A Visit from C-Max Expert

Kelleytoons

C-Max%20Visit.jpg

So Paul Jones (ptjones) visits me today (driving over an hour just to take the time to help).  He gave me great tips on getting the kind of gas mileage he does (which I'll *never* be able to match -- sigh) and even set up my gauges correctly.

(Paul is the handsome guy on the left -- I'm the tired looking, tennis weary guy that remains).

Thanks, Paul.  Now if we could just get a C-Max get-together here in Florida of ALL the folks who live in the south...

C-Max%20Visit.jpg

So Paul Jones (ptjones) visits me today (driving over an hour just to take the time to help).  He gave me great tips on getting the kind of gas mileage he does (which I'll *never* be able to match -- sigh) and even set up my gauges correctly.

(Paul is the handsome guy on the left -- I'm the tired looking, tennis weary guy that remains).

Thanks, Paul.  Now if we could just get a C-Max get-together here in Florida of ALL the folks who live in the south...

And Paul's car is on the left sporting the world famous grill covers!

Yup, I got to see the covers among the other mods Paul has made to squeeze the last ounce of mileage out.

After he left I went down to the auto store (for some more stuff for my emergency kit) and the kids working there were asking me what the heck it was that I was driving, as they are used to seeing almost anything and had no idea what it was that *I* had.  If only Paul and I could have driven in together <g>.  It's another tiny perk of having the C-Max (in that you aren't driving yet *another* Prius).

Paul could very well do that job -- I told him Ford ought to pay him to go around and give those tips and tricks.

I had a great time meeting with Mike and was glad to help. Mike says he's retired, but playing Tennis 4-5 times a week doesn't fit the picture. LOL I will stick to riding my bicycle 3 times a week and still working. LOL  Wouldn't mind helping others if I happen to be in their area. I do travel all over the country for business and occasional vacation(LOL), usually combine the two. I got the chance to meet (Brother Mike)mtb9153 back in Feb. and that was a fun . :) 

Paul

Sometimes I *wish* it were only 4-5 times a week -- in the winter I usually play 6 days a week and seven or eight times (at least twice on Mondays).  But this week I only played six times (five days, but twice Mondays).  But I do what I can as long as I'm healthy enough (as there will surely be a time when I'll be lucky to get out on a golf cart and hit a little ball around once a week :>).

I kind of like that commercial where they have all the folks write on the wall what they'd like to get paid for and then they turn around and say that retirement is just that.  So I *am* getting paid to play tennis, create animations (we also do an animated series about life in an adult retirement community), swim and watch movies.  I can't imagine any more fun than that (unless, of course, you're a Ford expert who can travel around the country getting great gas mileage and overall being a wonderfully nice guy who likes to help others :>).

Again, many thanks for taking the time and effort to meet me, and let's hope it's not the last time we get together. 

Thread jack!

Sometimes I *wish* it were only 4-5 times a week -- in the winter I usually play 6 days a week and seven or eight times (at least twice on Mondays).  

Kellytoons is doing it right folks. :rockon:   At least by me and my "life coach" that I found in this book:  http://www.youngernextyear.com/       It was recommended to me a couple of years ago by someone on the prius forum.  I've been following it ever since and I truly do feel soooooooo much better aka younger; especially after I lost 60lbs! :happy feet:    I exercise 45-60 minutes everyday 6 days a week and I quit eating crap.   ;)

Here's a street scene of 1901 New York City.  What is the common factor of ALL the people in it?

Edited by fotomoto

Ah, there is a commonality to us, Doug.  I, too, lost some weight (about 65 pounds in around 9 months).

The weight crept up on me slowly (was always thin well into my 30's) but one day I looked around and -- I was FAT!   So I started eating healthy and never looked back (because there's no such thing as a "diet" per se -- it is a change in your life style that you dedicate yourself to doing, and the good news is that after you stop eating crap in a few months you not only don't miss it, you really can't eat it again.  Quick tip for the mostly guys around here: we tend to "drink" our calories, so if you can only do ONE thing change to drinking *only* water and unsweetened tea and coffee and the pounds will melt away.  I lost 20 pounds in the first couple of months doing this alone.  Unfortunately, diet drinks are just as bad, for reasons they have yet to figure out, and as someone who was addicted to my soft drinks I *never* thought I could do it but I haven't had one in four years and when I tried as an experiment it tasted as horrible as anything I could imagine).

Anyway, as I lost weight I was able to play more tennis (always played, but usually could only manage it once or twice a week) so it was a cycle that re-enforced itself.  But, again to preach (I guess I *can* hijack my own thread :>) the key to weight loss is diet AND working your muscles.  And this means either weight lifting or body weight exercises (like pushups, which I can now do 80 at once, which ain't bad for a very old man, and pullups, which I am still struggling to master).  Major muscle groups (chest and legs) are really the key, as changing into muscle means you burn calories even during your off hours.  The absolute best bang for the buck is to do HIIT (high intensity interval training) and I'll leave it to you to Google how, but if you do you might notice that tennis as an activity fits it fairly perfectly.

So my pants size went from 44 to 32 and I can now beat almost anyone I play (although I pick my opponents carefully <g>) but the best thing of all is how my health has improved.  I no longer have to take blood pressure and cholesterol meds, I can sleep through the night (no more apnea nor snoring) and I feel better than I did when I was in my 30's.  I would advise anyone whose waist size is greater than half their height (this is the standard for all males to attain) to stop procrastinating and start doing it right.  You will not only live longer, you will enjoy it far more (and for those of you who haven't made it to retirement yet, I can tell you it is all that I ever wanted and a LOT more -- it's the greatest thing I could have ever dreamed and every day is a vacation).

Here's a link to some images of me before/after along with some tips:

http://kelleytown.blogspot.com/2010/12/lose-weight-without-wait.html

...(Paul is the handsome guy on the left -- I'm the tired looking, tennis weary guy that remains).

You're the guy in front of the handsome car on the right... let's get our priorities straight; Ice Strom beats drab old Ingot Silver any day... and direct sunlight nicely shows it to be green as well!!

HAve fun,

Frank, who hasn't retired yet, but is working on his waistline, nonetheless...

Well, we DO love our Ice Storm color -- it actually matches our house trim (when we finally get our personalized plates I'll take some images and post so folks can see).

It varies a lot -- I often see it as more blue than anything -- but our house trim is sort of a sea foam greenish tropical color that my wife and I both like.  And we already have a silver car (the Durango) so we wanted something with a little color (but not too much, because at our age really strong colors are a bit too garish for our tastes).  Ice Storm was the best color of the Ford cars we saw (although the Honda had a pretty terrific blue that we both could have loved... just not the car :>).

Felt so strongly about Ice Storm they had to find a car at another dealership (and it was nip and go there as to whether we could get all we wanted on it).  It would have been a deal-breaker not to get this color.

Edited by Kelleytoons

You're the guy in front of the handsome car on the right... let's get our priorities straight; Ice Strom beats drab old Ingot Silver any day... and direct sunlight nicely shows it to be green as well!!

HAve fun,

Frank, who hasn't retired yet, but is working on his waistline, nonetheless...

Hey wait a minute I like my silver! LOL Mike is in good shape though and have to be impressed losing all that weight. :)

Paul

I have to admit it was hard to get used to living in a state with no front license plates required.  We've always had personalized plates and there's less incentive to "personalize" your car when you only have a back plate.

But I agree that the C-Max looks better without a front plate (again, I'm used to cars and trucks that actually were designed to have a front plate, whereas clearly the C-Max is not).