Check Engine Light Update

rfaunce

Although I can't seem to find the thread, I wrote in a while ago about a persistent check engine light on my 2013.  My car is a very early production model so maybe the issue was unique t it.  In any event, the bad - it took two long-term stays at the local dealer (totaling about a month) to root out the problem.  In short, there was a bad wiring connector, bad O2 sensor and a bad engine control module. Interestingly, the biggest time consumer was that the O2 sensor had to be re-engineered by a Canadian supplier and there was a delay due to US Customs.  

The good - my local dealer and Ford kept me apprised constantly of the status of the repairs, parts and so forth.  In addition, Ford and then the local dealer paid for my choice of rental cars.  Now that I got the car back, it has been performing unbelievably.  Runs great and I have averaged between 48-52 mpg under pretty good driving conditions.

Also good- the cars i rented consisted of 2013 Dodge Avenger, Toyota Camry, Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata.  I put at least 300-400 miles on each.  I drove the same roads under mostly the same conditions as the C-Max but the very best I could do was 34 mpg with the Camry and under 30 mpg with the Dodge (which was a pitiful car).  The mpgs nosedived any time I drove in the city.

Now, we all know that the mpg of any hybrid takes a hit in the winter due to heater use and battery warm-up time but the mileage I am getting is truly impressive and I can also say that the C-Max surpasses in comfort, driver friendliness, handling and utility all of the cars i rented.