Do Bumpy Roads Hurt Mileage?

SnowStorm

Now that we've exhausted every other MPG topic (speed, temperature, rain, snow( :)), wind, altitude, break-in, tire pressure, tread depth, aero mods, P&G, acceleration & breaking techniques ad nauseum, best route, EV+, weight, gas, oil, look ahead / plan ahead, drafting, hand position on steering wheel, aliens, etc,), maybe its time to consider bumpy roads!  Ever try to bounce your car up and down to check shocks?  Not very easy.  Now think of that happening non-stop as you drive - the energy has to come from somewhere.  Agree?  I wonder if it could be significant in that rarefied 60+ MPG world some of you enjoy.  Does anyone have parallel smooth/bumpy roads to compare?  Maybe an old road along an Interstate?

(P.S.  SnowStorm hopes for more buy-in on this topic than Can Hills Save Gas?!  Still say they can!)

Yep, Sheldon use to be the most bumpiest, pot hole filled road due to the road being in an industrial area. Going thru this area I know I had to use more EV. However, 2 weeks ago, the whole road was repaved - wallah - I didn't even know this road had a slope jus because I had to use so much EV before, now its one NICE glide section.Oh, Los Angeles is full of streets with pot holes and no wonder why...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/05/20/cbs2-investigation-some-repair-crews-not-in-a-hurry-to-fix-city-streets/

Busted. And you wonder why the recent Mayor Eric Garcia wants to now impose another 0.25% city sales tax to pay these crew to slack off. Far out, we are so screwed in this city & state.

Well, energy is energy, and if you heat up your shocks on a bumpy road, that energy has to come from your fuel tank eventually...

I find it hard to feather the throttle on bumpy roads. It'll frequently hit a bump and find the power draw spiked enough to turn on ICE. Given that fuel consumption improves when you stay in EV-mode longer, bumps hurt both ways...

Have fun,

Frank