Only 1000 sold in Canada in the last 14 months

Laurel

I was looking around on the internet to try to find out when Canadian C-Max owners will get our rebate cheques.  No information on that other than we will be getting $895 and the fact that there have only been 1000 C-Maxes sold since July 2012.  We have 10 provinces and 2 territories so that explains why we have only seen one other C-Max in the wild since buying ours.  1000 sure is a small number eh?  I was shocked.  I love our C-Max, but II still think that we bought an Edsel LOL. I see on the Canadian dealer inventory all of the 2013's are marked down about $3,000 from when we bought.  I will remain happy as long it continues to run well.

Zhack I think it is going to take a hockey stick!  Yes, we see Prius's all over the place.  Tons of Prius taxi cabs and even the Prius V taxis  all over the place.  Yes I see lots of Fusions, but not so much the Fusion Hybrid, and of course lots of Ford pickup trucks.  I think it all comes down to lack of advertising.  None zip!  Recently one Ford dealer has a C-Max in his ads for employee discounts, but that is actually the first newspaper ad we have seen for the C-Max.  My husband comments about the lack of advertising all the time.  We have had a couple of people ask about our car--wondering what it is as they have never heard of it.  Gotta wonder why they aren't advertising here.

OK Laurel, that's it, next time we are in your neighborhood we are driving every block waving out every window!   :bliss:  :bliss:    I really hoped we would stumble into you on our last trip :sad: .  We saw at least three C-Maxes the weekend we were there in August, if I recall.  We jaunted into the big V for an afternoon, which accounted for perhaps two of the sightings.    Nick & Karin

Edited by C-MaxSea

I don't know the official name, but I call it the mea culpa mileage rebate.  In Canada we will get $895 from Ford Canada because the 4.2 or 4.7 (can't remember which) mileage was not a reality.  So they are giving us money to ease the pain.  I'm not sure why we are getting more than the owner's in the States, but maybe because the mileage claims were more outrageous or our gas prices are so high?

Hey Nick and Karin I think you two are going to have to come and have coffee with us the next time you are here.  That may be our only chance to see a C-Max other than our own LOL.  We will be expecting you next time you are up--just pm me before and I will give you our address and phone number.  We are close to Morgan Creek golf course --sort of mid way between White Rock beach and Crescent Beach.

Zhack I think it is going to take a hockey stick!  Yes, we see Prius's all over the place.  Tons of Prius taxi cabs and even the Prius V taxis  all over the place.  Yes I see lots of Fusions, but not so much the Fusion Hybrid, and of course lots of Ford pickup trucks.  I think it all comes down to lack of advertising.  None zip!  Recently one Ford dealer has a C-Max in his ads for employee discounts, but that is actually the first newspaper ad we have seen for the C-Max.  My husband comments about the lack of advertising all the time.  We have had a couple of people ask about our car--wondering what it is as they have never heard of it.  Gotta wonder why they aren't advertising here.

Honey, they aren't advertising ANYWHERE that I've seen! We had the La Linea ads here in MI last fall, but I've seen nothing since then. Hell, there is more advertising for the C-MAX on this forum than in the media!

Adair I find it all so puzzling.  We have lovely cars that are unique.  I talk mine up all the time.  An older couple was asking me about it the other day.  The fellow had a stroke and I pointed out how easy it is to get in and out without whacking your head and how you can pull a wheelchair up close because the door opens wide and how high you are seated.  They were impressed and said they had never heard of the C-Max, but would go look at one and try it.

My (uninformed) opinion/guess about the lack of advertising is that Ford didn't want to hype the car until it had some experience in the real world, which is why they invited owners to the Irvine pow-wow. I believe they wanted to get input to upgrade and improve the C-Max before they made an all out advertising blitz for the 2014 model.  Just a guess -- we'll see if this is right in a couple months.

My (uninformed) opinion/guess about the lack of advertising is that Ford didn't want to hype the car until it had some experience in the real world, which is why they invited owners to the Irvine pow-wow. I believe they wanted to get input to upgrade and improve the C-Max before they made an all out advertising blitz for the 2014 model.  Just a guess -- we'll see if this is right in a couple months.

Well, that would make sense, Ron. At least I hope that's it.

Adair I find it all so puzzling.  We have lovely cars that are unique.  I talk mine up all the time.  An older couple was asking me about it the other day.  The fellow had a stroke and I pointed out how easy it is to get in and out without whacking your head and how you can pull a wheelchair up close because the door opens wide and how high you are seated.  They were impressed and said they had never heard of the C-Max, but would go look at one and try it.

Me too, Laurel. I love to talk about my car, to any poor soul who asks.

I thought they did a nice job with the Hybrid Game ads that they have on the C-Max website. I'm surprised they went with the stupid "wheee" ads over the Hybrid Game ones for TV. Maybe they didn't want to deal with the grumblings of Prius fans too much?

I wonder if Ford decided to forgo marketing their Hybrids due to the cold climate. 

I thought they did a nice job with the Hybrid Game ads that they have on the C-Max website. I'm surprised they went with the stupid "wheee" ads over the Hybrid Game ones for TV. Maybe they didn't want to deal with the grumblings of Prius fans too much?

I wonder if Ford decided to forgo marketing their Hybrids due to the cold climate. 

I live in a very mild climate (Canada is like the States with climates that differ from what part you live in) and this area is pretty much a clone of Seattle weather but maybe a little milder.  So I don't believe climate has been a factor.  I will tend to go with Ron's thoughts.  2013 was the test and the marketing blitz will happen in 2014 once all the kinks are out. That makes a lot of sense to me. Because I found it bizarre to see C-Maxes sitting on dealer lots for months here --unbought and unadvertised.

I can't speak to unsold inventory on dealer lots (maybe 47MPG hangover, real or imagined (the latter reducing advertising in fear of backlash, etc.), but...

Hybrids use some fairly advanced materials technology, and there may be limits on the supply/cost of some of those materials. Specifically, I design and build loudspeakers. Lots of new drivers appeared on the market a few years ago using a new, high-strength magnets made with Neodymium. Great reductions in size and weight, without reduction in magnetic field strength. Fast forward a few years to the era when the major producer of neodymium (China) increases their domestic industrial needs, reducing export allocations. Sudden price increases follow.

Ford manages their critical commodities very closely, matching production plans to delivery schedules like any JIT factory. They may not be playing-up the C-Max because they can only make so many (dealer inventory notwithstanding).

Have fun,

Frnak

PS, per the link... "The electric motors of each Toyota Prius require 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of neodymium..."

Edited by fbov

I agree with Ron & Frank; for a variety of reasons, a slow & steady release of a new hybrid line.  I think they have their hands full in spite of minimal advertising.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2013/0910/Ford-C-Max-sales-unhurt-by-fuel-economy-flub

"Ford was also keen to note that nearly two-thirds of C-Max hybrid sales came from conquest buyers, with the Toyota Prius being one of the top trade-ins."

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Hey Nick and Karin I think you two are going to have to come and have coffee with us the next time you are here.  That may be our only chance to see a C-Max other than our own LOL.  We will be expecting you next time you are up--just pm me before and I will give you our address and phone number.  We are close to Morgan Creek golf course --sort of mid way between White Rock beach and Crescent Beach.

I'm near 24 & 176. I'm sure I'll see you around! :-)