Mercedes has the Lowest “Recall Rate” Ford Ranks 9th out of 15

If all of the recent car recall news has you concerned about your current or future vehicle, then you may be wondering how automakers compare against each other in their recall history. 

Here's a recent study of NHTSA safety recalls going back 30 years.  Ford ranks 9th as shown below.  My C-Max has had two safety recalls: 1) no audible chime when the vehicle is operational and the driver's door is opened and 2) vehicle exceeded a head injury criteria requirement.

med_gallery_167_32_78408.jpg

Having owned 2 MERCEDES recently they are scary expensive to maintain, $250 for an oil change and inspection vs  $35 at FORD. We don't even want to talk about Parts.  :drop:  :rant2:  :gaah:  FORD"s are much cheaper to own! IMO

Paul

PS Wife corrected me: Service A and Service B ranged on GL350cdi from $350 to $500 at dealer. She found an independent foreign service shop that charged her $180 for an oil change - she purchased genuine MB parts on eBay for far less then dealer charged. Her GL had no oil drain plug so not an easy thing to do on your own. Had to replace rear shocks and dealer quoted over $3,000 - she found shocks from a dealer in Florida and saved about $1,200!

Edited by ptjones

• 3 weeks later...

GM is ranked 3rd. That alone should tell you enough about using this list as a metric for reliability and quality (and safety!). The fact that Mercedes is ranked first makes my bullshit detector go off the scale given that statistically Diamler makes the most unreliable and expensive to own cars you can buy from major automakers.