Ford eNews – Oct. 17, 2012

Thats a pretty good number for the Energi, even if you down-rate it a bit for real world driving, but the numbers don't add up if you take the EPA estimates literally. The EPA says it will get 92mpg on the highway, and it has a 14 gal tank according to the manual (p348) so that should be a range of 1288mi! I suspect however that the real world mpg on a road trip without any stops to re-charge will be closer to the hybrid after the battery is discharged since there is only so much charge that will go back in from re-gen. I got almost 500mi on my first tank in the Hybrid, which is below the EPA measure, but even that will improve, if it were to get 47mpg consistently on the highway, the range could be over 630mi (47mpg x13.5gal) - my mileage on the first mini road trip was 40mpg average so that is still a respectable 540mi range - and that was out and back through some mountains so not the best case.

It's cool that the Energi has a really good road trip range, but it's bigger strength would be a car for commuting anyway since it will get incredible fuel economy for a commute to work within it's EV range if it is juiced up beforehand.