Cambridge MA

Hybrid dude

Hi all-

We had decided years ago our next vehicle was going to be a hybrid and assumed it would be a Prius but luckily our timing was right and the C-Max hybrid was just beginning to be sold, so we test drove one and bought the most basic model SE on Oct. 1 off the lot, apparently at that time one of eighteen sold in New England.

Almost finished with our second tank, about 950 miles of mostly city and about 100 hwy miles, 40mpg average.

I would have liked to have had power and heated seats, fog lights and push-button start but in order to get those features as you know, one must choose the SEL model and be forced to have leather, which we did not want. Removing the leather after the fact was also not a choice.

I've since learned the inability to pick and choose options seems to be a common complaint among Ford owners but corporate does nothing to remedy that situation and continues to group most options into packages. I do realize there are a few individual options, though.

Is anyone tech-savvy enough to know if, for example, one purchased all the components involved for foglights, one could make them work? The BCM (body control module) is identical across all models. My dealer service manager found two 'no' answers to this question, which is rather disappointing.

Thanks

I'd wait a bit until more are out there and check back to see if the fog light parts are available then -- I know with other makes and models sometimes this occurs where the fog light 'kit' is actually the same with the only exception being the plastic surround that's unique to a particular model (we also own a VW Routan where only the top model comes with fogs and you can buy these from Chrysler); as far as the heated seats, it turns out that you can indeed order them for SE's in a package (cloth seats; add the 'winter package' that includes: 'Heated mirrors with integrated side indicators and puddle lamps; Heated cloth seats') for $295. The dealer where they had C-Max's in stock said any specific orders for cars with different colors and/or options should take about 6 to 8 weeks; as we've owned a cloth seated car that had heated seats we can attest to the fact that they're typically warmer than the leather ones.

Edited by redEV

Thanks for the info. I've begun a discussion of this subject in the Lights, etc forum on this site.

Yes, there might be a kit down the road but at this point, Ford customer service said there wasn't/wouldn't be one. The difficulty is that in addition to the lights, grills, switch and wiring jumper harness as it's called, it seems there is a different BCM (Body Control Module). One could say, well, just buy the different BCM but, again, what I've learned from posting these questions on other forums is that BCMs are coded to VINs and somehow you'd have to fool the BCM into thinking it was in a different vehicle. I have seen kits for versions of the Ford F-150 which actually include a replacement BCM, so maybe not too far fetched an idea. I could go old school and just wire it to the battery with a relay but I've been advised not to for safety/warranty reasons. I didn't think a request for fogs would become such a complicated issue but it seems to be just that.

Yes, I wish I could have at least had the winter package but we needed to replace our totaled Volvo (nobody hurt) right away from dealer stock and the closest model with our chosen colors which had the winter package was 500 miles away.

Thanks for the info. I've begun a discussion of this subject in the Lights, etc forum on this site.

Yes, there might be a kit down the road but at this point, Ford customer service said there wasn't/wouldn't be one. The difficulty is that in addition to the lights, grills, switch and wiring jumper harness as it's called, it seems there is a different BCM (Body Control Module). One could say, well, just buy the different BCM but, again, what I've learned from posting these questions on other forums is that BCMs are coded to VINs and somehow you'd have to fool the BCM into thinking it was in a different vehicle. I have seen kits for versions of the Ford F-150 which actually include a replacement BCM, so maybe not too far fetched an idea. I could go old school and just wire it to the battery with a relay but I've been advised not to for safety/warranty reasons. I didn't think a request for fogs would become such a complicated issue but it seems to be just that.

Yes, I wish I could have at least had the winter package but we needed to replace our totaled Volvo (nobody hurt) right away from dealer stock and the closest model with our chosen colors which had the winter package was 500 miles away.

First congratulations on the new C-max, I also bought the SE, but would have liked to get the heated (cloth) seats and mirrors, but nothing else on the SEL was necessary for me.

I should probably post this in the other thread, but did Ford say that the BCM was different on the SE vs SEL? I find that surprising if true since there are only a handful of extras that it would support for the additional cost of two different modules.

Edited by CNCGeek

I've heard that hybrids don't get nearl as good mileage in the cold climates during winter as they do in the summer. Is it getting cold enough in CT yet for you to tell a difference? I am moving from San Jose to Indianapolis this winter and am curious about the impact.