Lest We Forget

Laurel

"In Flanders Fields"

Written in by John McCrae (1915)

After witnessing the carnage of WWI John McCrae wrote "In Flanders Fields." McCrae, a Canadian, was a medical officer in the Boer War and World War I.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Thank you Laurel for remembering it is Veterans Day.

Whilst we all drive our CMaxs and take for granted the enjoyment of freedom, how the world would now look if not for the courage, sacrifice of those who served in the armed forces throughout the world. Whether you are in the Marines, Army, Air Force, Navy, ANZACS, Canadian, Gurkhas....today is their day to remember and have a drink with their mates at the pub.

Whilst we may all agree that we disagree on the politics, you cannot, you cannot forget the vets who gave you what you now take for granted.

Lest we forget.

Poppy day :)

Yep, we also have ANZAC day in Aus as well, April 25....the Australian New Zealand Army Corp.

I keep few books in my house and rarely remember them and I am glad, I read All Quiet on the Western Front when I was young and that my school actually taught me about WW1. War Horse is another great movie as well and it just saddens me the world has not changed and there is still evil in this world to be vigilant againt.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about various victories and horrible defeats over the generations.  They talked about Sulva Bay in 1915 and it made me cry hearing about the horrors that the troops experienced in that battle. I think about 250,000 allied troops died.  Can you imagine the magnitude of that many young men losing their lives in that era? Just horrible.

On a positive note, my parents met during World War II in India.  They were part of the China, Burma, India Regiment.  My mom was a Canadian nurse who enlisted in the US Army and my dad was an infantryman from Maryland.  They met in India about a month before the war ended and agreed to marry if they both were at a certain spot in New York City on January 1st of that year.  They were both were there on that day--so two strangers married and lived a very strange life together thereafter.

PS on a side note, if someone here did a "man on the street" video tape and asked them "Do you think it would be fun to have mustard gas on your hot dog?" 99 out of 100 would think it would be so. They have no idea what mustard gas is. Mustard=good. Mustard gas=Sounds good on a hot dog....but I could be wrong, since the man on the street is extremely intelligent and make great choices. Jimmy Kimmel anyone?

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

On a positive note, my parents met during World War II in India.  They were part of the China, Burma, India Regiment.  My mom was a Canadian nurse who enlisted in the US Army and my dad was an infantryman from Maryland.  They met in India about a month before the war ended and agreed to marry if they both were at a certain spot in New York City on January 1st of that year.  They were both were there on that day--so two strangers married and lived a very strange life together thereafter.

Laurel -

Reading your wonderful piece of family history reminded me of this famous photo:

post-383-0-46400900-1384199251_thumb.jpg

Putting a C-Max term to a different use, what was their "sweet spot" (meeting place) in NYC?

So how did you end up on that side of the border, better water ;)  I :flirt:  the story and the fact that is was FACT makes it more sweet....should be made into a movie, we could do with more stories such as these instead of 5th version of Terminator :drop:

My dad was a handsome Irishman type who was full of blarney.  He had a grade 6 education but had dreams that he was a Donald Trump.  My mom was a fairly prim woman from an established Vancouver family.  Mom had her nursing diploma plus a degree in 16th century French Literature.  My parents were like oil and vinegar in the area of intellectual compatibility, but I think that stayed together due to sexual chemistry LOL.  My mom followed my dad around moving us from pillar to post all over the States as my dad tried one job after another (most lasting less than 3 months).  We were always broke and one step ahead of the car finance companies.  We picked cotton, tomatoes, apples, and dad worked an illegal still in the back woods of Virginia and was the head chef at Little America, Wyoming LOL.  He was a Walter Mitty type of guy. Finally she gave the ultimatum that we were heading to her home so we landed up in Vancouver.  Short version of our nomadic lives.

You all must have some stories of your weird lives too??  I can't be the only oddball.

Edited by Laurel

Laurel, that would be love that kept them together. She's lucky she found him again, as too many of us make the "smart" choice, not the "right" choice. You would be a very different person had you not had that Walter Mitty upbringing. We're all who we're supposed to be, regardless how we feel about that...

And I'd not read Flanders Field before... thanks for the opportunity!

Frnak

Laurel -

Reading your wonderful piece of family history reminded me of this famous photo:

attachicon.gifnycphoto.jpgt

Putting a C-Max term to a different use, what was their "sweet spot" (meeting place) in NYC?

Dave I honestly don't remember their meeting place for sure, but I think it was a train station.  Your photo did remind me of the all the photos of my parents during the war.

• 3 weeks later...