even broken in, I can easily say I am very happy with these results.  This was all using the tactic of accelerating in ICE mode up to the second bar on the Empower screen, then pulsing-and-gliding into and out of EV.  Most of the second and third trips were on a highway, where I tried to hold 60-65 mph.

Not a bad start!

If you miss getting a photo in the future, you can turn the car on again (accessory on, not started) and back off, and the trip and lifetime summary will come back up.  As long as you haven't gone "ready to drive" since your last trip, it'll still display the prior trip's stats.  At least that's how it works on my SE, not sure about the SEL.

You're doing awesome so far, it'll keep getting better!

Out of curiosity, do you have the 13B07 update yet?

You can just press the start (but not with the foot on the brake) which will put you into "Accessory" mode and you can get your Summary and Lifetime the next time you turn it off.

Also that last pic - at those miles, I would not fret, thats about 1 squirt of gas there too many to prevent you getting the 40+...yes, its that finnicky at these short miles. Jus focus on that nice lot of EV on this trip :)

If you miss getting a photo in the future, you can turn the car on again (accessory on, not started) and back off, and the trip and lifetime summary will come back up.  As long as you haven't gone "ready to drive" since your last trip, it'll still display the prior trip's stats.  At least that's how it works on my SE, not sure about the SEL.

You're doing awesome so far, it'll keep getting better!

Out of curiosity, do you have the 13B07 update yet?

Same on an SEL.  Just got the 13B07 update yesterday

I'm surprised with those decent brake score and EV miles why the mpg wasn't better. how are you doing on the acceleration score? make sure you turn the coach on to learn to brake and accelerate properly. use the empower or engage screen on the left to be sure you don't go over the EV cutoff point and kick in the engine, even you don't need it, as much as possible. what is your percent city versus highway driving usually?

Stopped for my first tank of gas in Tappahannock, VA on the way home from Williamsburg this morning.

Gallons: 11.563

Price/Gal: $3.259

Total Price: $37.68

Odometer: 501.1 miles

Fuel Economy: 43.3 mpg

Not bad for my first tank!  Lots of highway cruising at 62-65 mph, with some short spurts of 70-72.  Looking forward to a full tank of commuting.  Unfortunately, I'm going away for work this week, so poor Maxine will be in the company of many strangers at DCA's economy parking lot.  Hopefully I'll get a Ford rental, at least!

Third tank...heading in the right direction!

20130830_122113_zpse40b65d4.jpg

I was so deliciously close to the 600 Mile Club, but there were no gas stations where I was headed, so I just couldn't risk it.  However, with a solid week or two of just commutes to/from work, I should easily hit a 600-mile tank.

I LOVE this car!   :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...