Buying used 2013 C-Max vs. new (or used) 2014?

Denverdavo

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and am considering buying a used C-Max SEL or possibly a new (or slightly used) 2014 model.  I've driven several new 2014s and am impressed by what I've experienced so far.

After reading about some of the hardware changes that Ford made to the 2014 after the fuel economy issues, I'm wondering if those

changes are worth the extra that it would cost for a 2014, or possibly to wait a while longer for a used 2014.  I tend

to prefer to buy a slightly used car if possible.

Here's what Ford said in a bulletin as the 2014 was coming out:

The upgrades build on powertrain software updates Ford announced last month for the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid. The 2014 C-MAX also will benefit from several hardware changes, including:

• Gearing changes that result in a more efficient transmission drive ratio
  • New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics
  • New engine oil with reduced friction

Also, there may be other little things that were corrected after issues with the launch of the car in 2013.  And, I also heard there was some programming change that allows the battery to operate up to speeds of 85 mph instead of only 65 mph.  I'm not sure if that change was applicable to the 2013 model or not.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?  2013 or 2014?

I really appreciate your input!  Thanks!

Edited by Denverdavo

I'll respond, based primarily upon comments documented in this fordcmaxhybridforum.com online community, obviously a completely unscientific collection of responses by owners who have joined and posted here

Most early production issues have apparently been resolved with recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's).

I'm not making excuses for defects created on the assembly line, nor letting Ford off the hook for insufficient testing. The reality is that all cars today are extremely complex mechanical systems combined with many sophisticated computer controls, so the 'perfect' new car model that will never have any recalls or updates required no longer exists. I view recalls and TSB's as proof that manufacturers are indeed responsive to customer feedback, complaints, and of course government inquiries.

From my perspective, these are the primary 2013 model year remaining issues:

1. Dead 12-volt batteries on certain models of 2013's, usually after being parked for 8-hours or longer, that can render the car completely 'dead' and require a jump-start. There have been a number of causes and subsequent Technical Service Bulletins issued.

2013 Hybrid SE's with Equipment Group 200A or Equipment Group 201A seem to have far more issues with dead batteries than SE's with 202A or 203A, or any 2013 Hybrid SEL's. 

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1294-for-those-who-have-had-12v-battery-problems

No such 'battery poll' of 2014 owners exclusively exists, to my knowledge, likely because far fewer 2014 owners have experienced unexplained dead batteries.

The recent (September 2014) TSB could potentially resolve remaining battery issues, but few affected 2013 owners have had the opportunity to take their vehicles in for this service yet, and it is not a 'recall', so we simply don't know yet.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4307-12v-battery-tsb-14-0155/

2. Squeaks and rattles.

---

To address your other concerns:

2014 Model Year UPDATES TO IMPROVE FUEL ECONOMY:

The changes from 2013 to 2014 model years to increase fuel economy seem to have a very minor real-world effect.

Ford did not raise the EPA estimates for 2014 models (or for 2015 models for that matter).

There is a minor change (decrease) of $50 in the annual cost of fuel to drive 15,000 miles between most recent EPA numbers (42 city/40 combined/37 highway) displayed 2013 and 2014 Monroney window stickers. The ACTUAL price decrease from Model Year 2013 to Model Year 2014 is $18.75, not $50.00. The decrease is NOT because the EPA numbers improved, but because the price of gas used in the calculation decreased by $0.05 per gallon. The price of the gasoline used in the calculation decreased from $3.55 per gallon on 2013 stickers to $3.50 per gallon on 2014 stickers. 15,000 miles divided by 40 (the combined number) miles per gallon is 375 gallons. At 3.55, the annual cost is $1,331.25, apparently rounded up to $1350. 375 gallons at $3.50 is $1,312.50, apparently rounded down to $1300.

Saving or spending $50 equates to about one tank of gas, 500 to 600 miles  driving range over 12 months and 15,000 miles of driving.

OIL VISCOSITY:

The 2014 change in engine oil specification (0w20 instead of 5w20) is also factory-authorized for 2013's.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3719-oil-viscosity-specification-for-2013-2014-c-max-hybridenergi

62mph vs 85mph in EV MODE:

The programming change to allow 85mph in EV mode was Field Service Action #13B07 and should have been applied to all 2013's as well.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread

---

What would I purchase?

We did purchase a brand new 2013 in late March 2014. Most of the 2013 issues seemed resolved at that time, and several more have been resolved during our first six months of ownership. We buy about one new car per decade, so this one has been amazing, even with a few minor glitches, including a dead battery (twice) at home. Plugging in a battery charger quickly resolved the issue each time. We have not had the car in to the dealer yet for the most recent TSB's and updates.

The bottom line for you:

How much time to you want to spend looking?

Which model and options are you considering?

Which is more valuable to you, your time or your money?

Would you rather spend hours (days, weeks, months) of your time searching for and negotiating the very best deal possible on a used C-MAX, or spending more (maybe substantially more), but getting the exact new vehicle you want from dealer inventory relatively quickly (assuming you do not need to special-order it and wait for it to be built and delivered).

Would we purchase the exact same vehicle again? Absolutely.

---

New-car dealers often make far more profit selling used cars and certified-used cars than they do selling new cars.

Edited by kostby

I've had my 2013 SEL since late may.  It was used with about 11000 miles on the clock for under $20K  and a lot of bumper to bumper factory warranty left.

the 2014 is going to cost you more up front when compared to a similar mileage 2013.  but you are getting a year extra warranty...

the car  replaced a prius.  The  Ford has been trouble free, no problems, no issues...no visits to the dealership.  It does need to go for the seatback and airbag recall.  the car has never failed to start  and I'm getting good mileage. 

I'll respond, based primarily upon comments documented in this fordcmaxhybridforum.com online community, obviously a completely unscientific collection of responses by owners who have joined and posted here

2013 Hybrid SE's with Equipment Group 200A or Equipment Group 201A seem to have far more issues with dead batteries than SE's with 202A or 203A, or any 2013 Hybrid SEL's. 

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1294-for-those-who-have-had-12v-battery-problems

No such 'battery poll' of 2014 owners exclusively exists, to my knowledge, likely because far fewer 2014 owners have experienced unexplained dead batteries.

Thx for the great post.

Stating to stay away from an SE is very difficult thing to say based on the survey results.  In fact I think the SE with equipment group 202 or 203 had less issues than an the SEL's.  The survey does not take into account the number of owners so it is hard to compare.  I ended up buying a new SE with the 202A group.  So far so good.  

Good luck on your decision.   

Thank you all for your help!  I'm a bit confused over the dead battery issue on the 2013s in particular.  Did any of the TSA bulletins resolve the issue?  How did Ford respond to the issue?

It's also interesting that you mentioned this.  When I went to look at the new 2014s at a dealership here in Denver, ALL of them had dead batteries and they had to jump start them.  When I mentioned that I had read something about dead batteries as an issue with this car, the salesman stated, "This happens to any car if it sits around long enough!".  

That's funny, because I've had cars sit for weeks, if not months and they always started up.  So, this is concerning for sure.  Any other thoughts?

Thank you all for your help!  I'm a bit confused over the dead battery issue on the 2013s in particular.  Did any of the TSA bulletins resolve the issue?  How did Ford respond to the issue?

It's also interesting that you mentioned this.  When I went to look at the new 2014s at a dealership here in Denver, ALL of them had dead batteries and they had to jump start them.  When I mentioned that I had read something about dead batteries as an issue with this car, the salesman stated, "This happens to any car if it sits around long enough!".  

That's funny, because I've had cars sit for weeks, if not months and they always started up.  So, this is concerning for sure.  Any other thoughts?

Is not uncommon for batteries to die on the lot. Happens all year long but even moreso in the winter. Even through the summer when moving the cars around it is not uncommon to have to get the jump box out for 2-3 cars.