In praise of my C-MAX in the snow

Adair

Since my previous car was a Subaru, the best I can say about the CMax in the snow is that it's capable, but it's certainly not confident. It'll get the job done, and if your previous car couldn't, then I can understand being impressed with this one. But as a word to wise for anyone who already has a car that tramples through snow like a beast, you should know that buying a CMax is going to require some serious adjustments to your driving style.

For example, in the Subaru, whether it was snowing, or how much it had snowed, had no bearing on whether I left my house. If I needed something, I went and got it, because I could, and it wasn't even difficult. With the CMax, if the snow is fresh and deep enough, and the plows haven't been by recently enough, I really have to ask, "Are we sure there's nothing in the house to eat?" and/or "How important is attending that party, really?"

Again, I can leave the house in the snow if I need to, but I just don't want to. Driving a CMax in the snow is difficult, whereas driving a Subaru in the snow had been like, "What snow?"

• 7 months later...

Ok, its getting close to that season. Living in the South (North GA), it snows, melts, and then freezes. Sometimes there is a snow layer on top of the ice, and sometimes not.

The idea for road maintenance is to just let the ice melt off, and everyone stay home. Being native I've never driven in Ice and Snow, but would like to know that I might have a
fighting chance if I had to in a emergency. I know I've attempted in a Impala 2001, but all I did was spin.

So the big question is, how dose the C-Max handle on Ice???

Ice is ice. Nothing short of chains helps, especially in North Georgia, with hilly terrain, and long shadows cast by the trees. Hint: always look out for pine trees alongside the road, chances are higher that their shadow will allow the ice/snow to remain longer than other parts of the road that receive the sun. If you have to drive, try to maintain momentum and avoid starts and stops. When a stop is inevitable, allow 3-4 times the distance and time to safely stop. As you wrote, the best thing to do is stay off the roads until they are clear - no matter how safely you drive, you're still going to get hit by someone who isn't driving safely.

• 3 months later...