Another New Chicagolander

StoBro2

I just drove home in my Tuxedo Black SE. My first hybrid. Also my first car without a clutch pedal, and I've been driving for over 35 years. I decided to make a drastic change after realizing my monthly gasoline expenses were about the same as my monthly food bill and about the same as all of my household utilities. And I don't drive all that much.

I'll be checking this forum to see if the various strange (to me) noises this car makes are normal or cause for panic. And judging by all of the publicity surrounding it, I'll be complaining about the My Ford Touch system sooner or later.

My recent automobile history includes an Audi A3 2.0T, a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI (a car better suited for long commutes than my multiple daily short trips) and most recently a BMW 328i x-drive wagon. The Bimmer was nice, probably too nice, with all of the luxury appointments and automatic memory this-and-that. I never drove it to its full potential, and I felt all of the luxo features were wasted on me as well.

The C-Max appears to have everything I need and nothing I don't want. I would have preferred having a real spare tire, but I got used to not having one in the Bimmer. And I would have preferred a manual transmission, but I know they aren't really compatible with a hybrid powertrain. I love the slightly elevated driving position while keeping a fairly low center of gravity. I've avoided all SUVs and crossovers in the past due to their up-on-tiptoes feel in corners. And at the risk of sounding like a xenophobe, I'm glad to be back in a car assembled in the USA by an American manufacturer.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Welcome. Tuxedo black sounds nice. I have a SEL on order --maybe coming at the end of the month. The C-Max that we test drove was very quiet so I am not sure what sounds you are hearing? Some forum members do mention a fan like sound. I liked the elevated driving postition too and it was one of the reasons I ordered one. Looking forward to your photos.

Hey StoBro2 welcome!!; I also live in the 'burbs outside of Chicago but no quite as far north. A bit surprised you would not have gone with a SEL versus SE (I like the leather seats, push button start, etc. in the SEL) but I'm sure you had your reasons. I actually like the higher seat height in crossovers, etc. as they give you a bit advance notice of what's ahead in traffic and as the C-Max isn't quite as high as some of them it may be a decent compromise on not being too top heavy as you mentioned. Will be curious on how our colder temps ahead effect the range; I'm already used to a few noises not found in gas only cars (my LEAF will emit a Jetson like noise on hard acceleration) but on the C-Max I test drove I could only detect something when the regen was kicking in and then only on the plug-in Energi not the straight hybrid (also drove a hybrid SEL whcih I'm leaning more towards).

I just drove home in my Tuxedo Black SE. My first hybrid. Also my first car without a clutch pedal, and I've been driving for over 35 years. I decided to make a drastic change after realizing my monthly gasoline expenses were about the same as my monthly food bill and about the same as all of my household utilities. And I don't drive all that much.

I'll be checking this forum to see if the various strange (to me) noises this car makes are normal or cause for panic. And judging by all of the publicity surrounding it, I'll be complaining about the My Ford Touch system sooner or later.

My recent automobile history includes an Audi A3 2.0T, a VW Jetta SportWagen TDI (a car better suited for long commutes than my multiple daily short trips) and most recently a BMW 328i x-drive wagon. The Bimmer was nice, probably too nice, with all of the luxury appointments and automatic memory this-and-that. I never drove it to its full potential, and I felt all of the luxo features were wasted on me as well.

The C-Max appears to have everything I need and nothing I don't want. I would have preferred having a real spare tire, but I got used to not having one in the Bimmer. And I would have preferred a manual transmission, but I know they aren't really compatible with a hybrid powertrain. I love the slightly elevated driving position while keeping a fairly low center of gravity. I've avoided all SUVs and crossovers in the past due to their up-on-tiptoes feel in corners. And at the risk of sounding like a xenophobe, I'm glad to be back in a car assembled in the USA by an American manufacturer.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Congrats, I traded a 2010 Jetta TDI for my C-Max.

Other than the sound of what I assume are relays clicking upon shutdown and the lack of any noise upon startup, I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary.

I went the the SE trim level because I have decided I don't like leather. I've had it, or leatherette, for the past 7 years and the benefits don't outweigh the costs for me.

Freezing cold in the winter, so seat heaters are a must.

Burning hot in the summer with no breathability, so I have to peel my back out of the seat.

Any leather color other than black is subject to dye transfer stains from your clothes, which are a pain to get out.

I would have preferred having a real spare tire, but I got used to not having one in the Bimmer. ...I love the slightly elevated driving position while keeping a fairly low center of gravity. I've avoided all SUVs and crossovers in the past due to their up-on-tiptoes feel in corners.

Did it come with an inflate kit at least? The dealer I asked couldn't tell me. :/

That's one reason I'm interested in the C-Max. I get a bit claustrophobic and in my current car (Honda Element) you have great visibilty from large windows so I've been afraid to move to a smaller car. I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove the C-Max how huge and open the front windshield was and I didn't feel confined at all.

I see that you kept any dealer plate frames or stickers off it ... looks quite good in black!

Whenever I buy a car, I ask them to remove their logos off of the car (if they've affixed them). They don't like it when I asks but I'm not into free advertising. There's enough ads hitting you in the face every day. If someone asks, I'll gladly tell them where I got my car.

The black looks great. The first dealer I talked to has a black one. He was unwilling to negotiate (and it's still sitting on his lot.)

Edited by CrystalSC