Time to say "hello"

fbov

A month ago, we had a death in the family that resulted in an 10-month old C-max coming to live with us, starting last weekend. Yesterday was it's first fill-up under new ownership, today it's first drive to work. Most folks would think me daft to speak in this manner, but you all understand...

Backing into hybrid ownership is uncommon; folks either love them or hate them, while I'm ambivilant; been driving high mileage cars for years and had no expectation of a car that not only gets good mileage, but also has a working gas gauge, working speedo (without a "wack dash here" sticker), climate control that blows air out the right vents, a whole drivers' side door, and a tailgate that opens - get this - without using both hands!

Then I find out about law suits, folks getting great mileage, and the exact way the EPA works. I realize the PCM update us a great chance to compare before and after, and that I've got a commute that can be either all highway or all surface routes... I'm already trying to "get home without the ICE".

I think my wife has the right idea - it's a science project. Thanks to you all for providing the experimenter's handbook!

HAve fun,

Frank, who also likes the ride, handling, room, quiet and features, but hasn't been sync'ed.

Edited by fbov

Condolences to you and your family.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been reading a bit already. There is a wealth of information here about the Cmax, and some mighty fine people to go with it. 

I would suggest entering your vin at http://www.etis.ford.com/  to ensure you have all the latest updates. If you do not have the panoramic glass roof, you will most likely need the headliner fix done.

So sorry for your loss fbov. Glad to have you join us..........but sorry about the circumstances.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your wife has the right idea!! It IS a science project....you newest computer is a car!

We look forward to hearing your views and experiences with your new.....uh......addition?

I would suggest entering your vin at http://www.etis.ford.com/  to ensure you have all the latest updates. If you do not have the panoramic glass roof...

Been there, did that as soon as I had a VIN. 3 queued, including headliner, PCM and MFT. Part of my introduction to web-integrated car ownership; we'll see how integrated I want to be!

Condolences as well.  Certainly agree with you on the 'wack dash' reference (Prius et al), or as I call it the 'drive by committee' style dash.  Best of luck going forward.  Nick

I was speaking literally... the Volvo had an intermittent speedo, and so an intermittent odo, which becomes a problem if your gas gauge doesn't work... sometimes a little tap was all it needed, other times, it ignored me regardless the level of persuasion.

Sounds like your wife has the right idea!! It IS a science project....you newest computer is a car! We look forward to hearing your views and experiences with your new.....uh......addition?

Not far off on the "addition" part... we're empty nesters so we have room. Marj has already planned a trip to see our son in Baton Rouge in February...

You'll be SYNCed soon enuf, if u continue to hang around here. Always see the sunshine :)

Again, I was speaking literally... I don't plan to use MFT or Sync features of the car immediately if ever. However, of the C-max places I've found, this is the one I'll hang in...

More impressions...

- the advice to get rolling electric, run ICE at 2 bars and use brakes properly are giving me surface trips in the 50's for MPG right off the bat. Highways are a lost cause until the PCM update.

- in addition to watching the displays, you also have to watch the road...

- while a chubby 3600 lb. and tall 5'4", the C-max handles like a sports car, likely due to the weight being carried low in the chassis.

- it's a bit discomforting driving a sports car when your butt's not at axel level... but the car just doesn't roll in the corners!

- space and not just space, clean space. No junk collected (yet).

- good seats, at least in front, and that's by comparison with Volvo, who use springs in the rear seats, too.

- neat steering wheel adjustment range; couldn't get hips and shoulders comfortable without pulling the wheel way out from the dash

The best part is the wife's agreed to a set of snows, which will be tall and narrow compared with the 225/50-17's, and likely on 15" wheels...

HAve fun,

Frank

PS I appreciate all the condolences. I call this car Porter (and I don't name my cars) in honor of the original owner. It was he that first mentioned the "science project" but in reference to an HD spy-cam he had in the back seat. His was a life well lived that he ended in dignity; not much more one can ask for.

My son moved to Baton Rouge at the end of June for a new job. Great timing as he drove through a few days before my FIL went in for surgery and they were able to visit for a bit. We'll be visiting him this winter; as I said, Marj already made plans... inclulding a load of furniture out of her parents' house. Right now, he's enjoying La from a lawn chair...

When he's ready for a new car, I'm thinking of suggesting the Fusion version of this hybrid drive train... should be even more fun to drive!

Have fun,

Frank

Have enjoyed your impressions Frank.  Yes the C-Max seems a tight ride for the weight. If only the drivers door armrest 'fit' better.  Gave up our Volvo 240 a couple years ago with 300k+ and going very strong, wish I had it for a back-up now (a better junker than our BMW).  (Thought Volvos had infallible (VDO?) gauges)  Could not resist the opp. to trash the Prius dash, I dislike it so.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

Thanks. I find my left elbow, specifically a home for it, is one of my most common complaints in rental cars... not here.

Of course, much of the credit goes to the range of motion on the steering cluster adjustment. Have you tried the full range of motion; in-out surprised me? Get more/less bend at the elbow and perhaps you'll be more comfortable.

HAve fun,

Frank