Cold weather affects Fuel Mileage

fotomoto

Here's a recent thread from a Prius forum:

"I expected the mileage to fall in the winter but was not expecting this large of drop. Also wind + cold is even worse. I bought my car new and the first couple of tanks were actual 50 mpg for combo city & hwy. Now winter is here plus short trip across town, shut it off, back across town, shut it off with very little highway driving and it dropped to 38mpg. Now this tank with 70 miles on it is showing on the dash as 35.7 with temps 10-20 df. My old Honda Accord V-6 would be down to 18-19 mpg for the same trips and weather but I just didn't think the Prius would drop from 50mpg into the 30's. Hopefully when summer returns & the gas formula is changed to summer fuel my 50 mpg will appear again."

and from a Volt board:

After a couple charges, I'm noticing a disturbing trend. It seems I'm only getting 20-30 miles per charge, which is far short of the advertised 40 miles - which is what everyone else seems to be getting. My commute is 10 miles, city driving mostly, averaging about 30mph - fairly heavy traffic, mostly flat and no big hills. I live in Seattle, and the weather has been in the mid-40's lately. I keep the heat off, make sure my climate efficiency is always under 10%. When I drive, I make sure the green ball stays dead in the center - brake slowly (mostly allow regen to slow vehicle), accelerate slowly and smoothly, etc.

Even more disconcerting is that when my gas engine kicked in yesterday, I drove 6 miles on the ICE and used 0.26 gallons of gas! This would equate to 24mpg, which is far below the advertised 36mpg.  Is there something wrong with my car? Perhaps with the battery? Should I take it in to the dealer?

So when your AVG. meter keeps dropping like a stone, remember you're not the only one!  Physics/temperatures affect all vehicles.  

Edited by fotomoto

Here's a recent thread from a Prius forum:

"I expected the mileage to fall in the winter but was not expecting this large of drop. Also wind + cold is even worse. I bought my car new and the first couple of tanks were actual 50 mpg for combo city & hwy. Now winter is here plus short trip across town, shut it off, back across town, shut it off with very little highway driving and it dropped to 38mpg. Now this tank with 70 miles on it is showing on the dash as 35.7 with temps 10-20 df. My old Honda Accord V-6 would be down to 18-19 mpg for the same trips and weather but I just didn't think the Prius would drop from 50mpg into the 30's. Hopefully when summer returns & the gas formula is changed to summer fuel my 50 mpg will appear again."

and from a Volt board:

After a couple charges, I'm noticing a disturbing trend. It seems I'm only getting 20-30 miles per charge, which is far short of the advertised 40 miles - which is what everyone else seems to be getting. My commute is 10 miles, city driving mostly, averaging about 30mph - fairly heavy traffic, mostly flat and no big hills. I live in Seattle, and the weather has been in the mid-40's lately. I keep the heat off, make sure my climate efficiency is always under 10%. When I drive, I make sure the green ball stays dead in the center - brake slowly (mostly allow regen to slow vehicle), accelerate slowly and smoothly, etc.

Even more disconcerting is that when my gas engine kicked in yesterday, I drove 6 miles on the ICE and used 0.26 gallons of gas! This would equate to 24mpg, which is far below the advertised 36mpg.  Is there something wrong with my car? Perhaps with the battery? Should I take it in to the dealer?

So when your AVG. meter keeps dropping like a stone, remember you're not the only one!  Physics/temperatures affect all vehicles.  

Or you could be putting Grill Covers on your CMAX! LOL :lol: I though Volt's didn't have regen?

Paul

Edited by ptjones