Favorite Sirius Station?

Yeah, we're not going to keep it.

(I do like the Comedy station on the *very* infrequent times we turn it on -- can't tell you the number because it's the only one it's ever on, but you can easily find it as it's the "family" one as the rest of them are just too loud and bad for even MY taste :>).

But I'll try that "Love" station just to see how it sounds (my other knock against Sirius is that it sounds MUCH worse than my MP3 songs).

Edited by Kelleytoons

Willie's Roadhouse.  If I am blue or feeling discouraged, I crank it up and sing loudly and cry.  Perfect to get the emotions out LOL.  I like Bridge too, but have not heard of Love--I'll look for it.  I love my Sirius.  I bought the lifetime recently and supposedly I can transfer it 3 times if necessary.  I did renew my 6 month several times, and got real deals by following internet advice i.e. Sirius tells you it will be $110 for six months and you respond that you can't afford that and will have to cancel.  Then they offer something like $30 for six months.  If push comes to shove and they don't offer a deal, let them cancel and they will be calling you with a deal or you can call back in an hour and get another agent who likely will give you a deal.  Worked like a charm for us.  We kept getting low 6 month renewals.

I had Sirius on a previous vehicle, and it was right for the time. I have since moved on, and I am not missing it at all.

As stated, I find that it sounds terrible. I never had this poor sound with the prior vehicle, but it is so bad that I couldn't deal with it in the C-MAX, even with the upgraded sound system. Also, when you are on the road for long stretches, even Sirius gets to a point where they replay the shows.

Instead of Sirius, I stream from my cellphone for a lot of my listening. If I am in a news or information mood, I listen to Stitcher (app) or a podcast for free. For music, I elected to pay the fee ($9.99) for Spotify (there is a free version with lesser features), because you can pick a specific song or artist to play, you can play a specific genre, or you can use it like a radio (where the "station" plays based upon your thumbs up or down of music), and you can skip tracks at any time, which means no listening to the same songs over and over again. I also like that I am the one who controls the start and stop of everything.

I do miss a couple of the shows that I used to listen to on Sirius. However, when they have the free weekends and such, I've re-listened, and what I hear only serves to confirm that I should not go back.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Yeah, I might pay $60 a year for it, but certainly nothing more.  In addition to Scuba's recommendation there are all kinds of free possibilities that have, IMHO, better sound and better choices.  iTunes Radio is very nice, particularly if you already have the $25 per year music subscription so you can stream all your stuff as well.  It's a good "learner" as well and gives you ideas about stuff you can then add to your collection.  But all of them are worth exploring: Pandora, Rhapsody, Beats, iHeartRadio, etc. etc.

Like Shiny I have 32gb of music on a drive so small you can't even see it in the compartment -- and during Christmas I'll add some seasonal stuff in the other slot.  I really like the fact I can say "Play Playlist Jazz" and it plays very high quality only the best stuff randomized so that I'd have to play for three weeks before I'd hear the same first rate song again (with four or five such playlists I'll never run out of music that *i* like to hear).  And, of course, if a song comes up I don't feel like listening to it's a simple steering wheel click to the next.

Well we live in western Canada and it gets very tedious to listen to recorded music only on long trips.  It is nice to have Sirius radio through the mountains and up country where radio reception is sketchy at best.  I like Sirius to listen to the news and hear some discussion of current events and weather especially when driving on my own up country.  We don't get things like Pandora.  Same as we don't get traffic reports on Sirius, we don't get lots of the things on Sync like the vehicle health report.  Not complaining at all as I love the slower pace of life compared to the US.  I honestly don't find the sound on Sirius any different than hooking up the Ipod or playing CD's.  Our sound system is excellent in the C-Max.

I think there are two very distinct types of listening experiences with music: there is the "recorded" experience of your own music collection, in which you have hand picked only the best songs or artists, and there is the exploratory experience you get when listening to music fed to you from someone else's collection.  Both have value and both have drawbacks.

With your own music you are only getting what you like to hear, but you aren't completely surprised.  You still can be surprised in many ways -- I have a music collection that would take me over 60 days of non-stop listening to hear it all (or to put it another way, at driving even 2 hours a day I wouldn't hear the same song for at least two years and most likely three).  But even though I might not be hearing a song repetitively there isn't anything played that would be by an artist I wasn't at least familiar with the name.

With any of the radio services you can hear a LOT of things you aren't at all familiar with, and this is a two-edged sword.  You can discover new artists and open up your world in ways that is amazing (I found there is a whole section of country western music I like, even though the genre as a whole leaves me cold, when I heard a song by Blake Sheldon on the FM station my wife had left on.  And now I have a large collection of it I can listen to whenever I feel in that mood).  And you can hear an awful lot of stuff you may not *want* to hear, and that's where a service like Sirius really falls down for me.  When I feel in an exploratory mood I turn to music services that feed up the same kind of "new" experience yet allow me to quickly skip to the next song if I'm hearing something I don't like.  With Sirius my only choice is to change stations.

But, different strokes...  Some people either aren't as discriminating in their tastes or find some radio that happens to match their own.  Even on the custom services like Pandora or iTunes Radio, where I can "tune" the station by telling it exactly the artists I enjoy the most, I find "clunkers" played quite often (because those services attempt to find similar artists but sometimes such artists aren't all that similar.  And, let's face it, even the people we like to produce our music don't hit it out of the park all the time).  I find myself skipping songs quite a bit on those and can't imagine living with it on Sirius (although the comedy channel isn't bad -- a bad joke goes by quickly :>).

Edited by Kelleytoons

Since we are generalizing and coming up with theories on musical tastes, I think that people who record their own music don't try knew things and don't think outside the box LOL. I can say this as I live with a man who loves his canned music.  My husband records all his favourites to have on his various Apple devices, and he is a very concrete thinking type.  Me I love hearing new artists and finding new favourites. I will play someone new for him and he will think about it and listen a few times and then it might go onto his beloved play list. I think you cannot analyze music tastes--too much left and right brain influence.  My  favourite listening device is an Ipod loaded with alternative music that I bought at a police auction.  It has 5000 songs and all are Indie artists.  It is the most amazing music and the poor fellow that lost it must still be grieving. The beauty of Sirius radio is that you can skip through so many options and find something to find your mood of the moment.

You can discover new artists and open up your world...

Going Siriusly-off-topic for the music-discovery, open-world types...

I've done sound for a local community theatre, so I have accumulated a collection of (mostly free) music I wouldn't ordinarily (or ever?) listen to, but I often rely on it for pre-show, intermission, and post-show music appropriate for the theme or time period of the play. And yes, the theatre pays an annual ASCAP license fee to play these tunes legally.

Amazon.com (and I suppose Amazon.ca) offers at least 100 completely free albums for download all the time.

I check this bookmark at least weekly: 

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-MP3-Downloads/zgbs/dmusic/digital-music-album/

The default selection is Top 100 Paid. Click 'Top 100 Free'. Many are 'samplers' from smaller music publishers, featuring one or two songs each from their featured artists. With a registered Amazon account (Amazon Prime is NOT required) you can save any current selections to your Amazon Cloud Player to listen to the full tracks, and then download those tracks you enjoy to your devices, or delete them and move on...

Disclaimers: I've often used the term 'Alternative' as a euphemism for 'not very good'. And IMO there's a lot of free 'Alternative' to be found. There is plenty of 'Death Metal' too, but you can usually tell by the title that Black Flags of Hate by the artist Thulcandra on the album Napalm Records All Stars isn't going to sound much like Perry Como singing Catch a Falling Star.

Vintage Vinyl Anyone?

I purchased a quality USB turntable with a quality phono cartridge and stylus a few years ago. First I converted my own vinyl collection, at least those that weren't worn-out. Now I dig through the $1 bin of vintage vinyl albums at the Half Price Books stores in my area to fill out my collection of 60's-70's-80's music and convert it to digital tracks. 

Vintage Vinyl Purchasing Hint for those of you too young to remember cassette audio: By the late 1970's, the quality of home cassette tape audio recording and playback equipment improved to the point where most people bought albums, and then recorded them onto cassettes to play in the car or on their Walkman, and then they shelved the vinyl, having played it, at most, only enough times to make a tape. So you can find a huge selection of vintage vinyl recordings (that you probably heard your parents or grandparents playing) from the late 70's and newer, in perfect condition, and very cheap. One pop or click doesn't bother me any more than it did 'way back when' when there was no digital alternative. And $1 for a vinyl album of eight or ten classic rock songs usually beats $.99 or $1.29 per track for some re-mastered and re-mixed digital stuff that often doesn't sound much like the albums I virtually memorized, note for note.

Edited by kostby

I really don't have a favorite but if I could "roll my own" it would mainly be a blend of The Spectrum and Classic Rewind with some occasional offerings from First Wave and Octane and hourly news updates.   :confused: :lol2:

My wife could set it to "The Pulse", rip the knob off, and be happy.

Edited by fotomoto

Yeah, and a lot of people are up in arms about it (it's not a very good album, and you cannot -- absolutely cannot -- get rid of it.  Oh, you can try, but it will come back, like a bad penny).

A sad last gasp from a once great band, promoted by an otherwise stellar and forward thinking company.  A shame that it came out on a day that otherwise is pretty exciting (I'm staying up until 3am to order the new phones for my wife and I).

• 3 weeks later...