Puppies

spyburn

So I live on a small farm and our neighbor trades off with us taking care of each other's animals when we go out of town.  Every time he goes out of town, something unexpected happens - injuries, births, floods, lightning strikes, etc.  So when he went out of town this week and said, "Not to worry, the dog isn't due to give birth for another week or so," we said to ourselves....yeah right.

So vet on speed dial...check

Canvas back in place in the CMAX....check

Old towels in CMax in case we need to rush the dog to the vet.....check

Emergency vet kit in the CMax....check

Sure enough.....puppies! A week early.  Fortunately, mother and pups (all 7!) are fine and we did not have to turn the CMax into a canine ambulance.  I guess the CMax will have to wait for the next animal crisis to be pressed into service this way.  My last new car was christened running a sick bull calf to the emergency vet shortly after I got it!

post-950-0-04607700-1378516317_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-16883000-1378516335_thumb.jpg

The mom is indeed a boxer.  The dog was bred intentionally to another boxer, so I was kind of surprised at the all white ones myself.  5 are white or white with brown spots and 2 are brown with white rings around their collar area.  This morning we found she had packed up the puppies and moved them all into her dog house.  She's licking and cleaning them all the time and she had them in a dirt filled hole she dug....guess she got tired of licking dirt!

The owners will be back tonight so I'm going to have to manufacture excuses to visit the puppies every couple of days, because Adair is right...puppies are the best medicine!!

We have a, nearly, three-year-old female boxer that we got when she was only 8 weeks old. She is the sweetest and orneriest dog I have ever met and we wouldn't trade her for any other dog.

My brother was visiting from out of state last week and brought his two puppies. They had their first birthday while visiting us but they're already 175 and 150 pounds and 30+ inches tall...Irish Wolfhounds! They were afraid of our high-energy little girl. LOL