New to the forum, just bought a 2014 ford cmax,

Mildred Teague

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new CMax

You have the regular CMax Hyrbid. The one that you plug in is called the Energi, which is more money and has less cargo space in the back and has an "Energi" logo on the rear hatch.

the Hybrid is great is you drive both city and highway mostly between 25-55 mph.

The Energi is for folks that dont drive much or very far and stay around town and drive usually less than 35 mph.

Yes the Hybrid uses the brakes to recharge the battery. Setup your dash so your coach is turned ON so you can see how you are doing for braking, accelerating and driving so you get the most miles per gallon.

if you keep your distance and allow more space and time the lights so you dont have to jam on the brakes, you can slowly and lightly press down the brakes evenly and constantly until you slowly come to a full stop and that is how you get the most charge each time you brake.

try to get 85-100% braking scores.

if you are getting low braking scores yuou arent recovering that much potential energy from the regen brakes,

Remember, the first 80% of your brakes are not the rotors and pads, its the regen brakes so use those the most if you can.

the last 10-15% of the brake pressing is the read pads/rotors where you are actually putting parts to parts (metal to pads) which is not the part you get the recharging from,

Read your manual all the way thru

there is a LOT of info here in many many forums.

so many helpful people you will learn a lot

be patient but you dont have to do anything special to get great MPGs from your CMax. there are tricks and tips to get even more than the EPA rating but dont worry its a lot more than normal cars so just enjoy it the first few months.

it will take longer to break in this car since the engine turns on and offwhen you are at a stop sign/light to save gas so its not running as much

I would say the two most important posts/topics to read would be these from user Jus-A-Cmax which has a lot of good info

you may not understand it all but read it over and over and then ask questions

see links here:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1751-jus-another-cmax-review/

and this one:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2599-my-2c-ev-driving/

Once again enjoy your Cmax

Welcome to the best car club ever

Edited by salsaguy

Mildread

this guy at Youtube has a lot of great videos where he tests the CMax and gives insights on best driving techniques

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLi9gQ_tmRw71LwJhY_UmzA

search his many videos for the ones related to the CMax

here are a few of them:

here is the link to view all 5 of them:

or indivual links here:

and here is his write up/review:

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2012/12/27/2013-ford-c-max-sel-hybrid-review/

Edited by salsaguy

I would like all the information I can get on my new car! I am a senior citizen, and don't understand things the way I use to! I don't understand if my car has to be plugged in to charge, or how does it work! Our salesman told us, it recharges with the brakes!

Welcome to the forum, Mildred.

I work for Ford and I'm here to help with any questions or concerns you might have. It seems like these forum members are helping you out with the questions you've had so far, but if you need anything, just let me know!

Ashley

I would like all the information I can get on my new car! I am a senior citizen, and don't understand things the way I use to!

Welcome, Mildred! I hope you find us helpful as you learn your new car.

Just be aware that you really don't NEED to learn much to use the vehicle. We inherited ours from my Father-in-law, who was well past 80 when traded in his Ford and his wife's Prius for it. Two stories are apporpriate to your situation.

Porter was not electronically inclined. His wife was the Facebook/internet/e-mail person in the family, not Porter, and she predeceased him by 18 months. When he wanted destinations programmed into the GPS, he took his address list to the dealer and had them enter the destinations so all he had to do was pick the one he wanted. The technician was surprised that an old guy in a walker would be traveling to that many destinations, but he did.

The reason we know he drove alot is the walker. It was the rolling kind with a seat, I think having a seat was the real reason he pushed the thing around, but he used it everywhere he went. It traveled in the back seat, behind the driver. Getting it stowed was a chore, as he couldn't lift it very well, so he shoved it up the door frame and onto the seat. We know this because there were hundreds of chips in the paint below the edge of the back seat where it hit on its way in and out...  

That said, this car has a ton of technology - my wife calls it my "science project" - and if you want to learn about it all, you've come to the right place. Just remember that the important thing is to enjoy the car!

HAve fun,

Frank

Welcome Mildred, you'll :flirt:  the car. My top most suggestion is for the first 2 tanks, just drive it like your previous car. This will tune you to the sound of the CMax (or lack there of) and the way the CMax drives & corners. It also gives you time to read the many posts here and get your MPG juice flowing.

I will say this: the CMax will reward those who pay careful attention to the road and how they manage the internal combustion engine (ICE) and the electric (EV) engine. While seemless, there are times to switch from ICE to EV at the whim of your right foot. It's simple but it does take a little while for you to understand and FEEL how to "feather" the pedal (as I coined it here).

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Ask away any questions and do also check out the CMax Bar where a number of owners have posted up pictures of their precious CMax. We do  :love_shower:  our CMaxs here. :victory:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Hi Mildred, and Welcome to the Forum! When I got my C-MAX, the dealership set me up with one of their tech guys for an hour to go over some of the features of my car. He was good, but I've learned way more from the members of this forum. So you came to the right place. 

I know it can seem a little overwhelming at first, and you wonder if you'll ever master it all, but take it a day at a time......a ride at a time. As others have said, in the beginning just drive it like your old car. Soon the car will begin to *teach* you how to drive it. (When I was told that, I laughed, but it's true!) 

Depending on the package you got with your car, there are some features that you may seldom use and some you will wonder how you ever got along without! The technology is amazing! But don't let it scare you....play around with stuff and find the features that work for you.

There is a ton of great information here, and incredibly helpful members, so read, read, read previous posts, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

You're gonna love your car!

Adair

Edited by Adair

Mildred, congratulations on your new C-Max.  As others have said, don't worry so much about all the technology in the car, but just enjoy it as you learn about all the bells and whistles.  Many you will use, and others not.  And know that there are a lot of people on this forum who are glad to answer any questions you may have.  This forum has more friendly, knowledgeable and patient people than any other, I believe.