Where do I put album art on SD card?

Sometimes album cover art appears with a song, and sometimes it does not. The music category appears instead.

When I made the SD card, I simply copied folders of artists and albums onto the card. There is no album art on my SD card.

Next time, where can I put the album art so it plays with every song in an album? Thanks.

If you have a PC I would suggest you use Media Monkey (free software) that will allow you to manage your album art.

The short answer is that you can embed it into each MP3 file, but you can do other things as well.  Media Monkey automates the process (just select your album, press Ctrl-L and choose "Get from web" and it will look up the artwork.  Then select all the songs and they will have the art embedded into them for display).

We have iTunes on the PC, but I used Linux (Banshee) to convert CD audio to MP3.

I did not know that MP3 files can contain album art! Seems wasteful of space because of repetition, but could explain why some songs show cover art and others do not.

Thanks.

In general the thumbnails are so very small it doesn't take up room that you even need to worry about.  And some of your MP3s already have them embedded in them (so you never know it anyway).

The philosophy is that not all MP3s stay "with an album" -- if you have an MP3 on its own it contains other information embedded in it as well (like what album it comes from, the album artist, etc.)  So they *should* be self-contained in that respect.  The album art is just another "tag" that should properly be within that MP3 so it stays immune to wherever it ends up.

If you have a PC you can install Media Monkey and let it correct all your stuff -- I was able to do 500 albums in an hour or two.