Southern C-Max joined!

Alex Sams

I bought this for my wife to replace her aged 02 Windstar. After much debate, I decided the only logical thing to do was spend the extra money to get something that would get great fuel economy. I didn't see the sense in getting something like a Mazda5 that would get marginally better fuel economy on her mostly in-town travels. I also liked that the C-Max has a VIN that starts with 1! Now if we get rid of the Windstar, all our vehicles will be made in the US by a US manufacturer! 

We first looked at a 2013 C-Max SE with 3k miles on it, and she loved it. It was red. We looked at it on Christmas weekend, and didn't buy then. The dealer sold that car 2 days later before I could get back. The wife was mad at me. Then I explained that we'd just have to find something better, and that car didn't come with the extra goodies that we'd probably want anyway.

Then I found (3 hours away) the black SEL that we have now. It has the 303 package, and the glass roof. We have everything but floor mats! I like the way it beeps when we pull too close to something in the front, side, or back. 

I love the acceleration. I know.. it's a hybrid. We're supposed to drive conservatively. Going from a 18 mpg van to a 36 mpg+ hybrid is ok with me if we floor it once in a while. This thing is completely nuts on acceleration as compared to a Prius. I love how easy it is to get in and out of our hectic and inconsiderate drivers in Memphis. I'm really curious to see how well the wife manages fuel economy on her trip back and forth to work once it heats up. The past couple of days with temps in the single digits and never higher than 20- she's getting 35mpg. 

010520141178_zpsa288b209.jpgcmax_zps30716fd6.jpg

I look forward to learning about this car from all of your experiences! This is the first car I've owned that I can't work on... yet. 

Welcome to our CMax community Alex & family and :congrats:  on the Black SEL. I think you may appreciate the refinements of the SEL a wee bit better than the SEm jus sayin'

As a quick start, take a look at some of the links in my sig - gives you some nice tips about the CMax to help you establish your hybrid driving habits.

Enjoy the forum and post any Questions you may have...we have a TON of knowledgeable folks here :rockon:

Great choice, great attitude Alex, 303 rocks. Love the doubling of gas mileage.  You will be able to get into the modding and challenging yourself to some 500, 600, 700 mile tanks with ease (if you are allowed to drive it - HA)!!!  Tinting seems to be the key add-on for a dark color car.  Hope both you and your wife the best with the new C-Max - enjoy!  Nick 

Edited by C-MaxSea

Welcome aboard! 

Since you mentioned it, and in an abundance of caution, I recall reading that you should not get the Panoramic Roof tinted.  When you mentioned the roof and tinting in the same post, I couldn't tell if you meant tinting just the other windows, or if you meant all plus the Pano Roof.

Enjoy your new C-MAX!

I bought this for my wife to replace her aged 02 Windstar. After much debate, I decided the only logical thing to do was spend the extra money to get something that would get great fuel economy. I didn't see the sense in getting something like a Mazda5 that would get marginally better fuel economy on her mostly in-town travels. I also liked that the C-Max has a VIN that starts with 1! Now if we get rid of the Windstar, all our vehicles will be made in the US by a US manufacturer! 

We first looked at a 2013 C-Max SE with 3k miles on it, and she loved it. It was red. We looked at it on Christmas weekend, and didn't buy then. The dealer sold that car 2 days later before I could get back. The wife was mad at me. Then I explained that we'd just have to find something better, and that car didn't come with the extra goodies that we'd probably want anyway.

Then I found (3 hours away) the black SEL that we have now. It has the 303 package, and the glass roof. We have everything but floor mats! I like the way it beeps when we pull too close to something in the front, side, or back. 

I love the acceleration. I know.. it's a hybrid. We're supposed to drive conservatively. Going from a 18 mpg van to a 36 mpg+ hybrid is ok with me if we floor it once in a while. This thing is completely nuts on acceleration as compared to a Prius. I love how easy it is to get in and out of our hectic and inconsiderate drivers in Memphis. I'm really curious to see how well the wife manages fuel economy on her trip back and forth to work once it heats up. The past couple of days with temps in the single digits and never higher than 20- she's getting 35mpg. 

010520141178_zpsa288b209.jpgcmax_zps30716fd6.jpg

I look forward to learning about this car from all of your experiences! This is the first car I've owned that I can't work on... yet. 

Welcome!  I just drove through Tennessee a few days ago and drove through Memphis.  Unfortunately, didn't see any other C-Maxes out on the road in that state.  Glad to know there is at least 1 there now  :yahoo:

... Then I found (3 hours away) the black SEL that we have now. It has the 303 package, and the glass roof. We have everything but floor mats! I like the way it beeps when we pull too close to something in the front, side, or back. 

I love the acceleration. I know.. it's a hybrid. We're supposed to drive conservatively. Going from a 18 mpg van to a 36 mpg+ hybrid is ok with me if we floor it once in a while. This thing is completely nuts on acceleration as compared to a Prius. I love how easy it is to get in and out of our hectic and inconsiderate drivers in Memphis. I'm really curious to see how well the wife manages fuel economy on her trip back and forth to work once it heats up. The past couple of days with temps in the single digits and never higher than 20- she's getting 35mpg. ...

Congrats, Alex! Let me know if you have any questions or concerns I can help you with. :)

Ashley

I recall reading that you should not get the Panoramic Roof tinted.  

I'll read up on that and quiz FCS about it. There might be some factory UV tinting on there, but I'm positive there's no spectrally inclusive or tint with any solar heat rejection. There could be a number of reasons why it's not suggested that the pano roof be tinted. Metallic infused tints- which is most quality window tint- reduce transmissions of things like cellular and GPS. A much more expensive ceramic based tint would not have those particular issues. 

I live in the south. We have lots of sun, and so sunlight increasing AC usage during the hot part of the summer is a concern. I wouldn't tint it dark because my daughter likes it. I'm looking more for the expensive tints that don't darken glass as much but reflect solar heat and infrared as well as UV. The same goes for the sides, but I might tint those as dark as TN allows which is 30%, but use a better tint.